Silver When You Least Expect, Just Dumb Luck Today!

milco

Elite Member
Hello Everyone,
It has been a long day today. I got up early to drive two hours north of Milwaukee to Oshkosh to be with my family while my grandfather underwent surgery for his cancer. I left the hospital about 4:30 in the afternoon and decided to take the scenic route along Lake Winnebago to Fond du Lac where I grew up. I ran into this park on my way out of town. (Fugleburg Park, but I didn't know the name until I looked it up online tonight.)
P6020030.jpg
P6020031.jpg

I decided to just do something relaxing that wouldn't take too much effort to get some fresh air and unwind, so I decided to hit the tot lot here at this park. This was the cleanest darn tot lot I have ever been to. One pull tab was all. So I applied my strategy of working around large old trees. I started walking towards the large clump of trees and picked up two memorials. All of the sudden I got a nice sharp signal and figured it was a copper penny or a dime. When I pulled out the coin and saw it was silver, and then saw it was a Barber dime, I just sat there in awe. I figured it would be a modern coin. It was only about 2 1/2 inches down. I could not believe it. This is my first Barber and my oldest silver coin to date. 1911 Barber dime.
06-02-09 Oshkosh Park.jpg
P6010020.jpg
P6010024.jpg
P6010027.jpg
P6010028.jpg
P6010029.jpg
I went on to finish up my hunt which was about 1-1/2 hours. I ended up with the little Jesus charm, the Barber dime, 1946 Wheatie, 3 quarters, 3 dimes, 8 memorials and about three dozen other pieces of can slaw, pull tabs and other trash. After I left I hit the retro drive in down the street and enjoyed a nice cold root beer and just sat there in amazement that no one else had picked up the dime before me and that it was even there in the first place. There was no research involved here, I just saw a park, pulled over and started swingin'. It really made a nice ending to a tough day. By the way, my grandfather came through the surgery like a champ and God willing, will be home soon.
I had to include a picture of the drive in. Sorry for the long post and thanks for lookin'.
P6020035.jpg

.............nice post. I am happy to hear your grandfather came through with flying colors! Oh, BTW............ Nice finds and Silver too!

Awesome story and even more ,an awesome ,awesome find !I know the feeling , such shock you can't even do the dance ,right ?
I love the area too been there many times .(Not detecting)
GO PACK !!
Congrats on the finds:cool::D

Sweet find! Sometimes dumb luck is the best kind!

That IS a good way to end your day, nice looking Barber! Glad your Grandfather is doing OK..

Bruce

Nice story and pictures . I am glad your grandfather came thru the operation ok , hope he gets better soon.
Its brings back old memories seeing a car hop on rollar skates thats a thing of the past for sure . lol Good Hunting

HH Harold

Grandfather is doing well...
Found a barber dime...
Ate at a fun-looking retro drive-in...

I'd say you had a great day!

Congrats on your oldest!

emdees

Nice write-up and pictures. Nice Barber Dime!!! It's amazing how lucky one can get the more one swings one's detector...:lol:

HH

Congrats on the shallow barber! I wonder how many people went right over that one thinking it was clad?!

I love the barber! Oh why can't they bring back lady Liberty to coins????

Back
Top Bottom