Ace400 Goes to the Beach

Like this one?

Cable Clam

Saw a bunch of styles, this one seemed the beefiest. I'll measure the connector and cable on the Ace (when I can find my calipers) to make sure I'm getting the right size.
You got it! Once you do that, you wont have to worry about rain either. Yay!

If you need more help, just PM me and ill get you going.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I found the same as you. With the lack of adjustable ground balance you have to lower the sensitivity and then loose depth. The way I ran was no notching which works in a wide block of numbers and not single numbers and low sensitivity and dug everything.

I ran full sensitivity, just notched out the iron and foil. Dug everything that made a noise. Got a lot of coins and lead fishing sinkers. Was finding coins at 8" no problem even through a crazy amount of black sand. The nickels told me I still had a pretty good shot at finding gold if I happened to swing over it, even if it was deep.

It should be noted, this was on a Jersey beach that I've been going to for more than 25 years and it was more sanded in than I have ever seen it... So there wasn't going to be much to find anyway. I'd say it's about 6-10' more sand than was there about ten years ago when residents had to have steel bulkheads driven into their back yards and then sued the township to get them to pile rows of massive boulders behind the steel after the wildlife sanctuary at the tip of the island washed away. Couldn't see any of the steel or boulders under the sand dunes this week and even at high tide there was 200 yards of sand to walk across to get to where the water was from the houses. The old wooden pier pillars that used to make for some dangerous kayaking in the inlet, are now nowhere to be seen (buried under the beach).

I still say put it on the bench and run a couple air tests. Two or three missed small gold items will more than pay for a detector and that falls in the tinfoil range. I have ran from sandy hook to asbury myself.

I'm still unclear how any of this will make a difference when the machine is in a constant state of false? When on the wet sand and in the water there was a 38 showing on the screen the whole time. Not a false ping here and a false ping there, just a solid 38 reading and constant tone. The only time that # went any higher was if I bumped the coil or put it over an object. So yes, some small gold may read 38 on the meter, but how are you going to know when you hit it if a 38 showing on the meter is the baseline? And not to beat a dead horse, but a chance to find 80% of the gold out there (above 40 on the meter) at maximum depth seems like a much better solution than crippling the machine altogether by turning the sensitivity all the way down.

If your steady falsing at 38 because of the salt, wouldn't that affect the readings of the range targets normally fall into? Like nickels at 53 and quarters at 88, does it skew those numbers mixed in with the salt?

I'd also think the mineralized salt would act like iron masking if you can't properly ground balance to it and are just notching it out not to hear it. It's still reading the salt and targeting off it even though you're just choosing not to hear it by notching.

Many of us don't like to dig iron due to nails and other stuff that is not commonly wanted to dig, so we notch iron out. Even though we're not hearing it anymore, the iron is still being read by the detector, and sometimes it can create an effect called "iron masking" where good targets under that iron cannot be read. I'm not sure if salt could possibly have the same effect resulting in "salt masking" but it sounds plausable resulting in limited depth even on full sensitivity.

The better option is to ground balance to the salt, effectively letting the detector know that is the norm and then it can truly ignore it and search through to other variables or targets outside that norm. At least that's the way I've understood it, could be wrong, wouldn't be the first or last time...

The Ace series have fixed ground balance, so that option isn't available to me. What they do have going for them is fast enough recovery speed that it seemed like whenever I got something under the coil it would sound off normally. Haven't spent enough time to see if the #'s are skewed like they are around here when it rains. I dug a lot of bottle caps today because they weren't coming up the usual 84/85, the ground is the wettest it's been since I bought my detector.

When I switched beaches the other day to the one that started producing, I was finding a ton of coins, including nickels, and my fair share of trash which included some pretty small bits of foil. If I'm still hitting nickels and foil, I should still be hitting most of the good stuff if I happen to swing over it, right?

As far as masking goes, I pulled a 3" coin the other day (can't remember if it was a penny or a dime) that had a 1"x3" piece of aluminum siding directly under it at 5". When I'm listening to what the Ace is telling me, it has a lot more information than whatever the #'s on the screen are saying (because they were telling me to not dig that coin)

ha ha ha :hornetsnest: I gave up on my pokes after going to Vero and seeing this college kid with his ACE250 clean house. he had a backpack full of to the brim with trash....and his shorts were sagging on one side from all the coins. I was shocked.

The area was so trashy, I couldn't swing the 15" coil without overloading it, so I stayed in the wet where all I found was fishing tackle. AArgh, I paid $2.50 for parking and left with $0.75. lol.

SCORE:
Minelab FBS: 0
ACE250: 1

Mud, I'm coming for you in spring (July, ha ha ha ha), once the ice thaws. Going to stay at my buddies place on Harsens Island (st. clair).

David,

IF you are coming to Harsen's Island you are in my neck of the woods not Mud's. PLEASE look me up. I have a boat on that lake and can take you to some great places. If interested keep me in mind.

Robert

The Ace series have fixed ground balance, so that option isn't available to me. What they do have going for them is fast enough recovery speed that it seemed like whenever I got something under the coil it would sound off normally. Haven't spent enough time to see if the #'s are skewed like they are around here when it rains. I dug a lot of bottle caps today because they weren't coming up the usual 84/85, the ground is the wettest it's been since I bought my detector.

When I switched beaches the other day to the one that started producing, I was finding a ton of coins, including nickels, and my fair share of trash which included some pretty small bits of foil. If I'm still hitting nickels and foil, I should still be hitting most of the good stuff if I happen to swing over it, right?

As far as masking goes, I pulled a 3" coin the other day (can't remember if it was a penny or a dime) that had a 1"x3" piece of aluminum siding directly under it at 5". When I'm listening to what the Ace is telling me, it has a lot more information than whatever the #'s on the screen are saying (because they were telling me to not dig that coin)

If you're still hitting nickels and foil, that's good. The only issue I could see was that the salt could react with a target and give you a kinda "chatty" or "broken" type signal because it's still reading the salt and the target, so the target might not sound as "solid" as in a different normal soil. By notching out the salt, you shouldn't hear the chatter as much but deeper things could still sound quite a bit "broken" with the detector still reacting off the salt even though it's not toning because it's notched. I hope that makes sense, so if in doubt...dig cause it could be something good even though it sounds weird. Sounds like you're manipulating the detector good though to suite your needs, pretty advanced detecting style there!

I don't think it's going to be able to get as deep as a multi-freq detector that can ground the salt out, but you should easily be able to get all the fresh drops and a good amount of medium depth targets. I believe the Ace 400 is a 2016 model, so it has newer technologies in it than many of the other Ace series.

I'm looking forward to heading back to the beach to try it again. We're getting some pretty good storms here today, lotsa wind and rain. Will have to check on beach reports and maybe I can sneak outa work one day later in the week.

Nice! First review I've heard on the 400 in salt water. Impressive. Next time you're out, do some "sand depth tests" on a quarter and ring, if you don't mind. Let's see what kind of real depth you're getting in Wet/Dry sand, if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Skippy

David,

IF you are coming to Harsen's Island you are in my neck of the woods not Mud's. PLEASE look me up. I have a boat on that lake and can take you to some great places. If interested keep me in mind.

Robert

Hey! What the hell? What am I? Chopped liver? FWIW, I'm a decent boat handler, trailer backer and all purpose deck boy! Eagle Scout, With a first aid cert, and a PADI tag!...Ungainfully self employed and only 3hrs west of you!...Dammit! Dont tell me I learned how to tie all sorts of knots and Be Prepared for nothing!:laughing::laughing:
Mud

Back
Top Bottom