150+ Years in the water

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
It was a beautiful 50 degree day so I brought the wife and kid to the beach. They spent the day playing in the sand while I played in the water and rocks. At one point my daughter was helping me scoop up targets which was fun. I didnt find any gold and only 2 coins all day but one of them was the first 2 Cent Piece of the year and my first ever from the water. Ive found 6 or 7 in the dirt but never water. The old pocket watch was a neat find as well. Ill have to try to clean it up.
7dfcdd515fb6602dcc328bd97acf60cb.jpg

9c52c1b9136429aee7bc602b4430d224.jpg

29bdda30eff1f35aecbf2499f1281b56.jpg

2f224c572d807812bfdbae23040c526f.jpg

2bf45297b6471ee029e3403bffa492b9.jpg

f24aa3626434ec064c75374dc9856356.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I found a 2 center in the water last year...a find like that makes you wonder what other coins/rings/relics of that vintage could be nearby...nice hunt George!

Very, very cool. It's especially neat because it's not a form of modern currency. You rescued a piece of history for sure!

Cool

2 cent piece Swing, i never found one down here, cool pick, your daughter should be ready for a metal detector in 2 years, happy hunting, Earl

George... looking at historical aerials I'm betting going to deep water there... lots of beach was there back in 1934... that beach is so sanded in close to shore... I can remember hunting right in front of it years ago and where the flats are was all rock and rubble... the rings that were pulled in my opinion came from deeper water... what is that brass thing in the middle of the picture?

Last time I was there I pulled a pocket watch as well as a V nickel but I missed the tide...

George... looking at historical aerials I'm betting going to deep water there... lots of beach was there back in 1934... that beach is so sanded in close to shore... I can remember hunting right in front of it years ago and where the flats are was all rock and rubble... the rings that were pulled in my opinion came from deeper water... what is that brass thing in the middle of the picture?

Last time I was there I pulled a pocket watch as well as a V nickel but I missed the tide...

I believe it's the tip to an old fishing pole. After nearly 3 hours out there yesterday, I FINALLY got into a nice trough that coughed up almost everything in the pic. The worst part was I looked back to shore to check on my wife and daughter b/c they'd be playing in the sand for a while at that point. I THOUGHT my wife was signaling that they'd had enough and were ready to leave. Really she was just trying to get my attention to see if I was hungry. So I waded all the way back from the far left point only to be asked "are you hungry? If not, we're having fun so keep going" By the time I waded back to that spot, the tide was coming in quickly and it was too deep. I also stepped in someone else's hole which caused me to get wet and that was the end of it. If it was closer I'd go back today and pick up where I left off.

I believe it's the tip to an old fishing pole. After nearly 3 hours out there yesterday, I FINALLY got into a nice trough that coughed up almost everything in the pic. The worst part was I looked back to shore to check on my wife and daughter b/c they'd be playing in the sand for a while at that point. I THOUGHT my wife was signaling that they'd had enough and were ready to leave. Really she was just trying to get my attention to see if I was hungry. So I waded all the way back from the far left point only to be asked "are you hungry? If not, we're having fun so keep going" By the time I waded back to that spot, the tide was coming in quickly and it was too deep. I also stepped in someone else's hole which caused me to get wet and that was the end of it. If it was closer I'd go back today and pick up where I left off.

George... the square brass piece.. I knew what the other thing was ;) I scored gold today... 2 grams of 14k.. an earring from our local Walgreens :D it must have been run over dozens of times... it makes me wonder if there is a diamond stuck in the tread of someone's tire as the stone is missing ;)

As to what happened with the wife... similar thing happened to me hunting a trough.. mine called me in to tell me she was cold and wanted to go home... I had 3 gold rings in my pouch after an hour of crawling with my PI and wanted to hunt it more... the next tide cycle I went back the trough was filled it... I was ticked off and promised myself I would never take her again with me................................and I haven't broken that promise :D

Square brass piece is some kind of latch or buckle. Almost looks like a luggage latch

Good finds for a family day outing. But looks like the real find is the cutie in front of you.
Thanks dirtydog. That kid is daddy's girl for sure and come march, she will have a little sister. She was out dirt digging in the yard with me yesterday and every plug i dug, she would say "please daddy can i have a penny". She now gets all the coins I dig.

Noreaster coming tonight and tomorrow Angel. Fingers crossed we get some good erosion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom