"Retro" Metal Detector

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
I bought an OLD C&G wildcat on craigslist a few months ago because I thought it looked cool. I used it once and realized how terrible it was as a metal detector lol.

A thought came to mind. Why not put some modern technology in an old retro looking detector? It looked cool, why not update it to modern tech?

I bought a broken Discovery 2200 on Ebay (the Elite 2200 happens to be my first metal detector and still one of my favs...) When it arrived the "broken" happened to be the batteries not making solid contact with the terminals. Easy fix and started right up.

After some hack sawing, drilling, and conductive pen work, VOILA! A C&G metal detector with the guts of a modern Elite 2200.

It still needs some work to finish, but pretty happy how it turned out.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• md4.jpg
    md4.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 607
  • md3.jpg
    md3.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 539
  • md2.jpg
    md2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 500
  • md1.jpg
    md1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 531
I have the same one Wildcat but certainly with no LSD display :laughing:
Its awesome coil allowed me to find a gold ring just under a metallic fence
with no interference :wow::cool:

Attachments

• Wildcat detector foto en la playa.jpg
    Wildcat detector foto en la playa.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 388
  • wildcat foto.jpg
    wildcat foto.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 395
Hay Ice Scratcher would that make you the Rat Fink of ice? The ice scratcher is by far the best concept in ice travel I have seen.

How cool is that. Nice Job, Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Cool little Frankenstein unit you got there.
I have a Compass unit with the same design and the only bad thing about it is the term "ergonomics" wasn't a term or even a hint of an idea that occured to any of those early engineers.

The ergonomics is terrible on this thing. It's not nearly as heavy as it was before with 10 (or was it 12...) batteries. Even still, it's not pleasant on the wrist.

I have the same one Wildcat but certainly with no LSD display
Its awesome coil allowed me to find a gold ring just under a metallic fence
with no interference

I love that yours has an American Flag on it.

I'm going to clean it up this weekend, make a few adjustments. It has a factory button on the handle that I would love to make functional. Maybe some of you have some ideas??? If I bought the elite 3300 or Discovery 3300 I could have used it for pinpointing. Unfortunately I don't have that option on the 2200. Maybe an LED light or.....

I'll take it to the park this weekend and see how well it does.

I'm going to clean it up this weekend, make a few adjustments. It has a factory button on the handle that I would love to make functional. Maybe some of you have some ideas??? If I bought the elite 3300 or Discovery 3300 I could have used it for pinpointing. Unfortunately I don't have that option on the 2200. Maybe an LED light or.....

I'll take it to the park this weekend and see how well it does.

Simple. If you can, install a sound chip, wired to the speaker and the red button. Find a sound chip that emits a programmable voice "Holy COW! 14 Karat gold ring! Dig here! Dig here!!" or "Uh uh... pull tab. Try again." or "1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar at seven and three quarters inches." when the button is pressed. Then, discreetly hit that button while detecting with other detectorists and brag about your "talking detector" "Yeah, this machine tells me EVERYTHING!" and watch them just faint!

SageGrouse

In street drag racing terms that is what you call a "sleeper"....

<°)))>{

+1 As soon as I saw it I thought to myself "yep, sleeper".... Then good Ol' Ice Scratcher stole my thunder! Lol. :laughing: If only there was an shady underground metal detecting counter culture, slipping into churchyards at midnight taking bets on timed finds. :laughing:

Thats a Restomod of a Detector

That's a "restomod" of an old detector. A restoration of a car keeps it stock and usually better than it came from the factory. A restomod is a restoration that incorporates modern upgrades such as engine, brakes and suspension. Maybe you could start your own "restotector" business. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom