"Resolution"? Adjusting for Metals?

Banned

I was going through some old posts and came across the word "resolution." While it sounded like its use was in regards to making sure that your MD was properly set up I wondered if it meant anything more than that. The same poster mentioned tuning your MD for the kind of metal that you were looking for. Now I always thought that your MD can't be tuned to just detect silver, gold, or whatever; that the best you could hope for is an accurate VDI read and good audio. But the poster's comments included this: "focus on the metal you want and tell (adjust settings for *that metal*) your detector what you want to find." Can you do that? (Note: The asterisks are my emphasis. I'd email the poster but don't want to sound like I'm challenging him as that's not my purpose)

Short answer is no. A detector can't be tuned to find a specific metal.

Long answer: A detector's discrimination adjustment can only resolve changes in the admittance of a target (admittance is a complex number composed of the target's conductance and its reactance). Many combinations of metals, mass and the geometrical shape of the target, will result in the same admittance.

Back
Top Bottom