When you see others detecting...

I haven't ran into anyone else detecting in a long time. In the last years I've had others that have seen me.. the first guy pulled up in his car and we chatted for awhile and he got out and detected on the other side of the public property. Another guy pulled up in his truck, was on his way to work, and we talked for awhile. I told him of the finds I'd made there years before and that there was still good coins to find there if he wanted to search it sometime. Both of these guys were newbies and these two lots used to have a school there are were city property.

The place mentioned in the above post was my first attempt to hunt sand. All three of the men hunting together that I encountered were probably at least in their 40's I think were experienced too. I really wanted to say something to the one closest to me about covering the holes but I figured there are 3 of them to one of me and I did not need to start a fight. I am now 74, 73 at the time the encounter took place. I just moved on and kept my mouth shut. I figured that this spot would get posted for no metal detecting after they dug all them very large holes. I am always careful to make my plug holes as neat and as small as possible. I have some very good clad honey holes and I do not want to get booted because of poor digging practices. I also can say I have permissions to all my spots.

" I figured there are 3 of them to one of me" by bubbaron
You know the old saying: "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal";):lol:

I know that talking to most of them doesn't do any good. Still I feel that I should try to repair any damage they do because it makes the rest of us look bad.

Old sales motto "you can talk your way out of a sales easier than talking your way into a sale"

I see lots of MDers on the beach and don't spend too much time yapping.

......might want to show them how to use a screwdriver here on this nice Sportsfield instead of a pickaxe and a D handle tiling spade!....:laughing:

I tried to explain to one couple who had a large shovel and were throwing the dirt everywhere that the needed something smaller and that they needed to refill their holes or it could cause the parks to be closed for everyone. They said that they had just got the detector and would be more careful in the future. A few days later I saw that they had been back and everything that I had said went right in one ear and out the other. I spent several hours trying to find enough dirt to fill their holes.

Right? I know..its a HUGE problem every Spring!...Ignorant Noobs out tearing up our turf! A guy has to decide what to do...fill their holes or dig our own? What are we out here for?

I've only once seen other detectorists in my town, but they were 2 of them off in the distance in a cow pasture and my wife and I were heading home from shopping and couldn't stop right then. Hopefully they were refilling their plugs and watching out for the cow patties :laughing:

If the noobs don't learn proper digging, it makes more work for the rest of us, if they can learn tips including using a screwdriver when possible it will help.

This......
mudsdiggers2a.jpg

NOT this.......:laughing::laughing::laughing:
mudhulkunfilledplugs.jpg

only people i come across are the lil kids at the beach or park sayin "Daddy whats that man doing?" Me: "please dont say looking for treasure, please dont sa-" Dad:"Hes just looking for treasure Jason." Kid:"TREASURE!!! I WANT TREASURE!!! TREASURE TREASURE TREASURE!!! CAN I HAVE IT? CAN I CAN I CAN I?":laughing:

kids want treasure

only people i come across are the lil kids at the beach or park sayin "Daddy whats that man doing?" Me: "please dont say looking for treasure, please dont sa-" Dad:"Hes just looking for treasure Jason." Kid:"TREASURE!!! I WANT TREASURE!!! TREASURE TREASURE TREASURE!!! CAN I HAVE IT? CAN I CAN I CAN I?":laughing:
I keep a bunch of clean foreign coins that i buy or find in coin star and give them one, a lot more impressive than a dirty penny. The kid gets a thrill and in the future may become a detector .

If I spot them while driving and they are hunting a spot I want kept for myself, I park around the corner limp up to them dragging one leg with my arms flailing around yelling " me huggy time" " me huggy time" over and over and over again while following them around the park.....and wouldn't you know it, I soon have the park to my self.

If I spot them while driving and they are hunting a spot I want kept for myself, I park around the corner limp up to them dragging one leg with my arms flailing around yelling " me huggy time" " me huggy time" over and over and over again while following them around the park.....and wouldn't you know it, I soon have the park to my self.
Now that would be fun to watch.

I wait until it looks like they are taking a break or getting ready to stop hunting. Then I sometimes turn off the detector and walk over to say hi. I dont like someone interrupting me while I am concentrating and " in the zone " , so I try to show the same courtesy that I would expect and appreciate from others. I be careful not to appear like I am detecting anywhere near someone else , since encroachers and " claim jumpers " are among the lowest of the low in this hobby , give people their space. You just have to find a way to be a friendly fellow hobbiest without bothering the person who may prefer to be left alone. In my experiences Ive been greeted with a smile and friendly conversation and at other times they act like I ruined their day by saying hello.

That's like the telemarketer calling and responding to there how are you? And going on with a list of dreadful things on that day:laughing:

I'm kind of a"loner" type and enjoy my privacy and respect others privacy too. If I talk at all it's just a quick hello and are you having any luck. After that I move on. I've come across others on quite a few occasions. Only one time did I engage someone and that was because he had no idea what he was doing and making a total mess of a small park in my hometown. My girlfriend is my hunt partner so there's no real need or desire to look for a hunting buddy.

I always try to say hi I believe in watching out for others just in case they might run into trouble. Only one time did I run into a guy in Hawaii that I did not care for. I kept an eye on him he liked to scan over the edges for the beach towels and take what the people put under them while they went into the water. Turns out this guy was caught by the police in the past but I guess somethings don't change.

Probably start with a small wave from a distance. If they wave back that's good.

If they don't wave back, maybe try again.

If they shoot you a middle finger. Are they bigger than you?

I usually only see other MDers at the beach, and like ohiochris, I will only talk to them if they a) look like they are taking a break or finished, and b) only if they don't appear to be in a bad mood or PO'd. Certainly don't need to have anybody "rip me a new one" so to speak. :lol: I have met some really nice MDers in the past.

Back
Top Bottom