SoCal Seated and a couple finds from Michigan. BTW, Hi everyone!

GStout76

Forum Supporter
Hey everyone. Sorry for not posting on this forum in a long time. I have been so busy traveling with work, I have not had time to detect (let alone post detecting photos).

This year has been a decent one for me, as I have gone for quality and not quantity. I have very little time to detect and as such, I have been very selective of my sites. I am at 47 silver coins, with most being Mercury dimes, a couple barber quarters, a couple SLQ's and the finds below.

I flew out to Michigan last week to help drive my son back to college, his grandparents got him a car for his sophomore year, so I took my new Equinox 800 there due to it's lightness and the ability to fit everything into my carry on. Anyways, while I was out there I was able to detect with my mom a couple times for short periods and found a 1917 (with stars) SLQ, a 1916 (no mintmark) Mercury, a 1916 buff and several wheats.

Michigan.JPG

Last weekend, I got back from driving my son to the Citadel and my buddies hit me up to go detect a spot we had done ok at a couple years ago and I had the afternoon to myself and went. Boy, am I glad I did. Due to proximity, they were able to get there 40 minutes before me and as I was unloading my gear, buddy #1 comes over and drops a 1904S Barber dime in my hand. Now, for those not familiar with SoCal detecting, Barbers, indians and V nickels are tough to come by. There are several hunters here that find them on occasion, that I respect their detecting prowess, but it is not common to find them. Right after that, buddy #2 calls me over as I put my coil to the ground and says he found a cool sterling silver ring that dates to around the 40's or 50's. They asked me to leave and come back, as it seems that was the trick for them to get some oldies in their pocket!

Anyways, I got to detecting and found a couple 20's era wheatbacks and hit a VERY deep signal that was very iffy. It was showing 9-10 inches from one direction and no depth, just audio, from the other direction on my CTX. I had dug several deep iron nails in that area that were good from one way, but not repeatable from the other, so I decided to dig this one. To my surprise at about 11 inches down (just past the my garret carrot depth plus the 2 inches of grass) I saw a little round silver disk with the "One dime" side facing up. I saw the O mintmark and new I had either a barber or seated. My internal voice was saying barber (as I have never pulled a SoCal seated), but my inner kid was saying "Seated, seated, seated"!

So I called my buds over and we flipped it over together and saw that pretty lady liberty sitting on her throne and we flipped out! What a great find for SoCal and the details were really nice. I could see them even under the silver oxide film that was on here. It is an 1891 O and I am happy to have her. We stayed another couple hours and I found a 1944 Merc and a couple more wheats. My buddies ended finding a 1954 Rosie dime and a no date SLQ too. So between the three of us, we hit the SoCal grandslam! What a fun day we had and I look forward to our next adventure. It will probably be much later in the year, as I have to travel to Thailand at the end of this week for 30 - 90 days for work.

Seated and merc.JPG Seated back.JPG

Thanks for looking and hope everyone is having a great year!

Take care,

Greg

Wow. That's a heck of a re-entry hunt! Congrats on the Seated, SLQ and other finds!

Nice digs G! Congrats on that last year seated. :aok:

I feel your pain on the very little time to hunt, and going for quality sites is the smart move to keep from getting frustrated in that small hunting window.

Get out there when you can and as long as you're killing it like this, you'll get to keep that grin for a good long while.

This explains why we have not seen a lot of you on the forum. Your one very busy man. No doubt Greg some real quality in your finds and for little metal detecting you have done you do have some superb numbers. Be safe on your trip, stop in when you can. Trapper

Congrats on the seated Greg. Those sure are tough to find he in SoCal. I found one back at the beginning of the year and that was only my 3rd ever. Sounds like your son is doing good and enjoying college. Have a good trip over seas.

Sorry for the late response, been super busy and finally had a moment to check back in. Sitting here in Thailand.... I wish I had brought my detector. With the amount of tourists hitting the beaches, I'm sure I would have had fun in the surf for some gold, plat and silver.

Anyways:

JWP - Thanks, I am glad to have found some finds in my pocket and not so common ones too!

OldsJunkie - Yes, everytime I think of the time spent detecting with my mom and that seated with friends, it brings a smile to my face!

Kiowa - Thanks, I know sometimes we forget how rare it is to find silver coins and we should always be appreciative of the ones that end up under our coil and into our pockets.

SG - Thanks!

Trapper - Thanks! As I can't detect much, I do often look at the boards, just have nothing to contribute. I do live my md'ing life vicariously through and a couple other hunters to help curb my wanting to get out and detect.

Tom - Thank you my friend! Can't wait til December! It is going to be a rockin' time!

Jason - Thanks, I hope your year is going well too! Yudai is really enjoying being back in school and Thailand has been very rewarding professionally. You just don't know you got what it takes until you perform on a world stage!

Thanks again for the comments and views, I hope everyone finds a largie in you pocket!

Greg

Back
Top Bottom