What can you tell me about this Beach Hunter?

jadocs

Forum Supporter
Hey all, I was wondering if you could give me any insight on this Whites detector. It appears to be an older model that has been lightly used. It was for sale locally and I couldn't resist picking it up for $260 (seemed like a steal, but could be wrong).

The older reviews seem mixed. Is it worth keeping and are there any issues I need to keep an eye out for?

I see the newer Beach Hunters have a different coil and the control box may be a little different? Will the updated orange gasket fit this model if I pick one up?

Pics after cleanup:

f61acd72130c13e1088c38dc917d32fc.jpg

989fcd81413aba0a2e1cdaa9cde89a16.jpg

8569f7824ae6ec5c6225a8b541216d47.jpg

20c82a0c850d7af89e7610c2417e6cbf.jpg

Thanks

A great detector based on the DFX platform. Dual frequency and works great in Florida salt water beaches

BAD NEWS, the coil floats and has to be pushed down. I HATED it while diving. Never waded with it. Sold it after two uses.

Thanks Scuba, I recall reading about the floating coil. Just wasn't sure if it applied to all coil types for the BH. I can only imagine how much of a PITA it must have been underwater.

I have a duel field the floating coil doesn't bother me not shure who sells it but you can get a weight for it looks like its in mint condition

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

After practicing some Google-Fu, it appears that the only difference between the new Beach Hunter 300 and this Beach Hunter ID is the coil type/size. Everything else should be the same which would mean the updated orange gasket should work no problem on the control box. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

After practicing some Google-Fu, it appears that the only difference between the new Beach Hunter 300 and this Beach Hunter ID is the coil type/size. Everything else should be the same which would mean the updated orange gasket should work no problem on the control box. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are absolutely right. Nothing else changed except they put the 12" coil and new gasket on the updated model.

Not sure what state you're in, but I've heard those are not very good on wet salt CA beaches. So that makes me wonder if their performance would also start to wain on FL beaches , after erosion, where sometimes the sand can be left with mineralized black.

Of course, that also renders most other regular coin machines helpless too (sometimes you have no choice but to reach for a pulse in jet black). But on CA beaches, I've heard that EVEN ON MILD/NORMAL mineral (regular cinnamon color) it suffers.

I have the BHID300 and two DFXs. They all use the same coils. The flat 950 doesn't float as bad as the deeper looking 950. Just google coil stabilizers or make one like I did with lexan. I bought one the first time from the big box store and it broke like glass. Made my own lexan one and its lasted 7 years so far. Coil wont flip up on you. Change to the red gaskets. And if you ever get burned out on it there is actually a mod waterproofing a Minelab sovereign gt using the box from a BHID control box shell. The 950 coil you have I still hold the record for my heaviest gold ring. Its concentric but I love mine. I actually have three 950 coils:shock::lol:

Not sure what state you're in, but I've heard those are not very good on wet salt CA beaches. So that makes me wonder if their performance would also start to wain on FL beaches , after erosion, where sometimes the sand can be left with mineralized black.

Of course, that also renders most other regular coin machines helpless too (sometimes you have no choice but to reach for a pulse in jet black). But on CA beaches, I've heard that EVEN ON MILD/NORMAL mineral (regular cinnamon color) it suffers.

I hunted with a guy from the forum in Daytona who was using one and he was going almost as deep as my CTX:shock: May have been modded by someone though:?:

Thanks fellas your comments are really helpful. I took a gamble based on the price I was able to get it for. I'm going to let my oldest son use it tomorrow when we go hunting and see how it does. I'll order that gasket tonight.

Reassembled and ready to go!

5d6fc4924058a16a00542d19d5a62fde.jpg

5b6dbb969ac66e896780d9cd350353d7.jpg

Forgot to mention. Look at the toggle boot with a magnifying glass to make sure there is no splits. And don't submerge it with the black gasket.

Forgot to mention. Look at the toggle boot with a magnifying glass to make sure there is no splits. And don't submerge it with the black gasket.

Roger that...I'm going to check the toggle right now.

Checked the boot with a loupe. It looks good, no imperfections.

Hey I forgot to ask, are the knobs removable like an Excal? I was wondering if there were o-rings underneath that I should check.

You just picked up an Excal Blue and now this? Dude! You got it bad! :D

R5

Wow! Such a lucky find! I've been scouring the interwebs looking to upgrade to a salt-water capable machine that won't break the bank, and that's quite the dream-deal. Nothing on sale here locally, 'cause detecting still isn't really a hobby here (which means way less competition, so I can't complain). But yeah-- looks like that's in great shape! Congrats on such a good score!

PI Joe thanks that looks like a great setup! The links appear to be dead...maybe because Whites discontinued it? But then again Whites still has the Surf PI??

Scuba...wow, now THAT is a steal!

Back
Top Bottom