10 reasons why I like the AT Pro

..Undeniably, the AtPro is a Hunter! Its strengths span a multitude of Genres within this Sport! From the Mega Claddies, Relic Ramblers, Silver Slammers, Water Babies....

I remember when it first came out, the early adopters and the feedback, yet I held back and watched the Finds coming in....At a point, I could no longer argue with the RESULTS!

Sure I could go on and on about its weaknesses..that stupid coil and headphone plug in, the horrible ergonomics, The tiny TID screen which aint worth a dang etc...

But in the Field as an immediate producer? Even in the hands of a noob? At its price point? Yeah..the AtPro fit a market niche and made a lot of us some big stinky money!....It fit into a segment and performed as promised...All Terrain, All Weather...Turn on and go...

Interesting thing was a lot of long time 'Dtists tried it out and validated its strengths...So I finally whipped out the CC and bought one from a Forum Sponsor... The thing hits Gold like a TRAIN! I never once ran my Pro on the dirt, never once took it into a totter, never once Gbalanced it...I got it specifically for Water Gold, and it freaking delivered!.....In all Weather and all Seasons...

It makes no sense!..at its price point and so stupid simple?:?: The Damn thing makes pay...

Attachments

• Apr 1-15-4.jpg
    Apr 1-15-4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 380
  • sept 8 13-1.jpg
    sept 8 13-1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 374
  • sept 20-16-1.jpg
    sept 20-16-1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 377
I've been a White's guy since I started detecting in 1983 and have found tons of things with my White's detectors...Eagle II and M6. Back in October I won an AT PRO at a seeded hunt and have been using it ever since. Right now the M6 has been demoted to back-up detector and is basically collecting dust. Love the PRO.

If Garrett would make a "jumper connector" about a foot long from the case it would make it much easier to connect a different coil!

Garrett should make a second generation ATPro that has the built in wireless and backlight, but leave everything else alone. I think the ATMax missed the mark. I sold my ATPro when I bought the Max, but that was a mistake.

Garrett should make a second generation ATPro that has the built in wireless and backlight, but leave everything else alone. I think the ATMax missed the mark. I sold my ATPro when I bought the Max, but that was a mistake.

Yep I stayed with my pro, no need for a pricey max.

Glad to see so many positive users,thought maybe it was just me.lol..i recently purchased a sharpshooter coil for my at pro,, always used the stock coil and 5x8,,but wanted to see what a sharpshooter will do..will post findings on it when it arrives.

What did they screw up on the ATMax that makes you like the At Pro better, except for the wireless and backlight?

beephead

It became just another digital machine, and lost the audio quality of the Pro. At least that’s how my ears heard it. With the Pro I could hear deep dimes, digging about 300 that year. With the Max, it was a lot of small aluminum scrap that sounded just like deep dimes. I sold the Max and went back to Tesoro. I’m just not a fan of digital displays and over digitized sound.

Glad to see so many positive users,thought maybe it was just me.lol..i recently purchased a sharpshooter coil for my at pro,, always used the stock coil and 5x8,,but wanted to see what a sharpshooter will do..will post findings on it when it arrives.

I’m anxious to hear your opinions on the sharpshooter. I have both coils and really don’t find much difference in them. The sharpshooter is a bit heavier, but performance wise they appear about the same. I hope you can find something I’ve missed and pass it along.

5 reasons ill never use

An A T Pro , # 1 done with the mid grade machines , # 2 the display screens to small, # 3 the tones suck, #4 no good at salt water beaches, #5 Garrett hasn't made a better machine than the mid grade AtPro SO 10 years later you still have guys like Woody on here to hype the machine up , like my Euro Tek Pro that i let the kids use :laughing :laughing:

An A T Pro , # 1 done with the mid grade machines , # 2 the display screens to small, # 3 the tones suck, #4 no good at salt water beaches, #5 Garrett hasn't made a better machine than the mid grade AtPro SO 10 years later you still have guys like Woody on here to hype the machine up , like my Euro Tek Pro that i let the kids use :laughing :laughing:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
An A T Pro , # 1 done with the mid grade machines

Earl,your first reason stopped me dead in my tracks,,your signature has a midrange machine in it,nox 800..did you sell it?High end starts out at about $1200 bucks and up,surely your not insinuating the nox is high end? I like the equinox,so don’t get me wrong here,I own one.But I also have owned pretty much all high end machines to,and there’s a big difference.Might wanna change your first reason.

Last edited:
Woody

I purchased the Nox for a break from swinging the CTX3030 with the 17 at the Salt Water Beaches why , mostly because it's light, bought the 15 inch coil for it, so we will see how close to the CTX3030- 17 it will come without the weight , being i beach hunt with a 125 lb Chessie budgie- to my shoulder's , the lightness helps out, by the way , i consider the 800 to be closer to high end 900.00, plugger CF rod 105.00, Steve's CF lower rods 60.00, 15 inch 239.00, 6 inch 179.00 add it up , all with the ability to run Multi Frequency at a Salt Water beach , if it wasn't for the Kid's wanting Ace 150-250s, the boys :lol: wanting the ATpro's , and the good- AT orange Carrot , Garrett would be out of business today, nothing special in the last ten year's , if it wasn't for the above , they would be joining Tesoro on the end of the road :hornetsnest::realitycheck::digginahole::spiteful:.

I'll leave the Equinox and CTX3030 for the studly "men" who detect. This "boy" loves his AT Pro. In the two years I have enjoyed this great hobby, detecting with my AT Pro it has produced excellent results...

373 Silver coins from Seated Dime thru Peace Dollars
1800+ wheat pennies including 1914-D
10,000+ copper pennies and clad... nickels dimes quarters
many Silver rings, a few Gold Rings
dog tags, trade tokens, medallions and more

Of all your reasons Surf Master, I can only agree with #4 the ATPro is useless in hunting wet SALT water beaches. The same, of course, can be said of practically all single freq VHF machines.

#1- is your choice not to use mid range machines, and is no reflection on the ATPro specifically.
#2 - the VDI is plenty large for me and I listen more to tone quality and pitch rather than using the target number to decide whether to dig or not.
#3 - I find the tone quality of the ATPro to be outstanding, the ATMax, not so much.
#5 - just a slam at Garrett in general, no fault of the AT Pro itself.

I regularly hunt with a buddy who uses a Nox600. We compare signals a lot, as I am always learning and am curious to see how the two machines compare. For our area of the USA, Western Montana, the machines have equal depth, the Pro has better target ID, better overload or large target ID, and better shallow target ID and pinpointing. All that said, the Equinox and CTX are far better salt beach detectors, but I don't get many of those to detect here in Montana.

Last edited:
I never jump in on these exchanges between which machine is better than another. IMO, the best machine is the one you can afford, the one you like, and the one you learn. I currently have 3 -- the AT Pro, the GPX 5000, and the Deus. Think they all have a purpose for the type of detecting I like to do.

But I will agree with Wood, Mud, Ice and a lot of others -- the Pro is a solid machine. Tougher than nails, can use in any weather conditions, and it flat out produces! I've found hundreds of Minnie balls, 2 CW plates, buttons, seated's, LC's, IHPs, tokens, etc. Just about anything I desire to find with a detector. Works great in iron infested sites with the 5x8, and the tones are great. If you think the Pro has bad tones, you either haven't used it or just never learned it

I like to see people post about why they like different machines -- but just don't see the need to put others down for liking a machine

Back
Top Bottom