Taped cable

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
For the CTX hunters. Im using the CTX now full time. Im a long time Explorer user so the transition was pretty easy. There are things i like and dont like. One of them being pushing that baby thru the water. Anyway, my question is about the cable that attaches to the coil. What i found with the Xcal is a NEED to tape the cable close to the coil leaving enough play to allow movement. Why.....because i you dont you can feel the cable vibrate when moved faster or in swift water. Thats like bending a wired repeatedly. We all know what that will do in time. Well on the CTX with the cable running into the shaft there is like 6 inches or so sticking out and NOTHING except the two connectors. With the coiled cable ive got to believe it pulls out some and vibrates also. Taping it would stop the cable movement. For those NOT using that added protector over the cable, stop the constant rubbing in and out of the cable, stop the vibrations, and you wouldnt get nearly the water displacement this drag causes.

Dew

hmm interesting. I am about to take my CTX into the water for the first time. Would electrical tape do the trick to prevent the wire from moving too much against the shaft?

That's what i use. Make sure u give play for the coil to move easily up and down. If u intend on dunking the machine...... use a 2 or 2.5 mm gasket. I prefer the 2.5.

Attachments

• 20170517_154648.jpg
    20170517_154648.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 167
I swap from the 6 to the 11 to the 17 so often that I really have no need to do that. Instead, I just ring some electrical tape around the cable itself that rubs on the friction point of the shaft as it goes into the shaft.. Another option would be some plastic spiral wrap that you can pick up at any hardware store in the electrical section for cheap. just tape the ends. If it's the connector portion that you're concerned about I can tell you that I hunt about 20 hrs a week for the past 2 yrs religiously and nothings happened. Keep the hard plastic guide that comes on the coil near the connector end on the coil. Don't toss it. I did bend a pin once from MY own error but got it straightened out....

LT..... u swap coils water hunting? I have an Anderson' s spiral wrap.... but the tap completely stops the movement from that hole to the coil reducing cable vibration.

Dew, I cant speak for the CTX and probably never will,,,,I wont say never will but I don't think I will,,,,,,,,,,BUT,,,,,I know exactly what you are talking about with the cable near the coil,,,,,I make dang sure it has play so it isn't constantly bending with any pressure,,,,,I would think that with the wire inside your shaft on the CTX, you are subject to pressure and vibration,,,,,,look forward to hunting with you tomorrow and hopefully we BOTH get gold,,,,,,,:DGL HH

Back
Top Bottom