Minelab Safari - What do you know about it?

moxiefox

I have found a Minelab Safari for sale pre-owned.

What can you tell me about this detector? I know nothing about detectors. I am looking to get into the hobby for the first time. Would this be a good choice?

Thanks.

It is a fine machine. It is a multiple frequency unit so it will work good not only on land but also salt water beaches. You have to use a slower swing speed with it then say an e-trac or explorerSE but it will go deep.

I like mine. You do need to swing it slower than some but a friend of mine has the etrac an he has to do the same. It will go very deep. It is a little heavy but balanced very well. I would say it is a very good machine. Good luck an HH
ric

It's not a bad machine at all. Where it really excels at is in low to med. trash areas. In high trash areas your going to have to slow down your swing speed in relationship to the amt. of trash. I actually believe that's its 11" Pro coil unmasks targets as well as the 6" DD HF coil does on the XT-70 (705). As Dusty said it only weights 3.6 lbs., but that is without the batteries which brings its weight up to a little over 4 lbs. It can be kind of heavy until you get used to it. If you do in fact get a Safarii, would highly recommend that you also get the Minelab Quattro & Safari Handbook by Andy Sabisch. It goes much more in depth on the operation of the Safari than what its manual does. The Safari will go thru 8 AA batteries in about 14 hrs. or less. As a result it is almost mandatory that you get rechargeable AA's (RayOVac-Walmart) for it along with an extra Minelab Safari battery pack to put them in, if you intend to do a lot of detecting. To increase its target unmasking abilities in high trash areas, it also might be wise to buy either a 6" DD Excel. sniper coil or the 6x8 DD SEF coil (Kellyco) for it. Both are excellent in trashy areas. Overall it is a very easy machine to learn how to use and the depth is excellent for its price, especially if you can get a good deal on one.

It sounds as though this machine is a great one -- I found one with some goodies priced below $750. Would this make for a good machine to have as a new comer?

Call whites for a free video, give them a jingle you may just put a little back into your pocket.........

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the Safari deal and it's goodies:

Minelab Safari metal detector
-coil cover
-coil support
-headphones
-bullseye pinpointer
-gator digger
-sheath
-long handle probe
-heavy duty carrying bag
-heavy duty pouchand an apron...

advertised as used once only.

I'm not exactly sure what all of these goodies are exactly, I do imagine that they do have added value.

Your extras sound like the freebies a dealer would throw in with a Safari as part of the sale, but most are items you are going to need anyhow. Retail they would run over $200. As far as only being used once, I'd take that with a dose of salt. Possible, but not likely. Want you to know that I got mine "new" a month ago without any extras for under $800, although since then the retail price has jumped another $100. One thing you need to be aware of is that its guarantee is non-transferable, even if only used once. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Yesterday took my Safari out to just half of someone's small front yard that I had hit several times before with the XT-70 and still pulled out a couple of wheats at 5 1/2 to 6" deep along with clad at lesser depths in just a short period of time. I was really surprised at how hard it was hitting on coins in among the moderate amt. of trash. So the Safari is a good machine and easy to use too, even for a beginner. It is your call on rather you want to buy one at that price or not.

Your extras sound like the freebies a dealer would throw in with a Safari as part of the sale, but most are items you are going to need anyhow. As far as only being used once, I'd take that with a dose of salt. Possible, but unlikely. Want you to know that I got mine "new" a month ago without any extras for under $800, although since then the retail price has jumped another $100. One thing you need to be aware of is that its guarantee is non-transferable even if only used once. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. If you shop around, you can almost certainly get a new one for under $900 and maybe even less by dickering with several online dealers or sponsors. Yesterday took my Safari out to someone's front yard that I had hit several times before with the XT-70 and still pulled out a couple of wheats at 5 1/2 to 6" deep along with quite a few clad at lesser depths in just a short period of time. I was really surprised at how hard it was hitting on coins in among the moderate amt. of trash.

Great points.... Considering that I'm a NEWBIE, and even though I can save a couple hundred bucks by purchasing a preowned MindLab Safari, perhaps I'm looking at something that's not right for me anyway. Someone recommended that I check out a white and save the money until I know that I enjoy the hobby. Does that make sense?

Yes, if you get one of the less expensive ones such as the Coinmaster Pro. There are also several other brands of good entry level detectors too, such as the Garrett Ace 350, the Fisher F-2, the Teknetics Delta 4000 or the Tosoro Silver U-Max. All are under $300. Good luck with your choice...

Saw a real nice new.....

siightly used Safari with only a few uses on it......craigslist $725.00 and the deal looks really good it has a warranty. I tried to get it from the guy for $600 he said no go so I went with a White's DFX300 with a 17 month warranty left on the clock 12 inch coil, bullseye and stereo adjust headphones sweet new machine. Just gettnig used to it. Oh, yeah the Safari by Minelab is in Central NJ Craigslist and the guy is crabbing about the fees he has to pay on Ebay if he goes there so, perhaps you can offer $675.......then of course the ask price is cool too. Regards, mike:D:D:yes::yes:

Back
Top Bottom