So what's up with coil covers, do you like them?

Silver Dragon

I can see where they might save a little wear and tear on the coil, but there's not a great deal of difference in price between buying protection or just replacing the coil. Also, do they mess with the coil's field?

Depending on how much or often you are detecting you can wear the bottom of the coil out and start having problems with it after a while. Most coil covers cost under $20 , but compare that to the cost of a new coil that can run $80 to over $100 and that makes it a smart buy. But there are cheaper solutions like a homemade cover or truck bed liner. Usually better off just geting a coil cover though.

I was convinced to buy one while in the store being educated by the salesman. I wasn't sure if he was upselling me or not, but in the end it only cost $20 and I have noticed wear and tear on it after only a few months as a newbie. I am glad I have it. I will upgrade this spring and hand this unit down to my son s his upgrade. How are you farin' this winter -lots of snow out by your way?

I have coil covers on ALL my machines for one reason. On the inside is my name and phone number engraved on the cover.

If my machines ever get stolen, I will be able to identify them. They have never hurt my machines performance that I know of.

Sure seems to be a good idea to have the coil cover. I think it will be my first purchase goal to buy one with my findings. I really like the engraving idea. We're still plagued by around 3" of standing snow, but I'm soooo ready to get after it. Thanks everyone.

The wire in your coils are potted in epoxy resin, for protection, to preserve the shape, keep the windings in place. Epoxy is some pretty rugged stuff, but you can form and shape it after its cured. There is a hole lot of stuff on the ground, that can scratch and gouge through the epoxy resin, and you'll be swinging back and forth a lot.

Plastic coil covers last a good while, mine are scuffed up, but not worn out. Would probably replace them, if I were going to sell the coil, or machine. Pretty cheap, considering the price of the coil. A damage coil can still work, just not very well, might not notice something wrong, for several disappointing hunts...

Effect the depth? I don't thinks so. I try to keep it from actually dragging through the dirt, but mine is mostly sand, abrasive, and know it would wear down the plastic quickly. Certainly would keep an uncovered coil well off the ground.

I consider replacing coils as normal wear and tear, like brake shoes on a car.

I use one for a season to get it nice and evenly scratched up then I put a thick layer of epoxy on the sides and bottom. The epoxy barely shows scratches after a hard season, that's going to last a long time!

Putting on and pulling off and cleaning under coil covers got old in a hurry and water hunting all the time gets fine metallic sand between the cover and coil, which caused problems.

If I was just playing in the grass I might feel differently but for water hunting no covers please.

protection

I had s sheet of self adhesive thick protective plastic sheet laying around , kind of like very thick tape. with a slight texture on the outside , just peel and stick and trim the edges , it came in a 2x3 sheet . I dont remember where I even got it. . I just put it on the flat bottom of my MXT and it hold up great . Going into third year now and still looks good and not coming loose at all .I also have one with a coil cover and don't like it at all, collects to much junk inside and then it is hard to remove. going to change it in the spring!

With my BH Trk IV I didn't bother with a coil cover. The stock 8" seemed to be pretty tough and durable. I don't bang it around, but do scrape the ground with it on my swings fairly often as well as hit the occasional branch, rock, or root. The coil is still looking like it's in good shape. If I ever feel the need I might use the bedliner trick or make my own coil cover out of a plastic pail lid or something, but so far don't feel the need.
However, when I bought the AT Pro I was advised that the epoxy fill that Garrett uses is prone to damage as it's a softer material, so opted to get coil covers for both the stock and 5x8 coils. For the inexpensive price of the coil covers compared to the hefty price of the Garrett coils, I'm very content in that decision. The coil covers fit tight and will take what little abuse I put them through, so think it was a good choice.
FWIW.

I have coil covers on ALL my machines for one reason. On the inside is my name and phone number engraved on the cover.

If my machines ever get stolen, I will be able to identify them. They have never hurt my machines performance that I know of.

Now that is a good idea! I'm gonna copy you on that one.

Putting on and pulling off and cleaning under coil covers got old in a hurry and water hunting all the time gets fine metallic sand between the cover and coil, which caused problems.

If I was just playing in the grass I might feel differently but for water hunting no covers please.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that as I start doing some water hunting with my new CZ-21. For now it has a coil cover on it as do my other 2 machines.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that as I start doing some water hunting with my new CZ-21. For now it has a coil cover on it as do my other 2 machines.

There are a few threads in beach and water hunting about putting epoxy on coils.

Some love it others prefer the covers. The covers on my AT coils go on nice and tight and are a bear to remove. Once they get some age to them and get brittle they just break off.

I absolutely believe in coil covers. A $15-$20 investment to save a $100+ investment. No brainer.

I use a coil cover. I like to run my coil low. If the cover is $20 and the coil is $30 which kinda sounds like your situation, I probably wouldn't buy one. I think my cover was about $12 and the coil would be about $80-100. Easy choice for me.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

If you are a heavy user and coils cost $150+ it makes sense. Coils have been known to wear through or more often develop cracks without a cover letting in water, or even dirt.
After hunting on gravel and seeing the effects, I would never skimp on covers.

I covered the stock coil on my ace 250 with multiple coats of spray on bedliner. Works good against scratches and wear but its not very shock resistant so not much help against accidentally knocking the side of the coil against a rock or fence like a molded cover might be. I will definately buy a cover for the coil on the At pro , no need to wear out a coil when it can easily be prevented. For now until I get an actual cover for it I made my own by cutting the shape from the side of a plastic storage tub and secured it with plastic zip ties. Not pretty but it really dont look too bad and it atleast protects the bottom side of the coil. Nobody can ever predict with absolute certainty that they will never try to sell the detector at some point in the future and a coil in good shape is gonna look a lot better than a worn out one.

Back
Top Bottom