help on scouting old home sites of a line of 17 homes

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
found some property that i can search. 17 home sites that were built in 1968 and demolished in 2003. The line of homes are 125 feet back from the road and the homes are about 30 feet in depth from front of home to rear of home. I figure it might contain some silver.

How would you approach this search?

my first guess is to search the line of homes about 2 feet in front of the home and 2 feet back of the home line and just keep working my way out from the front and back of the home until I start finding some promising targets.

will be using the AT pro with my stock coil as long as my hand holds out. When it gets tired I usually switch to the 5 x 7 inch coil. much lighter and easier on long searches. Thanks for any advice will be hunting this line of home sites next week.

I'd go the opposite route, start further out, and work inward. Most of the demo debris will be closer to the house, and how many people set 2 feet from the house?

Think shade trees, sidewalks, and clotheslines.

Now that you mention that, I think you are correct. I remember when I grew up people sat in metal chairs and metal double chair sliders and these were somewhere between 6 - 15 feet from the house depending on the shade.

A spot like that you just never know. I would grid it all as clean up could move stuff. But built in 68 you can still find silver and rings of course but may not be but a few. Need to see what was there before the houses.

update

found some property that i can search. 17 home sites that were built in 1968 and demolished in 2003. The line of homes are 125 feet back from the road and the homes are about 30 feet in depth from front of home to rear of home. I figure it might contain some silver.

How would you approach this search?

my first guess is to search the line of homes about 2 feet in front of the home and 2 feet back of the home line and just keep working my way out from the front and back of the home until I start finding some promising targets.

will be using the AT pro with my stock coil as long as my hand holds out. When it gets tired I usually switch to the 5 x 7 inch coil. much lighter and easier on long searches. Thanks for any advice will be hunting this line of home sites next week.

went out there the other day just to scout it. around one home site found two female forms off old trophies from 1960. they were made of some kind of metal not plastic. plus found a 3 x 4 bronze plate engraved with info about someone being a junior state champion in sports.

so i thought, great place maybe some silver coins if this stuff dated to the 1960's as the ingravings indicated. but walking back, I saw a sign stating gov property, no trespassing. Oops. not sure why a government would own this strip of land with nothing one it but the paved driveways and turnarounds.

has to be either city, county or state. anyone ever get anywhere trying to get permission to hunt on such property?

also what about getting permissions from real estate companies or realtors who are representing the owner of old home sites?

I'd go the opposite route, start further out, and work inward. Most of the demo debris will be closer to the house, and how many people set 2 feet from the house?

Think shade trees, sidewalks, and clotheslines.

X2...also, I would only use your 5x8 coil, you will need the separation in the trashy areas.

A lot of people say that approx. 75% of their good finds are made in front yards.

With this in mind ...
I would start out by the road and work my way in towards the house area.
You could probably use a stock or larger sized coil in this area and then switch over to a small coil when you get into the junk metal around the house.

Good Luck !

So my first guideline would be to always make sure you know who's property you are on and if it's private make sure you have permission. There are certain public properties I Wisconsin if they catch you MDing on they will take your detector and issue a fine. So be careful, just because it's public doesn't mean MDing is allowed.....that being said, I'm NOT suggesting you ask prior to going just look for signs and the internet, if there going to be serious about it it will be posted somewhere.

I wouldn't think there would be a great bunch of silver, but any that was dropped might still be there. Not that it's important since it appears you can't go back, but sites like these I would focus on either the front or back yards. Look for older aerial images and look for trees.

Back
Top Bottom