AT Pro Broken Again

Larbo

I had a good hunt with my AT Pro yesterday but when I was packing everything up the control box came loose from the shaft. I guess the threads where one of the screws go stripped out.

I have only had this detector for 14 months and have already had to send it back to Garrett once when it stopped working and it has been fine until now. I don't really want to send it back again. It cost almost ¥6,000 ($53) to send it last time and it took nearly a month to get it back. Has anyone tried to repair this problem themselves?

I like the AT Pro and I find a lot of good stuff with it but I'm not that happy with the reliability of it. I was thinking about upgrading to an AT Max in the future but if they have the same problems I may reconsider. Garrett has great customer service but I wish I didn't need to use it so often.

Last edited:
You can get an electrical clamp and unscrew the screws place on bottom side and put screws back in. May have to take detector to hardware store to help you.. if your country has these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I might try that. I will probably just use duct tape until I get it figured out.

I was afraid that would happen to mine,
I made a purchase from shapeways.com ( the phoenix)
they make a 3D printed support that mounts with four extra screws that screw into the external speaker, and goes around the shaft.
$15 a good investment
hope you can get yours fixed....

e7d870809427f2abb46f260aebf53e48.jpg
692f4caae6e3af2980e8e161020898a6.jpg

Some photos hope it helps?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

like the AT Pro and I find a lot of good stuff with it but I'm not that happy with the reliability of it. I was thinking about upgrading to an AT Max.

Pretty sure the AT Max will have the same problem..

Aquachigger and a couple of these forum guys have a fix for that

That thing looks pretty rough for such a short time. You must really give it a work out.

Yeah, I probably spend between 12 and 20 hours a week detecting. A lot of the places I go are sandy or muddy so everything gets covered in mud and dirt and scratched up.

Do you think that would hold it together with just one of the original screws? I might get one of those and see if I can get the old screw to tighten down enough to stay. I could even use some epoxy but I don't want to make it impossible to take apart again.

I had a good hunt with my AT Pro yesterday but when I was packing everything up the control box came loose from the shaft. I guess the threads where one of the screws go stripped out.

I have only had this detector for 14 months and have already had to send it back to Garrett once when it stopped working and it has been fine until now. I don't really want to send it back again. It cost almost ¥6,000 ($53) to send it last time and it took nearly a month to get it back. Has anyone tried to repair this problem themselves?

I like the AT Pro and I find a lot of good stuff with it but I'm not that happy with the reliability of it. I was thinking about upgrading to an AT Max in the future but if they have the same problems I may reconsider. Garrett has great customer service but I wish I didn't need to use it so often.

SUPER EASY FIX!!!

Get a couple of half inch clamps from Lowe's or Home Depot. They fit PERFECTLY over the pole, and you use the screws that hold the speaker plate in place. Just remove the speaker plate screws (4 of them), and then put on the clamps (you'll need to pre-bend them slightly to align the holes better) and screw the screws back in. Here's a picture of mine. No need to send in, and it does NOT void any warranty or cause any issues, because you're not breaking any barriers for water proofing. Heck, you're using THEIR screw mounts.

In the pic below, it's got sealant on it, because I was trying another fix, and it failed. LOL I had to seal up the hole THROUGH the speaker. Oops. But this fix, using the two brackets works AMAZING.

I use a strap of electrical tape for extra stabilization (not that I think I need it.). I just used electrical tape to hold it to the bar for a long time, until I figured out a permanent fix. This works great.

No need to send it in, but if you ever need to, just remove the four screws and put them back without the bracket, there's NO change to the device. and NO need to use longer screws.

Cheers!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 722
Thanks For the picture and explanation Skippy! That is what I am going to do. I will duct tape it for a day or two until get a chance to go to the hardware store. I don't want to send it back to Garrett for something so simple to fix.

I can't believe so many people have this issue. I throw my at pro around like crazy and I am not careful at all. I have detected several days a week for almost two years and my control box is still secure and as good as new. I wonder if this is a defect in a certain serial number range or what?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's a piece of junk...

Get rid of it....

Get a machine with customer service like Mine Lab...

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom