Help! Need to quit smoking, and it's my wife's fault!

How about you and your wife both using ecigs together? It is acceptable to taper off analog cigs with these devices. Your wife doesn't need to cry. If you or she needs 12-15mg of nicotine juice at the beginning, and a casual cig once in a while, that's perfectly ok. It will get easier, quicker, if you have the attitude of "not forbidding" you slipping up and smoking an analog cig. Enjoy that cig entirely, then go back to noncombustible. It will work!

A friend I had who sold these things for years way back at the beginning of the evolution, said many folks usually needed 12mg at the beginning. There is sense to be made in staying in single digits nicotine though.

In my case, I had the history of quitting long ago with the ecigs and then kept one for more than a year after going to zero Nic juice, no nicotine, just the familiar flavored juice.

I personally think big clouds are kinda silly. In the end, even using the vape with regular nicotine level,,,saves you. Nicotine in itself ain't the devil in this mix, it's the rest of the combustable cr@p inside regular tobacco cigs.

Y'all will make it, and ecigarettes will make it tons easier. I plan on going to 3mg juice soon, after starting at 12mg two weeks ago. Already jumped down to 8mg, which ironically is what my old Camel Blue cigs were anyway. Very few panic thoughts here with me on actual smoking.

It is hand to mouth, 99%. The adjustable trickle of nicotine from ecigs is a godsend IMO.

How about you and your wife both using ecigs together? It is acceptable to taper off analog cigs with these devices. Your wife doesn't need to cry. If you or she needs 12-15mg of nicotine juice at the beginning, and a casual cig once in a while, that's perfectly ok. It will get easier, quicker, if you have the attitude of "not forbidding" you slipping up and smoking an analog cig. Enjoy that cig entirely, then go back to noncombustible. It will work!

A friend I had who sold these things for years way back at the beginning of the evolution, said many folks usually needed 12mg at the beginning. There is sense to be made in staying in single digits nicotine though.

In my case, I had the history of quitting long ago with the ecigs and then kept one for more than a year after going to zero Nic juice, no nicotine, just the familiar flavored juice.

I personally think big clouds are kinda silly. In the end, even using the vape with regular nicotine level,,,saves you. Nicotine in itself ain't the devil in this mix, it's the rest of the combustable cr@p inside regular tobacco cigs.

Y'all will make it, and ecigarettes will make it tons easier. I plan on going to 3mg juice soon, after starting at 12mg two weeks ago. Already jumped down to 8mg, which ironically is what my old Camel Blue cigs were anyway. Very few panic thoughts here with me on actual smoking.

It is hand to mouth, 99%. The adjustable trickle of nicotine from ecigs is a godsend IMO.

We're going to get her one today. Wanted her to see what mine was/felt like beforehand so she could figure out more about what she wanted/needed. Mine's already too much vapor for her, so she'll probably like the eGo pen types better. I went over the good parts and bad parts of the device with her such as how much juice and charge.

She likes the flavors, so this shouldn't be hard for her at all. She'll only need like 3mg because she smokes ultra lights, we are figuring out really quick it is not truly the nicotine that is bad but all the other stuff in the cigs.

Thanks for all the help and tips, Martin. I'm really liking mine. I've only had a real cig like every 6 hours now and subbed the vaping for the rest. I only have about 4 more real cigs left, then it'll be all the vapor as I'm not going to buy more cigs.

we are figuring out really quick it is not truly the nicotine that is bad but all the other stuff in the cigs.

Yep....I sure do wish you all the best success at this endeavor Mr. N...You are a good Man to sacrifice for somebody else's benefit...Try not to think too much and just get through every minute making Her Life on this Planet a good one....

I’m currently back on the vape to quit again. I was two packs a day for 15 years and quit for 2 years by vaping for a couple months. I have a Fuchai mod box and crown tank. Nothing special but the mod box is nice because you can carry extra batteries with you. I had to have a couple of the pens in my work van on charge to get through the day especially if I was out in the cold weather. As far as juice I really like the “western nic menthol” in 3mg. Tastes almost like a good pipe tobacco smells. I can’t do the fruity stuff personally.

On a side note a friend of mine works in a Mayo Clinic and there was two different males mid 20’s that vaped for less then 5 years and they had to have double lung transplants. Vape doesn’t affect the lungs like smoke but theirs lost the ability to expand and contract. It is a great tool for quitting but I wouldn’t stick with it. I’m sure there are plenty of side affects that aren’t know at this time.

Many people have got off cigarettes and all nicotine using CBD oil. Some oils can be vaporized and some are swallowed, perhaps after being under tongue 90 seconds. It's legal as it is made from industrial hemp plants and THC is 0 to 0.3mg. The cheapest price I saw was just over $30/oz from purehempbotanicals.com/ Best wishes, all.

I can relate to you not wanting to quit. I didn't want to quit two and a half years ago when BB decided I was killing him by smoking which made it impossible for him to quit... :mad::lol:

Long story short, I went to the doc, got a Rx for chantix, took the junk for two weeks and haven't smoked since the end of week 1. I don't know why it worked that time as I had "tried" to quit a few times prior and fell right off the wagon, but it did take that time, and I'm an ex-smoker now and pretty happy about it.

Yeah, even though it was not my idea and I didn't want to quit... You just don't know how you'll feel about it once you break the habit, and might find out you're happier not puffin' away. I know I am. Plus I can breathe and run again, not bad for an old lady.:yes:

Thanks for all the support and advice! We picked up the wife an eGo pen style vapor, she likes it. She doesn't smoke as often or as heavily as I do. Had to take a 6 hour road trip yesterday, tried to smoke 2 cigs and had to put them both out after about 4 puffs, just tasted nasty. Normally I would go through almost a half pack on a drive like that, and really feel it in the morning. But woke up this morning feeling fine.

Been doing the vape since Friday, think I had about 5 cigs on Friday with vape, about 3 Saturday with vape and yesterday those 2 I tried and had to put out. I'm completely out of cigs now and not even fretting it like I thought I would. Still a little worried about what is in this vapor stuff, but it's gotta be better than cigs. Breathing already feels a bit more clearer (not so heavy feeling), although my sinuses (nose & throat) do feel a bit more gunky with the vaping. I hope that passes, pretty sure some of it is due to not smoking cigs and body adjusting maybe? Not sure, but getting off the cigs was definitely easier this way than I thought it would be, not irritable either since I'm still getting the nicotine.

Sorry to hear about the wife Good to hear you quit. If you find yourself wanting to/having to pick up a new habit as a replacement try keeping dried fruit or Apple slices with you. Replace the bad with good. The chewing will keep your mind occupied same with the fingers trying to grab a piece. I ised to keep a cigarette jar and all money saved would go into it. By the sounds of it you would be able to buy a nice gold coin in no time.
Good luck :grin:..

I tried the patches and the pills on a few occasions trying to quit smoking. If vaping was around back then I didn't know about it. I had read that the only way to quit for good was to convince yourself that you really want to quit. I have never really wanted to quit, not even that last time.

Substituting candy, fruit etc. only added to the expense of smoking, not to mention the tightening of the belt. None of this worked for long and I always went right back to smoking, probably more than before. It was a few years between my few feeble attempts at quitting.

What actually worked for me was one night about 10 years ago I found myself down to one cigarette left in my pack. For some unknown reason I lit that Marlboro red and told my wife that "this is my last cigarette". After I put it out we threw away all the ash trays and I carried out the trash. It turns out that, so far, 10 years later, that was a true statement. I've never even had a single drag off a cigarette since. I smoked for over 40 years and was smoking close to three packs a day when I quit. I still had five full packs of Marlboro in my company truck and hauled those around for about six months before I decided for sure that it was safe to give them away. This worked for me because I gave my word to my wife and I would never go back on my word. For me it is a matter of honor.

I quit without drugs, appliances or substitutes for cigarettes. This is what actually worked for me. It was six years after quitting that I was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer so that had no bearing on the success of my quitting, though I am convinced that smoking had much to do with me coming down with cancer. Chemo and radiation seems to have been successful so far, four years cancer free now. And 10 years nicotine free.

Chantix is the only thing that worked for me. I vaped for a while and found that just as difficult to quit.

Happy that your wife is ok...

I had read that the only way to quit for good was to convince yourself that you really want to quit.

That's what had worked for me. After a few failed attempts, it wasn't until I decided that I was going to quit that I did... I had to get my mind right. As stated earlier I quit cold turkey.. I don't think a crutch would have work for me.
That's just what worked for me.. Whatever works for others.. they'll be glad they did. Best of luck and hang in there..

There is one thing consistent with everyone’s story’s about quitting.. Their frame of mind. No matter which route anyone takes they have to want it. Pills, candy, nicotine candies or gun, cold turkey, vape, e-cig, etc., etc. all will work when you convince yourself “this” is what your gonna do to quit.
It’s one of the toughest things in life to quit smoking but it’s not the quitting that is/was bad for me it was saying “this is the day”. Everyday after that was easier and easier. Cheers to everyone that has and will quit!

Change is never about the ability to change. It is all about the motivation to change. If this isn't motivation enough, I do not know what is.

If you are of the mind that you will "try" to quit smoking, or you "should" quit smoking, you never will. You need be of the mind that you "must" quit smoking.

The following three things must be true:

1) You believe you MUST change
2) You believe you must be the one to make that change
3) You believe you can change.

I smoked for twenty years. When I learned the woman who would eventually become my wife was not into smokers, I threw out my cigarettes and never looked back. Been smoke free for 12 years now. Never even once thought about smoking. In the greater scheme of things, my motivation is pretty trivial compared to health.

When the motivation is powerful enough, people can change almost anything.

Just go detecting with me. After Vietnam i am allergic to all kinds of smoke and fumes. Light up around me and I'll smack you with my shovel.

Update: end of day 4 of not smoking any cigs. Vapor is doing great, was craving a cig pretty bad earlier today...but it passed. Been doing fine even after eating a hefty amount of Thanksgiving Day dinner with family, but vaping just doesn't compare to having that first cig when you wake up in the morning. Finding out that first morning cig is the one I'm going to be missing most, but if that's all I am having to struggle against then so be it...I can handle missing that one.

Again, I appreciate all the advice and help that y'all gave! So far, so good! And I hope you and your family had a safe and blessed Thanksgiving!

Update: end of day 4 of not smoking any cigs. Vapor is doing great, was craving a cig pretty bad earlier today...but it passed. Been doing fine even after eating a hefty amount of Thanksgiving Day dinner with family, but vaping just doesn't compare to having that first cig when you wake up in the morning. Finding out that first morning cig is the one I'm going to be missing most, but if that's all I am having to struggle against then so be it...I can handle missing that one.

Again, I appreciate all the advice and help that y'all gave! So far, so good! And I hope you and your family had a safe and blessed Thanksgiving!

Great to hear keep it up! The morning one is for sure the worst to get past. The night one after certain “night time” activities was a lil strange to skip as well.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom