Tomorrow MUST be better!

Chipk

Elite Member
Oh my gosh. What a day.

First of all I got a message yesterday from a local elementary school saying they needed my help. Seems they have a 100 year anniversary coming up and they have lost a 100 year old time capsule. I figured I would have at least a week to line up some help and search their grounds.

Nope.

Got a text this morning that their anniversary celebration is TOMORROW! And they need to find this capsule. I already had 2 hunts planned today so I called the assistant principal and made arrangements to go there as soon as school ended at 3pm.

First I had to drive to the first spot. It's a little over an hour away. It was a big waterfront property and I had been looking forward to it for several months. But what a disappointment. Lots of buried metal and the ground was impenetrable with roots and cypress knees. I had a couple of possibly good targets but couldn't get to them. The heat and humidity was stifling. After 4 hours of hard digging and no goodies I left and drove 45 minutes to my next target.

This one was sad. A good friend is dying of ALS and recently had to leave her beloved house. Her husband had recently died and I was hoping to find something of his to raise her spirits. Didn't find much but I believe the few things I found will make her a little happier.

On to the school.

I arrived and met with the assistant principal who apologized for the short notice but she had just been told about the time capsule the day before.

I asked if they knew where it might be. NOPE. I asked what it was made of. NO IDEA. I asked what was in it. NOT A CLUE. How deep was it? COULDNT SAY.

!!!????

She led me to the area it was thought might hold this century old artifact. Then she told me they had planted trees and bushes, laid sidewalks and placed big heavy metal picnic tables across the area.

This was a freaking haystack and I'm supposed to find a needle. I don't know what I'm looking for, where it might be or how deep it might be. Then I realize there is a ton of buried metal. I start swinging and digging. I'm pulling out nails, screws, roofing tacks and pieces of aluminum. I soon realized the detector is going to be no help. So I start digging random holes and then inserting my pinpointer to see if there is anything deeper. I found three possibles and dug as deep as I could. I don't know what was there but each was about 2 feet down and too big for me to uncover without a larger shovel and I left each hole uncovered. After I had given the entire area a once over, I decided to stop. I was exhausted, filthy, dehydrated and my back was on fire. I found the assistant principal had gone home so I called her. I explained what I had done and she didn't seem appreciative. I told her to get a custodian to dig out those holes and she said she didn't want to make a mess because they'd have to clean it up before the celebration tomorrow night. I told her it was already a mess because I left her three holes to clean up. I guess she was disappointed that I didn't kill myself on her behalf, but enough was enough.
Truly it would have taken a backhoe to find that capsule.
Guess the celebration won't have their capsule.

Oh my gosh. What a day.

First of all I got a message yesterday from a local elementary school saying they needed my help. Seems they have a 100 year anniversary coming up and they have lost a 100 year old time capsule. I figured I would have at least a week to line up some help and search their grounds.

Nope.

Got a text this morning that their anniversary celebration is TOMORROW! And they need to find this capsule. I already had 2 hunts planned today so I called the assistant principal and made arrangements to go there as soon as school ended at 3pm.

First I had to drive to the first spot. It's a little over an hour away. It was a big waterfront property and I had been looking forward to it for several months. But what a disappointment. Lots of buried metal and the ground was impenetrable with roots and cypress knees. I had a couple of possibly good targets but couldn't get to them. The heat and humidity was stifling. After 4 hours of hard digging and no goodies I left and drove 45 minutes to my next target.

This one was sad. A good friend is dying of ALS and recently had to leave her beloved house. Her husband had recently died and I was hoping to find something of his to raise her spirits. Didn't find much but I believe the few things I found will make her a little happier.

On to the school.

I arrived and met with the assistant principal who apologized for the short notice but she had just been told about the time capsule the day before.

I asked if they knew where it might be. NOPE. I asked what it was made of. NO IDEA. I asked what was in it. NOT A CLUE. How deep was it? COULDNT SAY.

!!!????

She led me to the area it was thought might hold this century old artifact. Then she told me they had planted trees and bushes, laid sidewalks and placed big heavy metal picnic tables across the area.

This was a freaking haystack and I'm supposed to find a needle. I don't know what I'm looking for, where it might be or how deep it might be. Then I realize there is a ton of buried metal. I start swinging and digging. I'm pulling out nails, screws, roofing tacks and pieces of aluminum. I soon realized the detector is going to be no help. So I start digging random holes and then inserting my pinpointer to see if there is anything deeper. I found three possibles and dug as deep as I could. I don't know what was there but each was about 2 feet down and too big for me to uncover without a larger shovel and I left each hole uncovered. After I had given the entire area a once over, I decided to stop. I was exhausted, filthy, dehydrated and my back was on fire. I found the assistant principal had gone home so I called her. I explained what I had done and she didn't seem appreciative. I told her to get a custodian to dig out those holes and she said she didn't want to make a mess because they'd have to clean it up before the celebration tomorrow night. I told her it was already a mess because I left her three holes to clean up. I guess she was disappointed that I didn't kill myself on her behalf, but enough was enough.
Truly it would have taken a backhoe to find that capsule.
Guess the celebration won't have their capsule.

Lovely how their crisis, became your problem. LOL

Well played, though, sir. Well played. Way to give it the old "heave ho" best effort, I say. Well played!

Sounds like you went the extra mile for them, even if they didn't seem to appreciate it. Sorry you didn't find it, but great of you to spend so much trying!

I was asked to help find a time capsule from a school that had been torn down years ago. They said it was twenty feet from the flag pole. The only problem was that no one remembered where the flag pole was. It's still there as far as I know.

Thats a real bummer there Chip! Next thing you know, that unappreciative person will be accusing you of stealing it! Just like some people do when they want us to find their lost ring...Its like its all our fault that they lost it in the first place, they call, we hustle on out there with our experience and gear like a good Boyscout, and then they dont trust us...!

I suppose, you could have said you found it, and then handed her a empty 25oz can of BudLight stuffed full of dirt, rotten zincs and pulltabs? Of course, burn the paint off of it with a propane torch for the realistic antique effect?:laughing:

Let her saw it open at the big ceremony for the reveal! I doubt anyone now a days would know the difference!:laughing:

This would be the ultimate test for one of those dowsing guys that believe it works....

Maybe it was written about in the local paper, might find something about it in the local library?

<°)))>{

A couple guys and myself also were roped into looking for a local schools time capsule,made the front page of the paper. No capsule,huge property,no real record of where it was and improvements made along the way meant it might have already been inadvertently dug up....wound up being a big red herring.
School only went back to the 60's so no old coins either...worst of all worlds. Two words....IT SUCKED. Made the front page though!

Did you at least find some old coins, given that the place is 100 years old?

Nope. I found a clad quarter, 2 dimes and 12 pennies.

Two years ago I was asked to search for a lost engagement ring. 5 trips and found one solitary silver dime. My parents, wife and son attended this school and I had high hopes. Didn't find the ring either.

You need a friend and a probing rod.

You mark large targets with flags. He investigates with the rod and shovel.

Back
Top Bottom