Carbon fiber tubing?

Aquaman

Elite Member
Anyone got a link to a site with 7/8" tubing? No place locally has it around here. Any special requirements when cutting/drilling carbon fiber tubing:?:

Just treat it like fiberglass and you should be ok. Small drill bits and then size up. Cut it with a small orbital, like a with a tiny blade or a small hacksaw made for delicate work.

I would suggest a hacksaw submerged in water in a plastic container. CF fibers are pretty gnarly according to the car fab guys.

Wear long sleeves and a dust mask at a minimum.

Anyone got a link to a site with 7/8" tubing? No place locally has it around here. Any special requirements when cutting/drilling carbon fiber tubing:?:

look up "Daryl Wong" or "Wong spearguns" he uses carbon fiber to makes custom speaguns. you should be able to get his info on the internet. i not sure which of the islands he is on, it's all Hawaii to us mainlanders. anyway Daryl is a really cool guy and a friend, i'm sure he can help you, out or point you in the right direction. Tell him Matt Swenson from the Mass freedivers sent you. if you can't find him on the net pm me i have his number somewhere.

look up "Daryl Wong" or "Wong spearguns" he uses carbon fiber to makes custom speaguns. you should be able to get his info on the internet. i not sure which of the islands he is on, it's all Hawaii to us mainlanders. anyway Daryl is a really cool guy and a friend, i'm sure he can help you, out or point you in the right direction. Tell him Matt Swenson from the Mass freedivers sent you. if you can't find him on the net pm me i have his number somewhere.

Funny you should mention Daryl...

Attachments

• daryl1t.jpg
    daryl1t.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 497
oh well, i thought daryl would have been helpful. what about some of the other gun builders ? aimrite or kevin at hammerhead i know the tubing for a gun is bigger than you want but i would think their supplier would have smaller stock. doesn't some guy out there build a carbon fiber three prong?? that might be 7/8th. also have you checked ebay?? i bought some carbon fiber tubing to replace an aluminum barrel on one of my guns there. i seem to remember there being all different size at the time.
lastly why are you detecting when you could be shooting fish year round. i only started swinging these stupid machines because the water gets to cold to dive year round here. oddly enough, i am finding this to be nearly as much fun, and cleaning up your finds beats cleaning fish.

oh well, i thought daryl would have been helpful. what about some of the other gun builders ? aimrite or kevin at hammerhead i know the tubing for a gun is bigger than you want but i would think their supplier would have smaller stock. doesn't some guy out there build a carbon fiber three prong?? that might be 7/8th. also have you checked ebay?? i bought some carbon fiber tubing to replace an aluminum barrel on one of my guns there. i seem to remember there being all different size at the time.
lastly why are you detecting when you could be shooting fish year round. i only started swinging these stupid machines because the water gets to cold to dive year round here. oddly enough, i am finding this to be nearly as much fun, and cleaning up your finds beats cleaning fish.

I haven't spoken to Daryl yet but your right, his hybrids and bluewater guns are on a level all their own. Daryls an awesome guy and would give you the shirt off his back (fix your teeth at the same time:lol:). He actually put me right on that Ulua in about 45' of water. I own a carbon hybrid and an older Ono model. I've got his ph#, I'll give him a call and maybe he can introduce me to his carbon fiber tubing supplier. It was actually spearfishing that lead me to this addicting hobby. With bluewater diving though you've got the cost of equipment plus the $ to get out to the buoys or hire a boat/charter if you go outer island...then there's the fuel costs. MDing pays me not the other way around;) Besides, I'm not a big fish eater...and hate cleaning them even more.

Back
Top Bottom