Lost a friend and fellow hunter

NOHEA

I was shocked last night when watching the evening news. A friend and fellow hunter, Alan Schantz, died in a car crash in Wisconsin along with his father and brother. We worked in different divisions at the same place for over 20 years. He retired a few years ago and we didn't keep in touch. One day at the beach, I ran into another hunter and we started talking story. We didn't recognize each other at first because of our sunglasses and hats and that was the last place we expected to see each other. He said he always wanted to metal detect and finally got a detector after he retired. He was passionate about detecting and we would discuss the latest gear, mods, and tall tales when we met at the beach. I'm sure other hunters here ran into him at the beach. He would sometimes wear a fluorescent rash guard so you could see him a mile away. Here is a picture of him that was on the news showing him after another successful hunt. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Attachments

• ALAN.jpg
    ALAN.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 392
Sorry for your loss---double sad because he was early in his retirement.

Sorry for your loss of a Friend. I count my blessings every day as I retired in 2005 and still able to enjoy the hobby.
Marvin

Rest in peace Alan

I met Alan once a couple of years ago while detecting at Ala Moana Beach, he seemed very down to earth and friendly and we talked for around 30 minutes. I asked and he confirmed that he was the same Alan posting on Craig's List occasionally trying to return rings, also remember his very slim straight shaft he built himself for his Excalibur which looked good. It would've been nice to have met up with him more than that one time.

Back
Top Bottom