Some Brainstorming needed

mxtswinger

Elite Member
Found this a couple days ago at a mid-1800's house site. Showed it to a friend who is really good at IDing stuff but he was baffled. It's thin sheet copper or brass and has been flattened out from it's cone shape. My best guess right now is a Christmas tree ornament, maybe with a clapper at one time to make a bell? All guesses welcome.

Attachments

• DSCN2647.jpg
    DSCN2647.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN2645.jpg
    DSCN2645.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 176
I think it's a pretty good guess, even though I've never seen one like that. It's seems to be the right size. I think the handle would attach in that open rectangle space on the edge. Unless that piece has folded over to the inside.

My guess, it fits over a bull's horns to keep you from getting gored.

I gotta side with OD on this one. It sure looks like the ones I have seen on a bulls horn tips. :?:

I guess you've never been to Oklahoma :lol: I will say, it's most likely a candle snuffer, but I've seen similar on cow's horns (keeps them from goring the other cows).

I have another possible id on this item. Although shaped like a candle snuffer, if it was pressed back into 'round', it would be kind of narrow for a candle snuffer. I suggest it may be a chape or tip off a scabbard for a sword, dagger or a bayonet. See the scabbard tips on this site:

http://www.civilwaroutpost.com/dugrelics.htm

BTW - this site is a great site to help you id your civil war finds. Note that they have those coat weights we find for sale - at $12 each. :wow:

Of course, it could be just a snuffer for narrow candles :grin: I know I've seen one of these before, but I can't recall where just now.

Oh I see what you mean. You have a dime laying next to it. That's pretty small.

Great link too.

Thanks for the info TP. That was one of my first hunches, but this piece just doesn't seem sturdy enough and I haven't found any holes for rivets to attach it to the leather. Anyhoo, thanks for the good link. I'll be spending some time there :D

Back
Top Bottom