Anybody using the RNB Innovations batteries?

beachdude

Elite Member
I understand they give you longer search time but use Lithium Ion technology instead of the default NiMH batteries.

I just heard about these and wonder if it is worth my while to pick up a couple for my South Africa trip. Is anyone here using them?

I understand they give you longer search time but use Lithium Ion technology instead of the default NiMH batteries.

I just heard about these and wonder if it is worth my while to pick up a couple for my South Africa trip. Is anyone here using them?

They are great at least for the etrac

I'm looking at getting one for the AT Pro. 30+ hours runtime and only 5 hours charge sounds good. Been looking but can't find a price break below $79. Haven't heard anything but good things about them.

Yes EX3000 for excalibur, had about a month.. really like it but has caused a bad habit. Leaving my detector in my truck over night.

I use one in my V3i and had one for my Etrac before I sold it. Great batteries, much longer run times.

RNB EX-3000 LI-PO Battery

EXCALIBUR EX-3000 Evaluation - TWO THUMBS UP By: WaterWalker February 2017
Rated: 11.2VDC 3000mAH 37.5Wh Technology: Lithium-Ion-Polymer (Li-Po)

In USE: 87 hours; 60 hours submerged in 35F salt water, 10 in 85F salt water, 15 above water in air temperature 35 to 50F and 2 in 80-90F air temperature.

Did I notice any sensitivity, depth, sound or response time improvements over previous NiCad or MiMH 600, 1000, 1500, 1600, 1800mAH battery packs?

NO, I did not expect any!

The amount of power that a detector consumes is a design factor of the detector. A different power source that is within the detector’s operating parameters will have no affect on its sensitivity, depth, sound or response time. Usually the voltage of the battery pack is higher than the voltage needed to power a detector. Most detectors regulate the voltage going to the detector’s circuits to keep the detector running smoothly as the battery pack discharges and its voltage drops. I have used battery packs from: Minelab NiCad, SunRay NiCad, MaxxPacks MiMH, Interstate Battery NiMH and Alkaline packs and found this to be true.

Why move up to the RNB Innovations EX-3000 battery pack?

Its run time and weight.

All the previous battery packs I have used powered the Excalibur for something between 10 and 20 hours. However I got to the point that I kept track of my run time hours and would recharge a battery pack when it reached the 12 hour mark. This was to make sure that my next detecting adventure would not be cut short because of a drained battery pack. And yes, I always carry a spare battery pack.

After my testing of the EX-3000, it looks like I will be able to detect 50 hours with confidence before I would think about a recharge. That is four (4) times the hunt time over my previous rechargeable battery packs. Another plus is that the low battery warning sound lasted for two hours, other battery packs lasted about 5 minutes before the Excalibur would become unusable. With the EX-3000 I was able to continue detecting and recover targets during the two hours I put up with the Excalibur’s yelp.

My arm will not become fatigued as fast as the new EX-3000 in a Minelab pod. The weight reduction is almost a half pound less than the SunRay and a quarter pound less than the Excalibur pods. Another plus is the classy look of the EX-3000 decal showing through the pod – I orientated the battery so the EX-3000 could be read through the area of the pod that was not covered by the Excalibur decal. Just a nice touch for the great combination.
My recommendation: Upgrade, there is NOTHING better on the market!

Specificaitons of my current Excalibur battery packs – my choice the EX-3000

Voltage (V), Run Time (RT) and charge times of my EX-3000 over two cycles

V As Recieved 11.2VDC
RT Before a charge 33 hours
V No Tone 9.6VDC beyond the point of low battery warning
Time to charge 3 hours V After charge 12.5VDC

RT After charge 54.5 hours including 2 hours of low battery warning
V at 54.5 hours 9.8VDC end of useable stability
Time to charge 3 hours V After charge 12.5VDC

EX-3000 Battery installation: see http://rnb-innovations.com/ for detailed instructions

Carefully remove the black plastic heat shrink cover from the end of the battery pod. Remove the two set screws with an Allen wrench. Work the end cap out of the tube. DO NOT pry on its edges with a screwdriver. It is tough to pull out but it will come apart. Carefully remove the old battery from the pod. DO NOT pull out by the end cap wires. Unsnap the old battery as you would any 9V battery. Reverse for re-assembly.

My battery clip fitting was very tight. Be careful not to deform the spring terminals when making the connection, they will go together.

I did leave the desiccant bag in the pod, a good idea should condensation form inside the pod. I would suggest doing the replacement on a dry (low humidity) day.

As my battery fit was a bit loose in the pod. I took a piece of the EX-3000 foam packaging, cut a strip about ¾ X 1½ inches and used it to snug up the fit so the battery did not freely slide around in the pod. The next time I open the pod I will be adding a bit more in length of the foam to ¾ X 2¾ inches so the strip will wrap over three corners of the battery. This should stop the bit of movement I experienced while in cold water when only two corners were covered by the foam. I may try the fit of Minelab's original black form used on their battery packs. The black foam is not as slippery as the white foam.

A turn of electrical tape around the connector end of the assembled pod will give the removed black plastic heat shrink cover a snug fit.

A few bits of IMPORTANT information:

Charger: The charger is rated with a universal input voltage of 100-240VAC. A great if you travel to an area that has 240VAC distribution. The output is rated at 12VDC at 1.2A and will charge the EX-3000 in less than 3 hours, depending on how depleted the battery was when the charging starts. When plugged in a led will illuminate, when charging it will be red and when fully charged, green.

Charging: If you have both the Li-Po EX-3000 and NiMH and/or NiCad batteries you will want to mark the battery pack and chargers so you DO NOT mix them up. They are NOT interchangeable. I put a Li-Po label on the end of the battery before I put it into the pod. I can also see the EX-3000 decal. I also do not leave the Minelab charging adapter connected to a charger. That is so I must make a conscious decision on which charger I am going to use to charge the battery pack I have in hand.

Advantages / Disadvantages of Li-Ion:

The advantages: its high energy density. The cells yield a longer lasting, constant voltage source at a given current. Faster charge times, less effect from cold temperature, and longer shelf life than the NiMH and NiCad cells. All in a lighter package.

The disadvantages: Li-Ion is a developing technology - not as stable as NiMH and NiCad, more care not to completely discharge or over-charge the cells, cell voltage is 3.7VDC and they are not direct replacements for the standard AA cell, and high manufacturing cost. Long storage should be done at 40% charge and in a temperature of 60F (15C) to reduce aging.

Air Travel (FAA regulations) as of October 2016:

What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in carry-on baggage (in the aircraft cabin)?
Spare lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer batteries are prohibited in checked baggage this includes external battery packs. “Checked baggage” includes bags checked at the gate or plane-side.

Batteries allowed in carry-on baggage include:

Dry cell alkaline batteries: typical AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, button-sized cells, etc.

Dry cell rechargeable batteries such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad).
For rechargeable lithium ion batteries; see next paragraph.

Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries. External chargers are also considered to be a battery. (the EX-3000 is 37.5Wh rated)

With airline approval, devices can contain larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours per battery), but spares of this size are limited to two batteries in carry-on baggage only. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment.

Last edited:
I have 2 of this brand batteries and use them on my at pro and now an at max. Last along time and can be topped off without the worry of the battery wearing out.

I have one and it lasts SO MUCH MORE than the regular one. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom