Possible Civil War bullet!!! --renamed after popular unrest :p

pulltabMiner

Forum Supporter
...in Wichita??

Stevouke and I met up to hunt the oldest park in Wichita. After finding two wheats and a number of odds and ends I got a strong dime signal. I dug a hole and somewhere between six and seven inches I found this:

Civ.JPG

It would be super cool if this is a civil war era bullet since that kind of thing is simply not found around here.

People were passing through here long before the Civil war so it's even possible someone was out shootin' at some food back in the day

Last edited:
Congrats!

I hope it is "Civ" for ya, but it looks modern to me... I have yet to find any Civ but I don't do a whole lot of dirt fishin'...

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Dont' remember much civil war fighting in Wichita. Buy Hey, I no expert either call it whatever you want. Still a nice find.

Dont' remember mcuh civil war fighting in Wichita. Buy Hey, I no expert either call it whatever you want. Still a nice find.

LOL! I was kind of hoping a civil war vet brought his rifle out to the west and went hunting. It is the most massive bullet I've found to date outside military stuff from WWII.

Is the base hollow? Wichita had a lot of activity before it ever became a city. Jesse Chisholm opened a trading post here along what is now Waco street. He was searching for gold marked on an old Spanish map marked oro where the Big and Little Arkansas Rivers come together. A lot of people passed through here on their way west.

Neat find! I don't know if your bullet is or isn't but I do know I have found a couple bullets and a couple casings here in Montana that were from weapons used in (during) the Civil War time frame. Also a few other objects. Who knows how things got from point A to point B but anything is a possibility. Found a few 100+ year old coins from overseas here too....in the middle of nowhere. A weapon used in the Civil War could end up in a number of places in the years following.

The problem with those lead bullets is that a lot of people had molds and made the same bullets for decade after decade. I think you can still buy those same bullet molds today.

I hope it is a civil war era find, that would be really cool for the Wichita area!

The problem with those lead bullets is that a lot of people had molds and made the same bullets for decade after decade. I think you can still buy those same bullet molds today.

I hope it is a civil war era find, that would be really cool for the Wichita area!

That's interesting Jason, I'm thinking since the park became a city park in 1884 and there was a neighborhood around the park at that time, that the bullet was fired (or dropped) at a time when there was no park there. At least that's my theory so far. I guess we will never know for sure :no:

Possibly civil war, but people didn't kill their food with bow and arrows in the 1800s, just saying.

Yah, lose the lame lingo. Diggers is getting progressively worse and worse. More and more conjecture about their finds being historically related when one cannot really verify that the said items are historically related.

Wow this poor guy is just trying to figure out info on a find and everyone steamrolls him over the digger lingo. I have hunted with Miner for a year now and we always have fun on our hunts. We toss their lingo around as a joke. Why is it everyone focuses on the lingo? If you can't have fun what is the point? The point being get out and have a good time. Even if it means throwing words out there that we don't typically use? Am. I a bad person for calling gold Au?

Back
Top Bottom