Hoard found yesterday

Solas

I was out yesterday on a Scottish forum dig (Toddys-digs.co.uk) and we hit a hoard of medieval hammerd coins! a total of twentyone coins came up form an area of about 30-40 sq meters, i was lucky to find 2 of them form edward the 1st 13th century, there was a mix of Scottish, Irish and English coins all silver. Toddy is doing the video of us finding the hoard just now, hes busy editing out the swearing! lol. Also a Gold cigarette holder and a half Sov came up from the dig I have been detecting for twenty years now and it was one of the most exciting days yet. Any forum members that are ever over this way are more than welcome to come along to a dig with us. Great site guys keep it up. Happy days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was out yesterday on a Scottish forum dig (Toddys-digs.co.uk) and we hit a hoard of medieval hammerd coins! a total of twentyone coins came up form an area of about 30-40 sq meters, i was lucky to find 2 of them form edward the 1st 13th century, there was a mix of Scottish, Irish and English coins all silver. Toddy is doing the video of us finding the hoard just now, hes busy editing out the swearing! lol. Also a Gold cigarette holder and a half Sov came up from the dig I have been detecting for twenty years now and it was one of the most exciting days yet. Any forum members that are ever over this way are more than welcome to come along to a dig with us. Great site guys keep it up. Happy days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, I am really starting to hate our european brethren...
If I find a 1955 wheatie, I am thrilled.

Congratz on your finds!

WoW! Happy Dancing 4 U in New York!

WOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!!! :cheer::excited::clapping: Congratulations!!!

You know, I am really starting to hate our european brethren...
If I find a 1955 wheatie, I am thrilled.

Congratz on your finds!

Especially when the archaeologists and museums over there actually work WITH detectorists. Instead of like over here, where we are treated like grave robbers and looters !

Looking forward to watching the video !

Congrats to you and the other forum members on finding some real treasure!!!

please post pics or videos...thanks.

Great Job! I love half Sovereigns.

As a matter of fact I love full sovs, 1/4 sovs, 2 pound sovs and 5 pound sovs too. :yes:

You guys across the pond have all the good finds!!!!!!:mad: :lol:

Great job can't wait to see the Video. You need to put a unedited version up so we can see your real reactions... And laugh at the way you guys swear... :laughing:

Man that is amazing!!!! Awesome finds!! Cant wait to see the video!!!! I would love to come over there and find stuff like that!!! WTG!

Sounds like some interesting coins. Had a few myself in my time and I will never tire of seeing those hammered coins come out of the ground.. . .looking forward to seeing the video / pictures.

KT was able to watch the short 2 minute video and the excitement is just rampant! WOW! Wish there was time to watch the full 45 minute vid but that's just a bit too long for me!

But thanks so much for posting! And no need to leave the profanity out...that is so much of the excitement of the hunt...the absolute surprize! Would love to have seen the cameraman's expression when he realized that was an Irish hammered! :laughing::laughing:

KT loved seeing the fellow do his HAPPY yell and dance!

Ever wonder about the guy who owned the coins in the first place?

I would guess that that amount of silver would have given him a fair level of economic comfort in his society. I also imagine that he labored hard to come up with the perfect spot where he could hide them. I also imagine fast forwarding a few hundred years to a subsequent landowner clearing a wooded field and maybe blasting a particular stump out of the way...and then the land being repeatedly plowed for many more years. If the land is still being plowed, you can probably be digging coins for years!

And what became of the original owner that he left his cache behind?

It shouldn't go unthought that finding such sites are the stuff of dreams, and our good fortune in finding them lies almost certainly on the backs of other's misfortunes. This isn't a moralistic comment in any way - it's just the way the "fickle finger of fate" works sometimes, and I find it fascinating to think about. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom