US air base to transfer shipwreck treasure worth millions to Spain

wow, you think your title is long enough. lol

How cheap can Spain be. You've been given millions back that had previously been lost and do not intend to at least reimburse the people who retrieved it for you? What's wrong with this world? Too many greedy people.

Cut and paste was not so good! I'll look before I press enter the next time. Ha. Its ironic that Spain destroyed a civilization or two in getting this silver, and now they want it back. Descendants of Incas and Aztecs might like to have a word or two with them about this.

And Spain stole this money from their conquests of the americas..... They'll be begging for a bailout like Greece soon......

Finders keepers.......

The notion that abandoned derelicts in international waters can be perpetually claimed by the original owners is silly. However, there are a couple of treaties in effect that protect sunken U.S. warships from salvage because they are considered graves and therefore the property of the United States, or whichever country it belonged to. This includes Spain.

This is more complicated than just being in international waters. My advice to the Odyssey guys is to start looking for other jobs, now every country in the world with a claim is going to hire a lawyer and take everything they recover.

Let this be a lesson to everyone.

Sometimes its best to just keep your mouth shut and not brag about it. :cool:

This is chump change compared to Spanish debt. Soon they will be picking the pockets of MDers on Florida's treasure coast for the ocassional silver treasure cob found on the beach from the 1715 fleet wrecks.

Odyssey should be able to sue Spain in some international court or something and get the treasure back, since it wasn't a warship.

If it was out of jurisdiction, then what right did the US have to confiscate the treasure?

Spain does nothing to recover this treasure. Then when somebody finds and recovers it, Spain steps up and says we want it back. It's been lost for over 200 years, Spain should have no claim to it.

...another reminder to keep the jaws shut when i find that big cache of gold

Wrong, JUST WRONG! Bottom line is POLITICS between our country & spain. I wonder if the spanish govt will re-compensate the Inca's or Aztec countries for what they did.

Been following this for awhile. The State Dept compromised the court proceedings by giving Spain information to benefit their case. In return they got Spain to retrive some piece of stolen fine art. Odyssey Marine Exploration took a chance on this operation and unfortunately lost despite some strong precedents to back their case. Odyssey Marine is a class act who invested a lot more than Spain. I was really rooting for Odyssey!

Back
Top Bottom