Raw Gold vdi numbers

johnson

Ok I know that gold can show up any where in the vdi but my question is, is it a consistent hit like say a coin or could it fluctuate like iron jumping all over the scale?
Most videos I have seen I could hear the tone but never really noticed the vdi, and in all metal mode the at-gold is really one tone unless I set the iron audio. But then I risk passing by a small nugget. So I'm just wondering if the vdi should stay pretty well consistent.

Also is there an average area in the vdi that small nuggets normally hit in?

It probably depends on the size. A typical 0.5 g nugget probably might come in like foil or lower if there is a lower segment.

Probably a lot like a 0.900 fine gold coin would. If the nugget had an ounce of gold in it like a double eagle coin then it would register like a dime. If it had half an ounce it would register like a little higher than a zinc penny, 0.25 oz like a $5gp, a little higher than a pop top. 0.125 oz or 3.5g would register like a nickel, 0.05 oz or 1.5g would come in like foil, so 0.5g and smaller might come in like foil or iron. I am basing this on VLF vdi charts for $20,$10,$5,$2.5 and $1 gold coins.

Just a guess...

Also the shape of the nugget and the way the size of the cross-section that is swept with the coil would change what size the detector sees. If you have a 2mm x 4mm nugget sweeping one way it would look the same as a 4mm nugget, and the other it would look 2mm... Much like a pull tab comes in higher from one direction and lower from 90 degrees...

If you are talking about a rock of gold ore, it might not come register at all. Above I was assuming you meant gold nuggets.

Easy..

The reason nobody is answering this is most gold nugget hunters don't use VDI display machines. We hunt in all metal all the time so there is no need for the cute little screens. I'm sure it rings up as lead though. Birdshot sounds just like gold.. :cool:

Ok I know that gold can show up any where in the vdi but my question is, is it a consistent hit like say a coin or could it fluctuate like iron jumping all over the scale?
Most videos I have seen I could hear the tone but never really noticed the vdi, and in all metal mode the at-gold is really one tone unless I set the iron audio. But then I risk passing by a small nugget. So I'm just wondering if the vdi should stay pretty well consistent.

Also is there an average area in the vdi that small nuggets normally hit in?

I have just scanned a rock which I have, with a large visible strain of raw gold in.

The VDI on my explorer XS jumps arould, when I am holding the gold away from the coil (Iron content), but I see this sample showing a steady 27 (Two bars straith under the s in the 'smart' label).

You would find the gold in the same range as gold rings.

Remember that the gold I have just scanned is BIG - just like gold rings you can expect it to vary depending on the size and purity.

HH

/Steffen

One more thing.

maybe you should discriminate by sound, since there's so much Iron in the rocks close to gold??

I'm sure that a expert prospector can help you, but I'm sure there's a reason for them not to use a VLF for prospecting..

/Steffen

One more thing.

maybe you should discriminate by sound, since there's so much Iron in the rocks close to gold??

I'm sure that a expert prospector can help you, but I'm sure there's a reason for them not to use a VLF for prospecting..

/Steffen

Terry Soloman is right, prospectors rarely use VLFs with IDs screens.

VLFs are used but are usully a specilized machine for prospecting (beep & dig is usully the rule)........PI units rule in the depth department.

Gold naturaly is rarely pure (+ it can be mixed with other minerals, naturaly) & julery is usly mixed with other metals to get a desired effect (yellow-white-rose + # of Karets). When you see the postings from people who find good targets concistantly, most dig everything.

Also because julery is made into all sizes & shapes it also is hard to pigenhole like coins & other targets. That is why ID machines are rarely used for gold + as the target increases depth, IDing gets more iffy.

An expert I'm not...............If any part of my statments are wrong I'm sure it will be corrected by somebody with more experance.

My Two Cents

Good hunting .......................wonderer

One more thing.

/Steffen

Kind of hard to disc by sound.. All metal mode has only one tone unless I set iron audio, but then I risk passing over a small nugget.

Although I did kind of get an answer to my question after rereading the manual that came with my at-gold.... imagine that.. a useful manual :lol:

Well Johnson,

I've also had the :facepalm:-experience regarding the manual with my explorer. :laughing::laughing:

The sound on your garrett reveils more than you think regarding the minerals in the ground.

long tone rising slowly from thresshold to full signal, and then decending just as slow will be a hot-rock. think of a sinus wave - it should sound like that.

A tone rising sharply, and then falling just as fast on the edges will be a real signal. (allmost like a square wave)

This is something I learned from listening to my garrett GTI 1500 while staying in Greenland.

Try it and you will be suprised about how easy you can avoid the hotrocks.

you don't need to know anymore of your machine if you are hunting for gold in a remote area, since there will be only targets and hotrocks.

I would bring a PI machine if i was to hunt for gold in such an area again - I think that the AT-PRO would only find big nuggets at the surface.

HH.

Don't know about nuggets, but I have dug 7 gold rings from large class rings to tiny kids rings that hardly fit on my pinkie, and every one was a solid, consistent tone in disk from iron on the small ones up to zinc on the big ones.

This was within inches of the coil...as get further away they get jumpy.

Back
Top Bottom