• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Sword

Bahr

Sword004.jpg

Sword003.jpg

Sword002.jpg

Sword006.jpg

Now I do metal detect a little bit as a hobby. But I actually found this sword ploughing a cotton field. I had it looked at and they reckon its a artillery generals sword. But i'm not sure if thats right or not. So, I'm going over that area heavily tomorrow with my metal detector.
And since ya'll know a bit more than me, can ya'll rate or tell me anything about my new detector? If anyone has used one like it and what they think? Its a fisher f2 model.

:shock:

That's an amazing eyeball find! I'm looking forward to seeing what else you find out there.

Here is one of the best threads on the F2 you will find. It's good reading.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53930

Doug

Welcome to the forum!!!

Well thank you. And to add, I do extensive research, buying and selling, and careful restoration of knives. So any antique or new knife questions anyone has I can happily try to answer. I never have studied swords though.

Did you restore it somehow? If you really found that in that condition without it being all rusted and beat up and beyond restoring, congrats.

Where is the rust? Did you buy it? I'm confused. Cool story bro. You're 19 and plowed a cotton field...in what state? Country? There's no rust on the blade and that patina is just plain wrong for something coming out of the ground. Did you 'restore it' somehow. If you really found that in that condition without it being all rusted and beat up and beyond restoring, congrats.

You mean when you were 19 you had never plowed a field before? :lol:

Well....I think he found it in the ground based on the OP....Very nice find!! HH
NC

Thats in unbelievable condition, if it's been in the ground for all those years.

Lovely sword :clap:

I live in middle Georgia on a cotton and peanut farm. The sword was in the sheath, dirty as hell. But a good wash and a light tooth brush got it clean with out messing anything up. Very, very little rust by some miracle, and also the only bad marks are a small dent in the middle of the sheath, and half the handle guard is broke off. Honestly I find more stuff just walking and looking at the ground than metal detecting. Such as arrow heads and broke pieces of pottery, I'll post some pics of them later if theres any interest. But I have found old plough and grading teeth, and various other chains and rings for rigging up horses and mules.
Metal detecting is a hobby, but I include just looking at the ground as part of my hobby. And often get good results. Try it out sometime.

I live in middle Georgia on a cotton and peanut farm. The sword was in the sheath, dirty as hell. But a good wash and a light tooth brush got it clean with out messing anything up. Very, very little rust by some miracle, and also the only bad marks are a small dent in the middle of the sheath, and half the handle guard is broke off. Honestly I find more stuff just walking and looking at the ground than metal detecting. Such as arrow heads and broke pieces of pottery, I'll post some pics of them later if theres any interest. But I have found old plough and grading teeth, and various other chains and rings for rigging up horses and mules.
Metal detecting is a hobby, but I include just looking at the ground as part of my hobby. And often get good results. Try it out sometime.

Been doing that my whole life. Best find is a $100 bill.

Just can't believe the patina on it. Should be much darker if that's brass. Your soil must be good to you there.

You need to take a detector back where you found it and see if you can find the rest of the guard. I used to get in trouble in the Army because I was always looking on the ground. I find a lot of things that way while detecting, but I always have to swing the coil over them to make sure that I'm not seeing things,

Not planning to sell the sword, ever. But what would you reckon to be the value of it? Or how much would you pay for it?

Somebody dropped that in your field recently.

No way that sword has been sitting in the dirt for 100 years.

You might check and see if any of your neighbors have been robbed recently. Burglars often drop items on the run.

Somebody dropped that in your field recently.

No way that sword has been sitting in the dirt for 100 years.

You might check and see if any of your neighbors have been robbed recently. Burglars often drop items on the run.

No robberies around my parts for nearly 40 years. I checked with a relative who has been in law enforcement for ages. Their used to be a small riverside community where I live now, it may have belonged to one of them. But at the most it would have still been in the dirt for 70-80 years.

About two years ago, one of our club members brought in a sword that had been recovered from north Chichamauga creek, that was in as good or better condition than this sword.

The guy was fishing in the creek and stumbled over the sword. When he pulled it out of the mud, he accidently put a small hole in the scabbard.

Evidently, the mud protected it. This sword may have been wrapped in an oil cloth or something to protect it.

Back
Top Bottom