Only one silver, but it was a first for me.

bobac

Elite Member
Well, I thought there should be some old coins in this spot.....I only came up with one good one, but boy was I happy to find it.....My oldest silver in my young career.....
I'm not a serious collector, so could I get some opinions on a grade please?

Attachments

• 20140918_165129 1000mp.jpg
    20140918_165129 1000mp.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC08989 1000mp.jpg
    DSC08989 1000mp.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC08987 1000mp.jpg
    DSC08987 1000mp.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC08990 shield.jpg
    DSC08990 shield.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 236
Congrats!!!!! Way to go on your first silver find. Young career, or not, a clean seated dime like yours will make any longtime TH'er do the happy dance.

Congrats on your first seated. I wouldn't get too hung up on the grade....even silver coins are downgraded significantly when they are deemed to have come out of the ground. Unless it is a super key date or very rare coin the value to you and the joy of finding it are usually MUCH greater than the numismatic value...just my opinion.

The important thing is...you found a seated and many seasoned detectorists have gone their whole career and never found one. Major congrats!

absolutely right!

Congrats on your first seated. I wouldn't get too hung up on the grade....even silver coins are downgraded significantly when they are deemed to have come out of the ground. Unless it is a super key date or very rare coin the value to you and the joy of finding it are usually MUCH greater than the numismatic value...just my opinion.

The important thing is...you found a seated and many seasoned detectorists have gone their whole career and never found one. Major congrats!

Thanks Mr.Digger. Yup you are absolutely right. It is the excitement and anticipation that keeps me out there digging. I was doubly lucky to get one that wasn't worn out smooth.....
Although , a Carson City mint would've been pretty cool too.....

more details......

Nice seated dime! Any details on how you found it? (Type of site, depth, etc).
Well Dave,
It is a little known fact, The sight which is a park now, used to be an airfield throughout the 20s , and held many daredevil airshows and attractions.....
This park has been pounded for decades.....but,My friend and I both got Minelabs this year and hit that park for 5 or 6 weeks this spring and summer... we have pulled dozens of goodies outta that dirt....mercs, rosies , Barbers, wheats mostly..but, just in one corner we pulled a total of 7 Large cents, some we believe to be pre1800!!!
So, based on those finds I asked permission at a church directly across the street, and though it appears to have also been picked over, I did manage the old dime which read 9 inches on my CTX. When I saw the 11-44 signal I would have expected and been happy with a rosie or merc, probably been shocked to see a barber, but older than that, wow!!!!
truth is, you just never know where an 1800s coin is gonna pop up.....we don't know what the terrain and vegetation in an area looked like 150 years ago.....

I've been detecting for over 2 years, and got my 3rd barber today, which was worn, worn, worn! Never have I got a seated, let alone a super nice barber like that! Congrats

Thanks Mr.Digger. Yup you are absolutely right. It is the excitement and anticipation that keeps me out there digging. I was doubly lucky to get one that wasn't worn out smooth.....

Of course with all that being said I must admit I look at the Red Book with almost every coin I find...fun to think maybe we might stumble across something really valuable someday.

Of course with all that being said I must admit I look at the Red Book with almost every coin I find...fun to think maybe we might stumble across something really valuable someday.

Well Dave,
It is a little known fact, The sight which is a park now, used to be an airfield throughout the 20s , and held many daredevil airshows and attractions.....
This park has been pounded for decades.....but,My friend and I both got Minelabs this year and hit that park for 5 or 6 weeks this spring and summer... we have pulled dozens of goodies outta that dirt....mercs, rosies , Barbers, wheats mostly..but, just in one corner we pulled a total of 7 Large cents, some we believe to be pre1800!!!
So, based on those finds I asked permission at a church directly across the street, and though it appears to have also been picked over, I did manage the old dime which read 9 inches on my CTX. When I saw the 11-44 signal I would have expected and been happy with a rosie or merc, probably been shocked to see a barber, but older than that, wow!!!!
truth is, you just never know where an 1800s coin is gonna pop up.....we don't know what the terrain and vegetation in an area looked like 150 years ago.....

Thanks for the info. I always love hearing the backstory of nice finds like this (site history, etc). And very true about the last sentence-- I've had better success (for old stuff) looking in off-the-grid spots that were likely more in use decades (or centuries) ago. Research is key.

Back
Top Bottom