Can popcorn cause pneumonia ???

Aspirating ANY food can cause pneumonia.
Lungs should never have the bacteria that is present in your mouth introduced because the chances of pneumonia skyrocket, and it only gets worse the older you are.

My late Uncle Charles, who was a victim of Huntington's Disease, died of aspiration pneumonia. He couldn't control all his muscles anymore, and the food went down the windpipe, and he died shortly later. Not popcorn, by the way.

Any food down the windpipe is bad news.

-- Tom

Back in 1975, I was a dishwasher at a large restaurant...I rode my bicycle there...I was pulling down 2.25/hr....One night, as the shift was ending, my boss sent me into the walk in cooler to dispose of a few left over racks of cookie trays filled up with jello...Told me to take them and toss the jello into the trash and wash out the pans and get the place ready for tomorrow.

After a long shift, I was hungry, so I stuck my face right down into the middle of one of the jello pans and pulled a massive vacuum, The idea being to slurp the whole tray down in less than a second, save some time etc...But due to some sort of internal navigational gastronomical error, that whole tray of jello went into my lungs instead of my stomach! I could not breath! My lungs were filled with a whole pan of cherry jello!

Luckily, the strength of a youthful diaphram and fear of death was on my side, I gave a mighty snort which caused the jello to shoot out my nostrils like I was some sort of Playdoh Fun Factory or twin barrel Silly String dispenser!! I caught it all in the cookie tray, it looked like a tub of nightcrawlers or boogery bloodworms....

FWIW...After a few moments to compose myself, catch my breath, concentrate on proper product placement, I went after that tray of Lime jello successfully...Looking back, that was probably the best job I ever had! As a dishwasher, I ate real well! Its unbelievable how much good food some people leave on their plates! :laughing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom