Wow the buckles

Logan74

I pretty-much hunted out an old 1800's home site near me, and started moving out into the fields nearby. I found a few old relics deep in the ground (most were deeper than 8") in the field. In about an hour I had picked up a 1921 wheat, 2 broken harmonica reeds, and the internals to an antique clock.

Well it was hot as heck, so I took a break beneath some trees. While I was sitting there I saw an old buckle just sitting on the surface of the ground. Naturally I started swinging beneath those trees after that find.

I've been to that site three times now, and I'm shocked at how many buckles are coming out of the ground there! Most of these have been shallow (less than 4 inches, if not right on top). All of these came from a pretty small area (about 50 ft squared). Only two are brass (I cleaned the big ring up, as you can probably tell), the rest are iron.

This was (and still is) a farming area, but it still amazed me at how many buckles and rings came out of there.

buckles2.jpg

Amazing indeed! Wow! Great collection... There must have been a little outbuilding there where they stored horse tack or geared up their team of work horses... That is definitely too many to lose just in the course of working...

Amazing indeed! Wow! Great collection... There must have been a little outbuilding there where they stored horse tack or geared up their team of work horses... That is definitely too many to lose just in the course of working...

X2 Nice collection.

That's what I was thinking too. The site is a few hundred feet down the hill from the known house site, so assuming it was a barn or tack shed.

Back
Top Bottom