• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Civil war dog tag? I hope so!

Dog tags were not issued to Civil War troops. Some soldiers had their own ID tags made so their bodies might be identified should they fall in battle.

I was gonna say the same thing... a very well known fact. A privately made ID tag that was either worn or sewn to a uniform or whatever is just plain awesome though. Most folks had no money and just stitched into the clothing their names in fear of not being ID on the battlefield. Those with means, did things like what you have there Dave :waytogo:

I was gonna say the same thing... a very well known fact. A privately made ID tag that was either worn or sewn to a uniform or whatever is just plain awesome though. Most folks had no money and just stitched into the clothing their names in fear of not being ID on the battlefield. Those with means, did things like what you have there Dave :waytogo:

This post got me cruising around the net and I learned some pretty interesting things last night... Thanks HEAVYMETALNUT.

Some of the personally made dog tags were made out of old worn down coins.

There are some interesting things out there to find and a very few of us find them, the rest of us read about those who did.

Great dig.

Very Cool Find Dave! I've done a lot of geneology research. I think your best bet is 1st find his grave, then get his info from the cemetary office. From there you can go to city hall & get his death certificate. You might want to reach out to the State Library in Hartford to see if they can help you out.

Very Cool Find Dave! I've done a lot of geneology research. I think your best bet is 1st find his grave, then get his info from the cemetary office. From there you can go to city hall & get his death certificate. You might want to reach out to the State Library in Hartford to see if they can help you out.
Thanks Rog! think i may have enough on this fella now thanks to some forum members

WOW amazing! I always thought thought XLT was one of the best cellar hole machines on the market ever since the days of Ed Fedory using them for "The Relic Hunter" stories. The CW ID badge looks legit to me but I'm not expert, it's obviously an ID badge of some sort from the period. Nice Gold cufflink too!

wow amazing! I always thought thought xlt was one of the best cellar hole machines on the market ever since the days of ed fedory using them for "the relic hunter" stories. The cw id badge looks legit to me but i'm not expert, it's obviously an id badge of some sort from the period. Nice gold cufflink too!

i love my xlt!

A truly remarkable and historic find! A great recovery and a wonderful thing that that item has been saved from the dirt!

This could be more information about this man:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M97Z-8QS

George%2520Alexander.jpg

Rob

That is a really cool find. Good luck on matching it up to the real soldier. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom