What do you tell people ?

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
Frank's post started me thinking about how others perceive our hobby. When someone asks me what I do with all my time in retirement I hedge around other things like my volunteer job, I try to change the subject, etc. as I feel most have a preconceived idea of a guy on the beach in shorts & high socks picking up pennies.

As detecting is so much more, most people can't understand it. Between the goofy cartoons they make about us and the scumbags who sneak into sites, pillage & make the criminal news we are not in an enviable situation.

Question : what do you all tell people when they ask you what you do in your off times ? steve in so az

I've actually told quite a few people out here on the boat recently about it. Their response, "Really?"

Haha. One girl was very intrigued by it, asking about how much they cost, and other this and that questions.

It depends on who they are. If I think they are meatheads, I don't tell them about it. If I think they might find it even slightly interesting, I tell them about it.

I mostly tell people I enjoy the hobby because it gets me outside for some quality alone time. I never tell people I don't know about my finds. Any time anyone asks what I finding I say "Junk and pennies, but mostly junk."

Honestly it's kind of selfish but I do in many ways feel the less people in this hobby the better.

I tell anyone if the question arises, and I'd say 90% of the responses have been positive, and many have said they've thought about getting a detector. I'm a very independent person, and I don't care if they like it or not.

Question : what do you all tell people when they ask you what you do in your off times ?

My usual answer is: "Well, since I don't play golf and I have retired and wanted a healthy hobby I took up up this great addiction!"
It helps to have lived my whole life in a California beach town!:D:cool:
The response is mostly vague looks and half smiles!:D

If they ask nicely, I just tell them I Treasure Hunt, Golf, and Windsurf.

If they don't ask nicely, I tell them I'm planning a series of burglaries...then ask them when they're going on vacation. LOL

I paid my dues like the other retired folks here.

I think what we tell people about our MD interest is to tell them exactly what you're doing and with enthusiasm. It can be a GREAT conversation starter, especially if you show them pictures of some of your favorite finds. There are a great many people that would love to do what we are doing, but just haven't taken the time to investigate the sport, or haven't saved the money to buy a MD yet. People that I've told about it can carry the conversation by themselves. They either have done it in the past, or know someone that has MD in the past. They can be great to tell you of areas to hunt that you haven't thought of yet, too. You're not doing anything wrong, so just go with the flow, and have fun with it! Cheers!:D
GiGi

I don't have to tell most people anything..

I live in a small community and most people know I detect. The most common question I get is"Did you find anything good when I saw you the other day?" I'm the guy they call when they lose something or need to find survey pins. property markers,even septic tank lids.

I tell people that it's my therapy. It really is. That and prayer. It's contemplative, calm, and quiet. It's exercise. It pays for itself. When I was a kid, I'd play "pirate treasure" and bury things in our huge backyard. Then I'd dig my piggy bank up again. I caught a scolding from my mom over that one. Buried it under my window so I'd remember where. People who "don't get it" never had the child's heart of adventure and imagination. These are the same people who can't go camping and sleep under the stars because they can't feel the gypsy in their soul and the prospect of a few bugs freaks them out. :D Adventure, to them, is shopping at the mall. Just finding some humor, here.

I agree with duse - a child's imagination. At 65 I still am having fun looking for treasure.
I also agree with Z - the fewer the better.
Steve in so az

If you really want to see some startled faces, try going to a Competition Hunt.

Most bystanders are simply "dumbstruck" to see 50 - 60 people in a field or on a beach with metal detectors. :lol:

My answer is as simple as the question... "We go metal detecting."
People sometimes look at me a little funny because they simply don't understand. I always wait for the next question..."You mean like at a beach or something?"
My asnwer to that is, "Well, sometimes you can find some really cool stuff at a beach or in the water if you have an underwater detector, but I like to go to old places ~ you know, like old foundations of where the first settlers of a town lived."

I've never had anyone leave the conversation after my first response to the initial question. They usually have a ton of other questions for me and are surprised at how cool the hobby actually can be. I'm sure some day someone will just look at me weird and leave the conversation after my first response, but it hasn't happened yet.

When I am detecting at the beach most people just ask if I found any rings. I always tell them not yet but I'm still looking. Sometimes they tell me of lost jewelry and others ask the usual questions about the detector or stuff. I never tell anybody what I find or how much. Most people will never understand why we do this and I will just let them think I'm someone looking for pennies.

I don't mind telling people that I md.
I'm less inclined to tell people what I do for a living. Not very popular with some folks.

Yeah . . . what do you do for a living? As far as telling people about my hobby, I do tell them and quite often, they're interested. I think the Blue Ford Theory applies here, too: you never see a blue Ford until the day you buy one, and then they are everywhere! Meaning that while WE all think that the general public has opinions about our hobby, the fact is, most of them don't know anything at all about it, let alone have an opinion about it. Just my 2 wheat pennies worth. . .

I'm a field sergeant with the Texas prison system. I'm armed and on horse back and take the inmates out and make them work in the fields.
Like I said, not very popular with some folks.

I get someone

once a week approach me while I am detecting. Most are interested in trying the hobby. As far as letting others know what I do in my spare time,
if they ask, I tell. I played golf with a deputy sheriff the other day. He played baseball for a while when he was younger, so the conversation was mostly about that. It led to baseball memorabelia, and took a turn toward buying items. I told him I sell coins on ebay, and ocassionally bought baseball stuff with the money I made. That led to detecting coins, and his eyes lit up. You guys actually find coins worth selling? Gave him my best New Hampshire "Ayuh"....We find lots of plain ole coins too. that we clean, return to circulation, and guess what, it's real money. I buy Morgan dollars and an occasional gold coin with the proceeds, donate some to charities and get plenty of excercise doing it. It's a hobby we enjoy, not for everyone, but there are a lot of us doing it..Gil

I'm a field sergeant with the Texas prison system. I'm armed and on horse back and take the inmates out and make them work in the fields.
Like I said, not very popular with some folks.

Shakin it, Boss!

You shakin it, Luke?

Shakin it, Boss! :D

If you're where I think you are, I went to Sam Houston and did the Criminal Justice degree. Now I manufacture golf clubs. Go figure.

Coolwhips :cool:

Disclaimer: Just got back from the dentist with a bottle full of Hydrocodone.

Back
Top Bottom