Hello all from Monterey Ca

MetalMetal

New to this site as well as metal detecting. I purchased an inexpensive, yet so far useful, detector to do this with my son. We used it for a few day and found a handful of coins he being 4 quickly lost interest.

Fast forward to yesterday, below from my one and only post so far...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=18859

I took it out yesterday and found 5 Roosevelt dimes and a really faded Mercury dime. Went back this am and found we found a nice 1941 Mercury and 2 more Roosevelt dimes and a small silver ring. All were found in a 10x10 meter area, the area is semi wet and the sand his med course.

Needless to say I am hooked and will go out later today and see what I dig up.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Hi Metalmetal,

Welcome to our forum! Your finds are from one of the Monterey beaches? What kind of shape are the coins in? If you found them in the wet sand and they are "original" drops, I would expect the salt water to have done a job on them. If they look "pretty", they are recent drops.

Haven't heard of any weather related massive sand movement in Monterey lately, so they may be recent finds. Anyway, silver is silver. Congrats.

By the way, a few years back, after a winter storm, there was a $20 gold coin found in the dunes, South of that beachfront hotel by Sand City.

Welcome from across the bay!! Were the Roosevelts pre 1965? If so, I'm headed over there!!:D Good luck to you!

Sounds like some great digs - post some pictures! I found a Mercury Head dime on a very popular beach in NH this summer, I was amazed!

I see you are in Monterey, all I can think of are my two favorite books, Cannery Row and Sweet Thurday.

Welcome from Amador County

Metal Metal,
Welcome aboard. I used to live in the cool climate of Santa Cruz and worked in Monterey at one time. I decided to move to the heat in Amador County. This coming weekend I am coming down to Santa Cruz and go MD hunting with my good friend SeeBee Ron. Put the women and children away. Take care and have fun.
DrDoom:cool:::D

Thanks guys for the warm welcome.

The beach I have been hitting is Asilomar State Beach, just south of Monterey, I live near there so not too far to walk or drive.

I did my 3rd trip to my spot with no luck, the sand was much wetter than the earlier run. I like my detector but think I am seeing the height of its curve of effectiveness.

My son and I moved to the main beach, after an hour and a grand total of 43 cents and one Spanish Bay golf ball we decided to leave. I gave it one last shot and at the bottom of one of the access steps and found a nice ring. I will post shots after I get to work and take pics.

Wellcom From Central Valley California

thats great, I pretty new myself, but I have had quite a few good finds and am completely Hooked on the hobby and this Forum, on top of that picked up coin Collecting allong the way, Or as we say Numismatic. :p
HH

Welcome from just "up the road" in Los Gatos, Ca.

Sounds like you have a "hot spot". Send pics when you can...please.

Happy Hunting!!!

This is part of what I found, the rest was about 2 bucks in various coins. The ring to the left is fake but nice looking, the ring to the right is silver with the word "FAITH".

No luck today but was able to spend the time with my son, was nice to hear the stories he learned today in school.

Attachments

• DSC_00422.jpg
    DSC_00422.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,350
Great finds, thx for the pix!! These were found on Asilomar Beach eh, very cool indeed! I would have thought all the oldies would have been picked clean from there. Over here in Santa Cruz we need a big winter storm to move tons of sand out before we ever get to any oldies on the beaches. Congratz again!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom