Im actually taking a second look at the whites MXT

ohiochris

Elite Member
I have been looking at the Garrett ATpro because of features like the higher frequency , iron audio , etc , and I do really like most of what I read about it except for lack of threshold control. I walked away from whites detectors years ago because of the size and weight , which are still an issue for me since I am having some shoulder problems , but with the MXT offering pretty much all the functionality of the AT pro ( even iron audio ) , PLUS threshold control....which would be useful not only for locating deep targets but also for finding pockets of black sand when I go gold prospecting , I am actually thinking of possibly going back to a whites detector. That is if I can get used to the idea of it being heavier and bulkier. Of course I cant afford to upgrade yet anyway , and it may be a while , so Ive got plenty of time to keep looking into them , but if I could find a good enough deal on a slightly used MXT so that the price is closer to that of the AT pro , its looking like that may be more detector for the money in functions that I will actually use.

I dont know why Garrett didnt offer threshold control on the AT pro , that would have nearly made it hands down the most functional and affordable dual purpose detector out there.

Threshold control is nice, my GMT has it and my M6 doesn't, but they're both sweet. I'm going to a tot lot right now with the M6 since my son went to his mom's, he's only 4 and isn't very patient with me walking around detecting, he's always wanting to take the pointer and play army with it, which is cool, but I want to find stuff, heh. I'm also going to try my GMT is tot lots too but it's got no target ID.

I'll tell you what, I'll do my M6 in a nearby tot lot and tomorrow I'll hit the exact same tot lot with my GMT and see the difference. M6 is more general use and it's not as sensitive to small gold as the GMT.

I have a MXT Pro and it's a coin slayer. As you probably know, it also has prospecting and relic modes.

I would recommend the MXT Pro over the MXT because the Pro gives you multiple tones (low for ferrous, high for coins).

first detector was a silver u max and loved it,now i have a mxt tracker this thing is great and still learning it after a year.It is heavy though.Looked at the at pro hard i like that you could submerse it.im waiting for it to calm down and maybe get a used one.Lots of good detectors out there.

I have been looking at the Garrett ATpro because of features like the higher frequency , iron audio , etc , and I do really like most of what I read about it except for lack of threshold control. I walked away from whites detectors years ago because of the size and weight , which are still an issue for me since I am having some shoulder problems , but with the MXT offering pretty much all the functionality of the AT pro ( even iron audio ) , PLUS threshold control....which would be useful not only for locating deep targets but also for finding pockets of black sand when I go gold prospecting , I am actually thinking of possibly going back to a whites detector. That is if I can get used to the idea of it being heavier and bulkier. Of course I cant afford to upgrade yet anyway , and it may be a while , so Ive got plenty of time to keep looking into them , but if I could find a good enough deal on a slightly used MXT so that the price is closer to that of the AT pro , its looking like that may be more detector for the money in functions that I will actually use.

I dont know why Garrett didnt offer threshold control on the AT pro , that would have nearly made it hands down the most functional and affordable dual purpose detector out there.

I f you like the At pro but want a threshold and all metal mode look at the AT Gold. I have a great package on my site. The 5x8 coil is amazing!

I f you like the At pro but want a threshold and all metal mode look at the AT Gold. I have a great package on my site. The 5x8 coil is amazing!

Ive been looking at the gold as well , but even though I would gain threshold and all metal it looks as though I would lose some functionality as a coin hunter. Some things seem to have been stripped from the pro in the gold version. The problem is that until a person tries out these machines , you dont know for sure what you are willing to give up for the extra abilities of the other. Its like that no matter what detectors you are looking at but between two that are so close in comparison , one little detail can mean a lot when out in the field. I like both models , but the tone roll and extra search modes may come in handy for all I know and Id lose them with the AT gold. I have plenty of time to decide , though I am wayyyyy ready to upgrade from my ace. Thanks for the reply , and I will be sure to talk to ya when I am ready to buy.

Back
Top Bottom