*SOLVED* Cast iron oddity "pan"?

Foragist

Forum Supporter
This is not a MD find, but rather a thriftin' score. Anyone know what this cast iron pan-related thing is, or what it was for???
My googlin' produced one similar item on Worthpoint, but they didn't know what it was either.
Markings under handle look like DB 95 06

Attachments

• Resized_20210417_175325.jpg
    Resized_20210417_175325.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 400
  • Resized_20210417_175507.jpg
    Resized_20210417_175507.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 417
  • Resized_20210417_175415.jpg
    Resized_20210417_175415.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Reminds me of something for sliding into/out of an oven. Like the big pizza pans.

Reminds me of something for sliding into/out of an oven. Like the big pizza pans.

Yes and no. It seems to be designed for lifting/transferring/oven loading something, but not pizza. It has no beveled leading edge for sliding under something like a pizza. The side wings look like they are made to hold something heavy. :?:

Oh, you mean pizza pans! Yeah, maybe...

Bingo! What I was going to say. I think pizza hut might have given them as medals to their most active chefs!

Josh

Still skeptical about the pizza relation. I think that looks like a "gate mark" on the bottom. Apparantly, that means it was made before 1880 or 1890...long before pizzarias were a thing in this country.

It's got me stymied. I tried googling hoe cake cooking device, and open end skillet with no luck. Got me curious.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Still skeptical about the pizza relation. I think that looks like a "gate mark" on the bottom. Apparantly, that means it was made before 1880 or 1890...long before pizzarias were a thing in this country.

I wasn't really saying it was for pizza, the obvious heft of cast iron alone eliminates that. More pointing out it's to slide things on and off like a pan, and it's not something bent/damaged/broken.

Looks like it hooks on the edge of a fire grate over an open fire. The legs seem long enough to catch a couple of the bars on the grate? That's all I got....:yes:

Some of those square flat open pans were marketed as for tortillas and such. Maybe makes since, load it, put it over fire but below a grate hanging from those ears..??

I wasn't really saying it was for pizza, the obvious heft of cast iron alone eliminates that. More pointing out it's to slide things on and off like a pan, and it's not something bent/damaged/broken.

Looks like it hooks on the edge of a fire grate over an open fire. The legs seem long enough to catch a couple of the bars on the grate? That's all I got....:yes:

Yes, it appears to be some kind of lifter/loader tool. It was manufactured the way it is; not homemade or modified. So I would think whatever it was meant to lift/load would be somewhat round, fitting inside the round inner area, but have some kind of ears that fit within those wing arms, so it would be held firmly.

It's got me stymied. I tried googling hoe cake cooking device, and open end skillet with no luck. Got me curious.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Some of those square flat open pans were marketed as for tortillas and such. Maybe makes since, load it, put it over fire but below a grate hanging from those ears..??

That's what I was thinking

Thanks for the Googling and thinking and commenting. Maybe something will click into place.

Not pizza, but I do think it was meant to fit in an oven that it probably belonged with and had the same style. Maybe for bread or rolls...maybe even steak.

Im going with a pan for lifting a Dutch oven. If the Dutch oven doesn't have a handle on it, how would one lift it out of the oven? Hmmm.....

I think it is too heavy and with only one handle to be a tool to remove pans etc. The 'arms' as CTcurt said above do look like they're there to hold it in position. With it being cast iron and smooth topped my guess is it is for cooking on, what I have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom