• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Pre civ button help

joe dert

Elite Member
1830-1840 sliver plate infantry. But can’t seem to find a match on the 4 arrows in the eagles claw. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• BCC10482-E72D-448B-8413-4E7770771343.jpg
    BCC10482-E72D-448B-8413-4E7770771343.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 259
  • 917CCBF1-8423-48EB-B7B2-0C3F7F54883A.jpg
    917CCBF1-8423-48EB-B7B2-0C3F7F54883A.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 283
My resources show three arrows as well. Maybe it's a later than 1840 addition for a new generation of button?

My resources show three arrows as well. Maybe it's a later than 1840 addition for a new generation of button?

The back mark seems to date it to 1830-40 in what I could find. And the “chicken head” eagle is an early version as we all know. I can find similar with 3 arrows but not the 4th...btw that cool sword is probably civil war, but to me for some reason looks slightly older...

I would suggest you send a pic of that one to American Digger. Charles Harris has a direct line to some of the best button people around. I just looked thru Tice's book and couldn't find an example with four arrows.

I would suggest you send a pic of that one to American Digger. Charles Harris has a direct line to some of the best button people around. I just looked thru Tice's book and couldn't find an example with four arrows.[/QUOTE

I’ll try to get a picture to Mr. Harris. I’m surprised you didn’t find it in Tices book. Thanks for helping.

That company made a lot of different military buttons. I went thru everyone of their buttons in Albert's book, but none had the four arrows. The backmark shows your button definitely goes back before the civil war. Maybe it was some sort of special order button with the silver plating, but it's hard to believe they would have a special die made just for special order buttons. I'll let Charlie know about your button so he will be on the lookout.

That company made a lot of different military buttons. I went thru everyone of their buttons in Albert's book, but none had the four arrows. The backmark shows your button definitely goes back before the civil war. Maybe it was some sort of special order button with the silver plating, but it's hard to believe they would have a special die made just for special order buttons. I'll let Charlie know about your button so he will be on the lookout.

I appreciate the help. Just send mr Harris the pics and let us all know the answer. I’m definitely curious or would not have posted it, I just don’t have a lot of spare time right now..and I hate emailing...

Back
Top Bottom