"Reputation" Poll

Should we keep the Reputation System?

• Yes, I find it very useful

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • No, I don't think we really need it

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Keep it, but turn off the negative feedback.

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
Everyone should be aware by now of the Reputation System put in place, and I have had several members PM me that they like the system. But there are others who feel we don't need it for our forum.

So, here's a Poll to decide if we should keep it, or turn it off.

The Poll will close after 100 members vote.

Feel free to add comments for the Pros and Cons of having "Reputation."

Pros - Lets people know who to listen to I suppose. Though everyones advice is valid really. Helpful when posting in the classifieds section definitely.

Cons - Is an automatic divider of sorts. Is the advice of a guy with 100 rep worth more than a guy with 2 rep?

I put the third choice.

Negative feedback doesn't seem like it has a place on a friendly forum .... but the rep is a nice feature to distinguish people who really chime in an make this place special

I think we should keep it but turn off the negative feedback. It doesn't take much to upset some folks enough to unfairly leave other members bad feedback. You could keep it as an option for Admins etc.

The (former) owners of Dodge Forum tried this a few years back and it fell flat. Several members began sending angry PMs/emails to each other and in a few cases, threats were made. The only thing left today is the ability to rate a post (nobody does it) and the ability to report an infraction (which is done by the mods to the admin via the "moderator's room"). Regular member's don't have access to the moderator's room.
If a person insists on being a pain, he/she is put on a temporary leave of absence.

Dusty

I noticed the no's went from 4 to 12 in a matter of a few minutes. I was on this thread about 5 minutes ago and there were 4 yes'es and 4 no's .

Now there are 12 no's.

I think someone is rigging the vote.

I like the Idea of Rep power, and could become useful in the classified section.

If someone gets abusive with it, then remove it from that one person, don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch.

I think some form of feedback is fantastic for the classifieds section but on the forum as a whole it probably isn't necessary as people's posts speak for themselves. A proven track record for positive transactions is nice to have though.

Carol I voted to turn it off. I think that these forums have been a huge success just like you guys put it together. I will say though, that the introduction of the rep idea made me think that I should stick more closely to the the posts and posters that are friendly and about metal detecting and not allowing myself to participate in something other than that just to hear my self give an opinion that has nothing to do with the hobby. The rep idea was kinda good in that it really acts like an automated staff of admins and moderators. People will naturally couch their words in an effort to be liked rather than just talking about metal detecting as the real people they are. Without the rep thing there will most likely be a little more language issues, some hot heads arguing, and some mean people that are just trying to make trouble. But, in the past you and your team have done such a great job of taking care of those problems. I just don't think we need "Rep". I am all about trying new things and improvement but in my opinion the success of Friendly speaks for itself and this rep thing would detract from it. Sorry so long but you asked:D Thanks for reading.

Sonny

Rep can be manipulated for good or bad.

I think any negative feedback posted to a profile could also cause problems for the admins/mod.

It is easy enough to get someone to vouch for you if you are new.

I was never at Findmall and had to get someone here to say I was "ok" and that is all it took to get in touch with the member there that I bought the Sov from.

I deal with individuals, not their "rep" and I can tell from searching if they are gold or iron without a "meter" ;)

We don't need "Rep".. I can take it or leave it.

That's be a "no" from me. I don't want people to be judged by some silly number next to their name. I'd hate for someone to come to the forum and think one member better than another or their opinion more or less valid based on this system. Make good posts, stay on topic, be nice - and people will recognize and respect you for it. I judge by the person and by the post, and would expect to be treated the same way. This system doesn't really add that much (except in the classifieds as stated), but it has the potential to create a negative atmosphere in my opinion. And as stated before me, the Friendly was the best forum on the web before this system, and if it ain't broke...

I noticed the no's went from 4 to 12 in a matter of a few minutes. I was on this thread about 5 minutes ago and there were 4 yes'es and 4 no's .

Now there are 12 no's.

I think someone is rigging the vote.

I like the Idea of Rep power, and could become useful in the classified section.

If someone gets abusive with it, then remove it from that one person, don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch.

I can't believe you posted this.... how was it rigged? you watch too much TV :lol:

I'm with Toast, I feel since this is called the friendly detector forum, why put labels on people. Someone who is on alot and is helpful but doesn't have the "reputation" someone else has may be made to feel uncomfortable here. It was a good thought, but it may just become a popularity contest which acts as a divider between people. Not sure if that sounds right but thats my 2 zincolns.

Based on

I'm with Toast, I feel since this is called the friendly detector forum, why put labels on people. Someone who is on alot and is helpful but doesn't have the "reputation" someone else has may be made to feel uncomfortable here. It was a good thought, but it may just become a popularity contest which acts as a divider between people. Not sure if that sounds right but thats my 2 zincolns.

Maybe reputation should only be based on how friendly the post is!
e.g. He pointed out all my failings and told me to get of the internet, but he gets a thumbs up for telling me to 'have a nice day'!

Maybe reputation should only be based on how friendly the post is!
e.g. He pointed out all my failings and told me to get of the internet, but he gets a thumbs up for telling me to 'have a nice day'!

That is a ridiculous and STUPID idea, but thank you very much for sharing it, and I wish you luck in all your future endeavors, good sir.

(ps, not being unfriendly, just a bit of lighthearted tomfoolery. don't go crazy with the banhammer on me, LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom