old eagle military button

HannibalNectar

Elite Member
This button is almost the size of a quarter. I haven't cleaned the back yet but was wondering if anyone could tell me an age or date it was in service.
Im pretty sure its navy? Shield And anchor

Attachments

• 20180918_174634-1-1.jpg
    20180918_174634-1-1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 289
This button is almost the size of a quarter. I haven't cleaned the back yet but was wondering if anyone could tell me an age or date it was in service.

Im pretty sure its navy? Shield And anchor

Got a pic of the back? I’m not too knowledgeable about buttons but that looks like what I’ve seen listed as a civil war button multiple times. Awesome find :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a pic of the back? I’m not too knowledgeable about buttons but that looks like what I’ve seen listed as a civil war button multiple times. Awesome find :)

Maybe I was wrong.
a3db2b20bdcd87223482955b32f18265.png

Ya its a one piece flat button. So im thinking definitely older than civil war.

Prior to 1830 is pretty cool

Thnx

Np. Looks like from what google tells me it could be war of 1812. What city / state was it dug in?

York Maine is where I found it.

War of 1812 thats really cool. Ill have to clean it up and get a pic of the backmark.

Battle of Hampden took place in Maine. What an awesome find if that’s what it is indeed, congratulations!!

Be careful....
It may be an 1808-1830 item which was in use during the war of 1812 but is not necessarily the item you found was in use during the war or lost during the war or even there was any war action where you found it.

I have a regulation 1808 should belt plate found very, very far from any War of 1812 action. This plate was in use by the army from 1809 until around 1840 so could have been in the War of 1812 or not in use until after.
Conclusion is this plate was brought home by a solder and was then 'lost' at his home or was passed down and lost at a much later time.

Buttons do fall off so could have been lost when the sailor was home or traveling. Or lost many years after he left the service if he keep his coat.

That is a great button of historical significance. However, may not have see War of 1812 action or lost near any action. I would agree with 'War of 1812' era button.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom