Strange Pull Tab

pballwiz

Never dug one without a rivet or pivot point in middle.
Any ideas as to what this is from?
Found in area with lots of targets from 50's and 60's.
Quarter for size reference.

Attachments

• strangepulltab.jpg
    strangepulltab.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 248
It sort of does but it doesn't have those little metal teeth.
Definitely a pull of some kind. Has textured grip on the "pull" end.

Looks like an old oil can tab imho.

Edited to add... maybe an old Ajax can?

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Last edited:
It does remind me of an oil can pull tab. A lot of fuel additives have pull tabs like that too.

I collect beer cans and agree the one piece design is quite unusual . I will try sharing the pic to a beer can forum soon.

It's an earlier style of pulltab, used from circa 1963-66 on soda, beer, auto additives, etc. As others stated there was a larger sized tab for larger cans too. These wavy tabs were replaced with the circle tabs (see pic below) but both types usually snapped off in the narrow middle part when opening the cans and people frequently got cut on them. This pic came from "The Beer Can Collector's Bible" book by Jack Martells.

Attachments

• 60s pulltab.jpg
    60s pulltab.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 125
It's an earlier style of pulltab, used from circa 1963-66 on soda, beer, auto additives, etc. As others stated there was a larger sized tab for larger cans too. These wavy tabs were replaced with the circle tabs (see pic below) but both types usually snapped off in the narrow middle part when opening the cans and people frequently got cut on them. This pic came from "The Beer Can Collector's Bible" book by Jack Martells.

Looks like we have a winner. Nice ID.

Usually called a juice tab even though it was used on pop and beer cans too. I could only find pix of the ring style when I image searched... Good work!

Any time you dig one of the pre ring tabs you are in the silver coin era. They started in 1962 and lasted a couple of years, maybe three at the most i think.

Thanks for the ID. First one of these I have ever found.
Even though it's trash, I will be keeping it!

Back
Top Bottom