Removable non metallc handle rig for cheap Ebay sand scoop.

dgerst

I don't beach detect much but there are a few lakes near me. Still, I like the idea of not bending over each time to scoop. I did a little scrounging and noticed the female end of a stick of 1" PVC slips right over the handle tightly. So I bought three elbows and two tees. I marked one tee and cut it with a Dremel to slide over the front lip.I glued everything together except the section you see. Removes quickly and holds tight.
Scoop1.jpg

Scoop2.jpg

scoop3.jpg

Last edited:
I figured it wouldn't last forever. But the scoops are less than ten bucks and the handle actually holds it securely at two points unlike my hand. I use my foot to push it in from the back. I don't expect the PVC will break. 1" is pretty strong. We'll see how long it holds up with my limited use.

Looks like a great idea, hopefully it'll last long enough for a fat gold ring to pay for a nice stainless scoop..

<°)))>{

I figured it wouldn't last forever. But the scoops are less than ten bucks and the handle actually holds it securely at two points unlike my hand. I use my foot to push it in from the back. I don't expect the PVC will break. 1" is pretty strong. We'll see how long it holds up with my limited use.

Nice work! I like the design!

I've used 1" PVC as a travel scoop handle. Surprising how strong schedule 40 really is!

As long as the sand isn't too packed or wet, this should do you just fine. Eventually, though, I'd recommend you take the proceeds from your finds and buy a decent, commercial scoop. You will be glad that you did.

I took it out tonight. The sand is pretty thick and muddy around here but it worked quite well. In the deeper water I'd just slide it down the rod, and push it in with my foot right next to the coil from the side. Usually got the target the first try. It's nice having it all non-metallic. I can check the scoop or the hole with the coil. Looks like it'll hold up as long as I'm reasonably careful with it. Sure beats reaching by hand. By the way, the MMK is a darn nice freshwater beach machine. You should have heard it scream on that tiny piece of wire.
beach1.jpeg

beach2.jpg

Sweet, Im glad it worked for you. Im always impressed with what someone can make from some simple items.
As the others have said, it may not last long but I like the idea of a non-metallic scoop. I wish there was some sturdy enough to compete with these stainless steel ones.

Glue a 3/4" tube inside the 1" tube for added strength. You may have to shop around to find a mate-able set of 1" and 3/4". My coin dredge handle uses sleeved PVC, but I couldnt find any that fit so I hand filed/sanded a PVC stick until it could fit into the 1". PIA but its WAY stronger with 2 layers glued together.

From memory, the handle on those scoops are a weak point, they’re not a part of the scoop mold, it’s a separate piece that flex’s with weight in it. However, I’ve used this scoop (without your handle) very successfully on dry sand.

You have to start somewhere. By using it you will discover any weak points and get ideas for improvenents. I enjoy making my own tools. It saves money and are often better suited for my own needs that some store bought item.

Back
Top Bottom