New MAKRO Pointer

Seaking406

Elite Member
While waiting for my Carrott to be repaired and shipped back to me, I purchased a Makro Pointer and took it out for a spin today.

And dang, this thing works nice. Quite different that the Garrett Pro pointer AT, it does the same job but with a different feel to it. I will still be using the Carrott from time to time as I do feel it's a tad more sensitive to locating targets in the sod that the Makro is, but time will tell with more practice and experience.

Some observations, my opinions, your mileage may vary greatly:
Both are great units, I'm not sure if one has a better technology than the other but it's how they function is where the difference is. The Carrott has the one button on/off and to change the sensitivity settings that many new users find confusing. The Makro makes this easier with two buttons; green button turns it on and off, green increases the sensitivity while the red will decrease it.. You can turn the vibration off as well so it's only beeping (saves battery power?) The red button also turns the LED light on/off as well. very easy to use buttons once you figure it out and remember how they work.

Some of the "cons" I have read about the Makro didn't seem to apply in the real world setting. One of the major complaints was that it took a bit of time for it to 'energize' and be ready to use once you pressed the Green button to turn it on.. Yes this is true. But in real world practice, when you pull it out of it's holster and turn it on, it's fully energized by the time you get it pointed into the hole.. so that delay is not a problem.. really!

With all the extras you get for the price; a nice carry case that you can use to carry all your batteries, small tools and notebooks, two extra pointer covers, belt holster, this pin pointer package hits all the marks for me thus far.

I took it out for a couple of hours after supper in the baseball diamond outfield again to see how it would work in that strange soil (rolled sod on top of crushed rock) and it seems to work just as well as the Garrett, does the same job. Sensitivity? hard to tell until I have my Carrott back and be able to do a side to side comparison.

So far so good, the Makro turned out to be a good purchase for my needs, covers all the bases plus more.

Before you ask, why need two pin pointers? I have a lot of friends and family who ask for me to take them out dirt fishing and while they use my fun Garrett 250 with the 4" Sniper coil, I'm using my Nox 600.. But it does get annoying after a while having to pin point their holes to find the coins ;) Now they can have their own =)

Fun in the dirt!

While waiting for my Carrott to be repaired and shipped back to me, I purchased a Makro Pointer and took it out for a spin today.

And dang, this thing works nice. Quite different that the Garrett Pro pointer AT, it does the same job but with a different feel to it. I will still be using the Carrott from time to time as I do feel it's a tad more sensitive to locating targets in the sod that the Makro is, but time will tell with more practice and experience.

Some observations, my opinions, your mileage may vary greatly:
Both are great units, I'm not sure if one has a better technology than the other but it's how they function is where the difference is. The Carrott has the one button on/off and to change the sensitivity settings that many new users find confusing. The Makro makes this easier with two buttons; green button turns it on and off, green increases the sensitivity while the red will decrease it.. You can turn the vibration off as well so it's only beeping (saves battery power?) The red button also turns the LED light on/off as well. very easy to use buttons once you figure it out and remember how they work.

Some of the "cons" I have read about the Makro didn't seem to apply in the real world setting. One of the major complaints was that it took a bit of time for it to 'energize' and be ready to use once you pressed the Green button to turn it on.. Yes this is true. But in real world practice, when you pull it out of it's holster and turn it on, it's fully energized by the time you get it pointed into the hole.. so that delay is not a problem.. really!

With all the extras you get for the price; a nice carry case that you can use to carry all your batteries, small tools and notebooks, two extra pointer covers, belt holster, this pin pointer package hits all the marks for me thus far.

I took it out for a couple of hours after supper in the baseball diamond outfield again to see how it would work in that strange soil (rolled sod on top of crushed rock) and it seems to work just as well as the Garrett, does the same job. Sensitivity? hard to tell until I have my Carrott back and be able to do a side to side comparison.

So far so good, the Makro turned out to be a good purchase for my needs, covers all the bases plus more.

Before you ask, why need two pin pointers? I have a lot of friends and family who ask for me to take them out dirt fishing and while they use my fun Garrett 250 with the 4" Sniper coil, I'm using my Nox 600.. But it does get annoying after a while having to pin point their holes to find the coins ;) Now they can have their own =)

Fun in the dirt!

Nice little mini review.
I have one.
I don’t use much.
I keep using my Garrett pro pointer trying to kill it. It just won’t die.
If it does I have he Makro backup. Have a TRX white’s too.

How do you like the White's TRX compared to the Garrett Pro Pointer AT?

I received notification tonight that my repaired / replacement Carrott is making it's journey back to me.. should be here next week.. then I can compare and decide which one will come out with me as the "go to" pointer ;)

How do you like the White's TRX compared to the Garrett Pro Pointer AT?

I received notification tonight that my repaired / replacement Carrott is making it's journey back to me.. should be here next week.. then I can compare and decide which one will come out with me as the "go to" pointer ;)

I like the Propointer better overall for price paid.
Had Propointer since late 2011.

The TRX is deep when set up right. Does have a dead spot on side though.
Biggest complaint is volume. Wearing full headphones hard for me to hear.
I use occasionally when I suspect my battery is getting low in Propointer.

Another observation about the Makro pin pointer after being at the beach this morning. It works great, though I "feel" it's not as sensitive as the Carrott though but that also made it a lot easier to pin point to the object. The tip needs to be closer to the target than the Carrott's.

I "feel" that the Carrott is quicker to detect than the Makro.. meaning that when I drag the tip through the sand and the Makro sings out, I've already gone past the coin, for example, needing to go back and forth much slower than with ther Carrott.. Its just a different technique to use it properly, is all.. But it does work well!

Another little thing I noticed is that the speaker is at the top of the unit where the buttons are located, and the way that I hold it, my palm basically covers that area so the sound is weak. Not bad if in the park but with the waves up, it might be a little harder to hear.. I'll have to turn on the vibes next time to be sure..

Hoping to get out to the parks tonight and have a go again.

Still, overall, not a bad purchase, especially when you look at all the extras you get with it..

Cheers

Seaking406 said:
Another little thing I noticed is that the speaker is at the top of the unit where the buttons are located, and the way that I hold it, my palm basically covers that area so the sound is weak. .... I'll have to turn on the vibes next time to be sure.
Most of the time I can isolate a target with my detector/coil combination, and I did that for decades before I added a hand-held Pinpointer to my gear belt. But there are times I use a Pinpointer and more often than not 'depth' isn't a main factor. Yes, it can be sometimes, but most quality pinpointers are ± a practical depth.

Sometimes I watch people when making target recoveries and note how they hold their pinpointing device, and the majority seem to hold it more like I do and that is grasping the body of the unit. The Makro Pointer, which is my most used device, has the speaker on the butt end and that makes it easier for me to hear and less likely to be covered by fingers or hand.

I have owned a number of hand-held pointers and found some too 'busy' while trying to go through various steps to adjust sensitivity and other settings. The TRX is one example. The Garrett pinpointers were the ones I experienced the most failures with, and I pamper all my detectors and gear.

My Makro Pointer is always on my gear belt. I also use the Nokta RS (Right Spot) pinpointer I have as a 'quick-grab' when I jump out to check and area and also as a loaner unit. Both work well and without failure and provide 'comparable' in-the-field performance.

There are some situations where I might need some additional detection depth and for that I use my 3rd pinpointer, which is the Detector Pro Uniprobe headphone/pulse pinpointer combination.

But the most used is the durable and waterproof Makro Pointer that I can operate with both speaker and vibrate simultaneously.

Monte

I really like my Makro, I had used the Carrots exclusively before acquiring a new Makro and TRX off of another forum’s classifieds. I liked the Makro so much that I sold the TRX and haven’t looked back. I didn’t think I would like the location of the controls as compared to the Garrett but it wasn’t a big deal. I like the tip covers with the scraper edge; the tip of the Makro still looks like new and I have to say that this Makro has not had any falsing issues at all. :D

Sensitivity comparison: I just picked up my new Carrott from the post office and a new set of batteries.. Just for a lark, I pointed both to my jaw where I have a lot of metal wires, plates and screws, and only the Carrott picked them up... The Makro didn't.. Interesting..

Yes, it is interesting going to the airport....

I really never saw a difference in sensitivity between the Carrot and my current Makro in the field. Like anything, I am sure other users of these pinpointers have seen different results. I obviously can only speak from my experience. Just the tip covers and non falsing of the Makro make it a better value in my opinion.:yes:

ZR2guy; said:
I obviously can only speak from my experience. Just the tip covers and non falsing of the Makro make it a better value in my opinion.:yes:
I've been using my Makro Pointer for 3¾ years without a single problem. Tip covers, rear-facing speaker, easy-access adjustment design and never any falsing issues, as you described, are some of why I like this device. I have had other brands, from White's, Garrett, FTP and others, that either didn't perform well, lacked comfort and convenience, and many of them failed.

My Makro Pointer, and Nokta RS Pointer, work fine and are reliable.

Monte

I am about to Toss my Carrot into a Sewer. The thing is always acting up either doesn't beep or vibrate at all or just doesn't pick up !!!!.
I have to reset it every time I go to use it and of course test it against my digger before I even try.. and yes fresh batteries and all.

I know I have to send it in but I don't want to be without a pointer for even a single hunt.

I will have to take a look at this one for either a back up or maybe even as a replacement.

thanks for the review

I love the depth of the TRX. Easy to pinpoint shallow coins. Easy to find deep targets. No falsing. Everyone has their favorite.

The worse thing about the makro pinpointer is the position of the on/off switch. They couldn't have put it in a more awkward spot. Especially when you are wearing gloves.

The worse thing about the makro pinpointer is the position of the on/off switch. They couldn't have put it in a more awkward spot. Especially when you are wearing gloves.

That was my initial concern when i purchased the Makro but in hindsight the on/off switch is out of the way while probing a hole and can’t be accidentally pushed while searching through dirt/mud. I have seen this happen in a lot of videos.

Back
Top Bottom