Does THIS Count....

Chipk

Elite Member
Does THIS Count As A Return??

As many of us know when somebody asks us to look for a lost item and they say “I lost it HERE!” that often means “I realized I lost it HERE!”

Last year right before Christmas I had 4 requests to find lost items. 3 of the 4 claimed to have lost a ring in their front yards and the 4th, a teacher, said she lost her ring in the schoolyard.

I spent at least 3 hours searching the front yards for the first 3 with no success. I called each and offered to search their backyards when they admitted they had found their rings. One was found when they changed the sheets on the bed, another was in their sock drawer and the third was in the Boy friend’s car.

The teacher left the country for the holidays and I made 6 trips to the school to search including Christmas Eve. I called her when her holiday was over to learn a student found it in her candy dish on her desk.

Well yesterday I was called to find a gold bracelet. The lady was 100% certain she lost it in her backyard during 2 days of yardwork. After 4 hours I assured her it was not in her yard. I had loaned her 2 pinpointers so she and the husband could search the couch cushions, inside the car, etc. NO luck.

She was sad but I kept saying I believed it would show up somewhere inside. She didn’t seem convinced.

Today I received a voicemail from her. They have a ROOMBA and it was running under the bed when it sounded a little strange. She emptied it into the trash and started to walk away when she remembered my words.

And there it was.

She was extremely happy and thanked me profusely. I was glad for her but still wished I can found it in the yard

Does it count? It would be #21.

Naw.

... Does it count? It would be #21.....

We bestow on you that ... yes ... it counts. :laughing: You therefore get an "atteboy" for another Sherlock Holmes who-dunnit mystery solved by an md'r.

Fun post. And yes, it's an oft-repeated tale in our lost & found posse hunts, isn't it ? The person is certain they lost it @ such & such place. But reality is, sometimes they simply don't know. Unless they saw if fly off their finger when tossing a frisbee. Or stuck it in their shoe for "safekeeping" before going in for a swim, I sometimes also have suspicions that people are just guessing.

You're right that sometimes they look down at their finger at some point in the day, see that their ring is missing, and merely assume it happened during yard work, or when they took it off to wash their hands, etc...

I've had more than a few of those. I've decided this year, I'm going to start charging a fixed fee to look for strangers' "lost items".

Spending 2-4 hours to "find" their item, that they misplaced in their bedroom, irks me.

If they're unwilling to pay $20, they're not that interested in finding the object.

Skippy

Most people have no idea of where they lost something. I had a friend who thought he lost a ring in his front yard. He searched it, the backyard and his house and car with no luck. He finally found it across town in rental property that he owned.

Back
Top Bottom