Getting snarky with the inquiries.

WOW! Btw where do i find their videos? ;)

Would be pretty funny to see. I've found 1. Big white guy in rubber boots with a sour look on his face.
Now I turn sideways and hide the scoop and detector behind me. As they do the circle around me talking to their phone I turn with them.
The fact that I dont want to be in their video comes 2nd to maybe just maybe someone online or friends circle will think they are cool

I’m on the clock and can’t talk

I work for the police department and am searching for evidence. All pending cases cannot be discussed.

My stock reply to snotty teens who ask me if I'm looking for buried treasure: "No, I'm looking for the house key your mom gave me last night!" Shuts them up every time!

Interesting post and responses. When people approach I always take a minute or two to chat. It's an opportunity to promote the hobby and/or crack some jokes. Even when the kids follow me around it's fun for them to help with the dig and see the shock in their eyes when you find "treasure". If I find something cool I have no problem showing what I found, or when I show them nails/pins it makes them appreciate you more. I think the worst we can do is give people the cold shoulder.

I figure we can all give a minute or2

Interesting post and responses. When people approach I always take a minute or two to chat. It's an opportunity to promote the hobby and/or crack some jokes. Even when the kids follow me around it's fun for them to help with the dig and see the shock in their eyes when you find "treasure". If I find something cool I have no problem showing what I found, or when I show them nails/pins it makes them appreciate you more. I think the worst we can do is give people the cold shoulder.
We were all new at this at some point, some thing or some one gave us the desire to try it. If nothing else give them this form address . I have give away lots of hot wheels and found toys to kids and it made their day.

We were all new at this at some point, some thing or some one gave us the desire to try it. If nothing else give them this form address . I have give away lots of hot wheels and found toys to kids and it made their day.

I agree it is best to be friendly so the public has a positive view of detectorists, and personally I like to talk to people, but my T-shirt idea in the second post was just an idea to help those who are not much for talking and simply prefer not to be bothered while detecting, (and that is their right) at least that way those people who would want to ask them questions know what web site to go to to ask all the questions they want :lol:

My stock reply to snotty teens who ask me if I'm looking for buried treasure: "No, I'm looking for the house key your mom gave me last night!" Shuts them up every time!

Love your answer...…..similar to one I gave a guy who approached me and asked if I was searching for money for my next meal. I told him that I was looking for the key to his wife's bedroom that I lost.

Yup, that's why I love hunting at night, rarely get people walking up to me during night time. During the day your guaranteed to get the usual redundant questions, Though its really annoying I always try to be friendly, unless i'm being trolled, then I hit the ignore button in my head and continue on my business. Anyone asking what I usually find I always just say coins and trash, I never show off good finds. I don't mind when dogs approach me though, love dogs.

I know what you're saying. I had a little old lady follow me around for 15 plus minutes jibber jabbering about whatever tickled her thinning grey hair. I'm walking, swinging, and listening for good signals as she talked and talked. I gave the courteous "yep" and "really" when I thought appropriate, but all I wanted was for her to go away. I felt kinda bad, odds are she just wanted a little company. And all I wanted was a little gold, and she was getting in the way of that...

Like most I get asked “what’s the best thing you’ve ever found”
And I respond “my wife”

Then they ask “what’s the most expensive thing you’ve ever found”? And I respond with the same answer then move on

Yup, that's why I love hunting at night, rarely get people walking up to me during night time. During the day your guaranteed to get the usual redundant questions, Though its really annoying I always try to be friendly, unless i'm being trolled, then I hit the ignore button in my head and continue on my business. Anyone asking what I usually find I always just say coins and trash, I never show off good finds. I don't mind when dogs approach me though, love dogs.

I don't show good finds either.
One time I was locked on a target and a guy and his nosy girlfriend start chatting me up. She gives me the 'ol "maybe I should get a detector" line/bluff. Blah, blah, blah
As soon as they walk away, I look down and realize I almost forgot my target in my partially dug hole.
I didn't dig it in front of them because it was a sweet bleeepity 5 on the Nox. Sure enough it was a 14k pendant.

Guess it depends on my mood at the time, and to be honest, my first impression of the person asking. I was hunting a park and had some old jerk following me on a golf cart. He wAs watching and talking to someone on his phone (popo?) but finally left. Later a guy playing with his little girl came and started asking questions. I’m sorry to say I wasn’t too helpful. I keep hoping to run into them again so i can help him, maybe even lend him a detector to try.

I usually don't mind a little small talk if someone seems genuinely interested. It is really predicated on my mood honestly. Pretty easy to tell if someone is curious or just wants to bust your balls.

"Can I help you?" Always = "What do you think you're doing?"

Most of the time if someone approaches me on a curbstrip and I can tell they are less than amused with me being there, I will just move on.

I will admit to exchanging snarky remarks. It does no good, but I've I've been guilty of it.

I was recently detecting a park that I have searched numerous times. I guy was watching me from his car and got out and approached me with... "What are you doing?" It was in an unfriendly tone. I responded with... "Just minding my own business. How about you?"

I just tell people I am exercising and cleaning the beach of trash.
Sometimes I show them the trash. After that they normally go away.

Unless it's a hot beach bunny; then I turn on the charm. :laughing:

You would absolutely go nuts detecting where I am in Asia. Nuts. Bonkers.
Not only do I get the questions but they do it holding up their cellphone.. then upload the video to their blog or qq or whatever it is. The more I say don't video me = the more they do it.. purposely to tick me off. Also they will stand right beside a hole I'm digging. Then grab whatever it is I just dug up. Lightning fast.
I've considered to start carrying a water gun with me are wearing a shirt with some writing or photos on it
Also after the videos get uploaded the next day I'm surrounded by "professional finders" aka "no jobs". I won't even post finds now because of this

You got that right about Asia. I live in the Philippines during the winter.
I got tired a long time ago with them falling me. Trying to dig my holes, grab what I find and even sticking their hands in my pockets to grab what they can. I think this year when we go back to the states, I am taking my detector back home.. KEN. :p

Back
Top Bottom