Cleaning Tax Receipt Token

BaileyLBC

Hi all,

Found a first today, a Missouri state sales tax token, wanted to gather up a suggestion or two on cleaning this guy. Considering composition is zinc it did come out fantastic, would like to buff it up a bit more before chucking it in the collection.

Any direction is appreciated! Heres a photo so you can see what Im working with

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG-5089.jpg
    IMG-5089.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
I like the look of it just as it is! I've found that with most things I've tried to clean, I end up wishing I could return them to what they looked like pre-cleaning. With exception of the war nickel that I had to hit with a hammer. Glad I cleaned that one.

I like the look of it just as it is! I've found that with most things I've tried to clean, I end up wishing I could return them to what they looked like pre-cleaning. With exception of the war nickel that I had to hit with a hammer. Glad I cleaned that one.

if i wanted to live it i wouldnt have posted :D

I think you do need to treat it with something to stop the corrosion. Those bubbles in the zinc will continue to grow larger and finally eat up the token.

I have been told that Lysol toilet bowl cleaner will do that, but have never tried it myself.
The treatment is to place zinc items in cleaner and shake them around for a few seconds,
then rinse them and tumble with gravel and dish soap for an hour. I would research it more before trying it on an old item.

good luck :thumbsup:

Zinc u can clean with lemon acid. (The ones from the groceryshop to cook with).

Pure, or leaned with some water.

Just submerge the coin or object for a few minutes and brush it with a toothbrush.

Warning:
This will consume the bad parts of the object. Make sure it isn't "rotten".
I've included some Dutch zinc ww2 money as an example.

6e30cb67539fb7530f220ce771bcb625.jpg

c6ab2a97c2471f6471277b21554cab95.jpg

af13781c2ac1d592802d4e6dc038ab3f.jpg

1bcfb324aa6e72942335fd1e1cd85877.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

Found a first today, a Missouri state sales tax token, wanted to gather up a suggestion or two on cleaning this guy. Considering composition is zinc it did come out fantastic, would like to buff it up a bit more before chucking it in the collection.

Any direction is appreciated! Heres a photo so you can see what Im working with

Thanks in advance

I had a Missouri tax token like that and tried to clean it up some.... unfortunately all the rough aluminum is pitting. Once you clean it it will be full of pits and you will loose lots of details. Leave it the way it is. Wish I would have with mine because I can’t even tell what it is anymore.

Unless you are sure it doesn't have collector value, I wouldn't clean it at all other than soap and water and drying well.

I found two of these in my yard this week. Yours looks to be in better condition. Did you have any luck with cleaning?

Attachments

• 20171208_053228.jpg
    20171208_053228.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 314
Back
Top Bottom