Any idea on this piece of brass?

planerie

Elite Member
This was found Sunday at an old plantation site. Its very heavy and looks to have a small hole that goes through it. Let me know what you guys think.

Not sure but my guess is some kind of shaft or crank, the spiraled groove design was to keep it turning or to turn a grooved non-spiral wheel or shaft next to it.

Looks like an adjustable leg or something.. The corse threads look similar to a vice IMO.. Spray valve?

<°)))>{

Attachments

• stem.jpg
    stem.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 554
Maybe some kind of adjustable spray nozzle part? Faucet stem is also a good guess.

Don't see how it would be a faucet stem-
In the first picture-
The rounded over end on top doesn't have the ability to hold either a handle or a washer.

Is this piece brass for sure? Doesn't seem to have brass patina in the pictures.

Don't see how it would be a faucet stem-
In the first picture-
The rounded over end on top doesn't have the ability to hold either a handle or a washer.

Is this piece brass for sure? Doesn't seem to have brass patina in the pictures.

<<<Deleted by Admin>>>

The taunting rejoinders end here and now, or ...

Last edited by a moderator:
It does appear that the end opposite of the rounded end is broken. Maybe the splines for a knob were there but have broken off. Is that a hole in the center of the rounded end? If so, is it threaded? Water valve stems use a screw to hold the rubber washer on.

I'm thinking the seat would actually be the top side of the lip on the bottom and the stem would pull up to stop the flow. This would be a course valve like used on a farm pump or such.

Cliff

I'm thinking the seat would actually be the top side of the lip on the bottom and the stem would pull up to stop the flow. This would be a course valve like used on a farm pump or such.

Cliff

I would have to agree. This was found on a plantation site that was around for almost 150 years starting back in the late 1700's.

Back
Top Bottom