etrac-Can you tell a nickel from a pull tab

Seems to me mine read double nickles (55) and 80% of the time is was a nickle. Just took my Etrac running TTF over trashy ground I had hit many times with my AT and was amazed at the nickles I pulled out of there.......

:dingding: :dingding: :dingding:

There's your best example of using the kind of disc an ATP (for example) uses Vs the disc of an E-Trac...

:yes:

:dingding: :dingding: :dingding:

There's your best example of using the kind of disc an ATP (for example) uses Vs the disc of an E-Trac...

:yes:

The A.S. book says that if you use no disc that you will actually miss targets. I have found this to be true. Although TTF with an open screen is very popular and easy. I find more with 4TF and some disc in trashy areas.

I have never read his book but I agree maybe for dfife rent reasons. I think most folks simply get so overwhelmed with signals and noises with no disc, you end up just passing on stuff to keep your sanity, kind of wears you down mentally.

The A.S. book says that if you use no disc that you will actually miss targets. I have found this to be true. Although TTF with an open screen is very popular and easy. I find more with 4TF and some disc in trashy areas.

May I ask what do you disc.out?

I generally disc a little iron.

Beach Pattern Nukem.jpg

I just disc out FE up to around the 27 line or so. By doing so 4TF actually becomes 3 tone since the lowest tone is disc d out. In 2TF the tone break is at the 17 line. In heavy iron or a coin just being deep can push the FE # above the 17 line therefore you do not get a good tone. That's why I prefer 4TF.

"Cherry picking has risks---always, no matter the detector used....."

Read this many times.....and then again...and again.....

I think most folks simply get so overwhelmed with signals and noises with no disc, you end up just passing on stuff to keep your sanity, kind of wears you down mentally.

I agree...but I've found good targets with junk targets because I could hear the junk and visualize that there was a good target next to the trash. Slow and wide open paints your brain the best picture but is also very taxing in trashy areas.

I agree...but I've found good targets with junk targets because I could hear the junk and visualize that there was a good target next to the trash. Slow and wide open paints your brain the best picture but is also very taxing in trashy areas.

Yes indeed, Sometimes I will run wide open and take the time to pick through everything, When one of 2 things happens I throw some disc in, #1 is am I am physically tied from getting up and down and digging, #2 is when I hit my limit of mentally working through all the trash..

I don't think you are following what I am saying. I find more targets this way. I consider TTF with an open screen cherry picking. Try this experiment. Put a dime on the floor and surround it with large nails. Use TTF with an open screen and move the nails closer until you lose the high tone. Now swap over to 4TF and disc out to the 27 line and try it again. Keep in mind that these are MY preferences. I use this in super trashy areas and it works for ME.

I just disc out FE up to around the 27 line or so. By doing so 4TF actually becomes 3 tone since the lowest tone is disc d out. In 2TF the tone break is at the 17 line. In heavy iron or a coin just being deep can push the FE # above the 17 line therefore you do not get a good tone. That's why I prefer 4TF.

:goodidea: I will have to give this a try. :cool:

I tend to go the other way. I use a very aggressive discrimination pattern in multi-tone. I've got to make my time count was the reason I started using it, but now this I've had time to go back over the same areas, using TTF and wide open pattern, and found absolutely nothing of value I had missed in the first place.

Here is the pattern I use.

E_Trac_tight_ptrn.jpg

I just skimmed through this post, so I might be wrong...but I can't believe no one mentioned sound. A nickel sounds different than a pull tab, and along with the VDI, you should know for sure. Same with gold. Start using your ears people. That's why the etrac has so many tones!

Bing!!!

I just skimmed through this post, so I might be wrong...but I can't believe no one mentioned sound. A nickel sounds different than a pull tab, and along with the VDI, you should know for sure. Same with gold. Start using your ears people. That's why the etrac has so many tones!

Good one. What screen???

I guess anyone can use anything sound wise they want to try and cherry pick nickels vs pull tabs.

But remember pull tabs come in many shapes and sizes.....even deformed.

And throw in a little depth, ground minerals, and you have some variation.

Your eyes are the true discriminator.

Btw, I am going to dig all 13 conductive signals no matter how the tone sounds.

Very True........The risk of getting some nice coins without digging a lot of junk :D

Some of us just dont always have the time or energy to do anything but cherry pick.
But whether I'm cherry picking or not cherry picking I'm still having a great time detecting!

Rand

I guess anyone can use anything sound wise they want to try and cherry pick nickels vs pull tabs.

But remember pull tabs come in many shapes and sizes.....even deformed.

And throw in a little depth, ground minerals, and you have some variation.

Your eyes are the true discriminator.

Btw, I am going to dig all 13 conductive signals no matter how the tone sounds.

might as well just swing a bounty hunter....

Nickels aren't necessarily the mine labs strong suit----too many other nonferrous close to nickel range TID, but copper/silver ----not so and this is where the mine labs show their muscle...

Many times if its a pulltab it will jump around with the vdi # and I know its a pulltab when it goes up to 55,56 for sure.
Also they have a double blip at times but if I am close to one then sometimes it can coax me to dig it.
I have noticed on the atp and my ace 250 that a ring of gold will hit nice and crisp with a steady vdi, I will say this 99% of the time.
Happy Hunting.:grin:

Same here, only on a Deus. That machine is a nickel slaying beast!

Back
Top Bottom