Texas-land owned by State, County, City, etc.

jnmtnbiker

Just looked at the Texas State Parks & Wildlife website (see link below). Now that I re-read the section labeled "Natural Resources Code" (paragraphs 191.092, 191.093, 191.131, 191.132, 191.133 & 191.171), at the following link.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/parkinfo/rules_and_regulations/
Referring to paragraph 191.092 - it is apparent that this could even be applied to any "...archeological sites of every character that are located in, on, or under the surface of any land belonging to the State of Texas or to any county, city, or political subdivision of the state are state archeological landmarks and are eligible for designation."

It sounds like ANY park and/or school yard could even be considered an archeological site - with or without a marker or visible designation.
:(
Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like:
Metal Detect at your own risk in Texas on any land where you do not have explicit permission of the land owner.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this only applies to land owned by the state, land owned by cities and counties do not fall under this rule. Private land of course does not.

Oh sorry I re-read your post and I see what you are getting at now. Sorry fighting a cold.

I think they are saying that if something of archeological significance shows up on gov (state, county, city) land then you don't get it. Coins are not considered (at least by the feds) to be archeological relics.

For such a big state Texas has a reputation for being bonkers about land rights.

For such a big state Texas has a reputation for being bonkers about land rights.

Yes our dealing with history is nuts. It is nearly impossible to protect historic buildings from getting torn down and replaced with a strip mall but god forbid you dig anything up out of the ground!!! :?:

Problem is - it is not just "archeological significance ".
"191.092 Other Sites, Artifacts, or Articles.
Sites, objects, buildings, artifacts, implements, and locations of historical, archeological, scientific, or educational interest, ..."
A teacher could say the coins are of educational interest. Hopefully it would only be things older than a certain number of years, but who knows...?

Problem is - it is not just "archeological significance ".
"191.092 Other Sites, Artifacts, or Articles.
Sites, objects, buildings, artifacts, implements, and locations of historical, archeological, scientific, or educational interest, ..."
A teacher could say the coins are of educational interest. Hopefully it would only be things older than a certain number of years, but who knows...?

I guess anything is possible but I have never heard of this getting applied to anything other than state owned land (like state parks). Just don't tell anyone and you should be fine :cool:

Just get permission! I've gotten permission from Parks Departments and School District Facilities Offices, just so that I have no issues.

Texas laws are vague to cover all bases. This is the problem with Texas as I have discussed in other areas.

Anything in the ground Texas considers it of "value". This is why beaches are risky areas to detect, but it is legal. Some beaches though not marked are considered 'state' property, regardless of whether or not your property is on it.

In other words... Tx stinks. lol

Back
Top Bottom