Need help finding gold ring

metaldetectxlt

Hello y’all,
I’m not a beginner by any means however I’m struggling to find a friends gold ring. I wear a white gold band and it reads 5 cents on my White’s detector. I figured I would easily find it however that wasn’t the case. It was only lost a couple years ago. Basically, have y’all received mixed signals with different carrot rings?

Are both their ring and yours solid bands, and one of them not a braided type? Also, are both rings generally the same size/weight? Lots of things make gold rings read different. Solid versus braided or perforated fancy types. I have no experience in carat differences with ergonomically matched gold rings to answer about the carat differences.

Gold is evasive.

... Basically, have y’all received mixed signals with different carrot rings?

Yes. Gold rings can read all over the spectrum. And some can waffle between TID's ("mixed signal") if it's held and tilted at various directions.

Dainty ladies rings can read down in the foil range. Smaller men's bands can read @ anywhere from nickel to tab. And very fat and beefy men's bands can read up to even near zinc penny range.

I've found gold rings from 45-70 on the ATMax TID scale. Depends on how the ring is situated (as Tom said), if there are protrusions ( like a setting), width of the band, etc. You basically dig every solid signal...and every jumpy signal, because that ring may have other targets near it. Found my twelfth gold ring last week--10k with a peridot--and it was a jumpy 45-48.

Your going to have to dig all shallow SOLID signals. Should be relatively easy to locate, if it wasnt lost too long ago... Good luck!

Most people actually have no idea of where they lost something. I had a friend who searched his yard a number of times and finally found his ring across town at some property that he ownes.

These guys are right. It should give a relatively solid signal at a fairly shallow depth; being lost a couple years ago. It might be easier to turn your sensitivity down, so your XLT isn't blipping on everything, like an XLT does. Turn it way down to where only coins at 3 to 4 inches are read; no deeper. Then scan and dig all the solid signals you get.
Silversmith has a good point. How sure is your buddy about where the loss occurred? Has he checked the couch/recliner yet?

Everyone is right, I have never found a ring where someone said they thought they lost it.
Also I have found most rings come up at nickel range. But I have found one in foil range and it wasnt thin. Also got a 14 k mans band came in at 21 on my Equinox which is a penny.

Your going to have to dig all shallow SOLID signals. ....

... It should give a relatively solid signal ....

As I said, and as StevePcola concurred: The old addage of it being a lock-on-solid signal, for gold rings, is not necessarily accurate. It will probably be true for uniform bands that aren't too deep. But if the ring starts to have a tilt to it, then it can "bounce" (on the TID) depending on which angle of sweep over the target you are on.

And if the ring has a crown , or oblong shape (thicker on one end than the other), then it likewise might waffle on the TID, flickering between #'s, depending on the exact angle of sweep. And lastly, like coins : When/if they're on the fringe depth of detection ability, rings and any coins will be less likely to have a "solid" signal.

Since this particular objective was recently lost, then the OP can probably elect to pass "whispers", since it's probably not had time to go deep.

Like other have said the rings are never in the exact spot people give you. Make your search area bigger. Turn down sensitivity listen for the solid signals. Make sure you are not skipping a bad signal and the ring is masked by a bigger bad signal. I did a recovery in the water last year. The ring was thrown out a third story window into a lake. I kept passing a very bad signal and could not find the ring that night. I knew it had to be in the area I was checking, because the window opening was very small. I gave up that night and returned the next day. I decided to clean every signal from that area. The very bad signal is was passing turned out to be a crushed pop can and the ring was under the pop can.

More information would also help. What type of location is it lost at?

I use utility makers to grid an area on land. In water I use 4 foot snowplow stakes as markers. Slow and methodical to not miss the ring by going to fast.

Here is where gold can possibly come in on an old Whites unit and all other detectors...everything depends on many factors, size, purity, shape and masking metals in the vicinity and more.
Also your white gold ring, they mix gold with a few different metals to make that silver color so large white gold rings mixed with nickel could surrisingly come in real low like foil or small white gold rings way higher if mixed with silver so don't think YOUR ring will come in exactly like any other ring you are ever likely to find.

Attachments

• scale.jpg
    scale.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 196
Like other have said the rings are never in the exact spot people give you. Make your search area bigger. Turn down sensitivity listen for the solid signals. Make sure you are not skipping a bad signal and the ring is masked by a bigger bad signal. I did a recovery in the water last year. The ring was thrown out a third story window into a lake. I kept passing a very bad signal and could not find the ring that night. I knew it had to be in the area I was checking, because the window opening was very small. I gave up that night and returned the next day. I decided to clean every signal from that area. The very bad signal is was passing turned out to be a crushed pop can and the ring was under the pop can.

More information would also help. What type of location is it lost at?

I use utility makers to grid an area on land. In water I use 4 foot snowplow stakes as markers. Slow and methodical to not miss the ring by going to fast.

The ring was thrown out a window into a lake....and they changed their minds? :) Inquiring minds want to know

Back
Top Bottom