Which strategy is most effective?

lats

When searching a well populated beach which is also well hunted which method do you think is most effective. Zigzagging, griidding or just working the shoreline ?

Last edited:
I zig zag from the high to low tide lines most of the time. When short of time I will hit alone the high tide line and move down a rods length and come back , working down the beach, until time runs out.

I hunt with another who wanders around, and does really well. Like he has ESP or something.

It is all about reading the beach. Look for humps, scallops or any low wet spot. Some times it helps to get up high if you can and survey the area. Any changes in elevation on the wet sand is a good spot to try. If the beach is mostly flat then I work along the waters edge or knee deep.

Remember this one thing though.....gold rings can be anywhere from the dune to out in the water. There is little chance they will line up for you. It is a lot of luck. Hope you have some!

spiral ...

I got a gold coin doing this...

Hit a quarter on low tide. Started spiral and about ten feet from quarter I hit an 1898 Austrian coin. It was set as a pendant and I fbib it was a fresh drop.

@OP I would zigzag high tide to low tide until you hit a coin line. Then slow it down.

Hh gl -Joe

I got a gold coin doing this...

Hit a quarter on low tide. Started spiral and about ten feet from quarter I hit an 1898 Austrian coin. It was set as a pendant and I fbib it was a fresh drop.

@OP I would zigzag high tide to low tide until you hit a coin line. Then slow it down.

Hh gl -Joe

At my freshwater beach, all we have is a pulltab line, lol.

I hid it from the water line (whee ever that is) up the beach into the dry then back. Perpendicular to the water keeps the VLFdetectors from falling too much due to different salinity in the sands as you move back and forth allowing the auto Ground Balance to work normally

In the winter I do a wide W down the beach until I hit something heavy then spiral out from there and if I get more heavies I grid the area.

In the summer I just pick the most populated area and grid from high tide line into the water and back.

Usually from high tide to water, sometimes when I can't put in a decent amout of time I just do the drunken pirate and stumble around dragging my scoop with no set plan.

They all work. I had to drop down in a U to avoid some lady one day. When I did I dug a diamond ring:lol: One of my favorites is the Charlie Brown:laughing:

Attachments

• Charlie Brown Shirt.jpg
    Charlie Brown Shirt.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 241
All these posts are too funny. How would i look doing all at once lol

:laughing::laughing:

like read the beach and find the targets,,,,,,:yes:beaches change every day,,,,just have to keep looking around and cover as much beach as you can,,of course a little luck helps,,,,:lol:GL HH

They all work. I had to drop down in a U to avoid some lady one day. When I did I dug a diamond ring:lol: One of my favorites is the Charlie Brown:laughing:
I had something similar last year, I wanted my hunting partner at the ocean to find some good stuff so I was doing very good on the coins and junk jewelry and figured soon there had to be gold so I told him come down here into the wetsand and hunt. So we swapped out and he went low and I jumped up to the top of the towel line.. about 5 minutes later I get a nice 26 gram gold chain... almost never showed him...

I also do a "W" pattern.

Attachments

• calligraphy-letter-w.jpg
    calligraphy-letter-w.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 127
I guess it's warm enough now that I don't have to use my waders anymore...

Nothing worse then having to wade through 300' of water to reach dry land just to take a leak in a plastic box.

I am a moderately heavy coffee drinker, so some days it gets ridiculous. :lol:

For a while there, my favorite spot did not even have a green box, so I had to sit in my car and go with the door partially open, looking over my shoulder as to not get arrested. :laughing: Leaked all over my hands and the front of my waders. It's very difficult.
I just cleaned the car door today. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom