GGUW headphones for Excal II

cayo

I've never liked the stock headphones that came with my Excal II (too big for my head), but as long as I did most of my hunting on dry sand or wading with a scoop, they weren't a big problem.

But, now that snorkeling season is here, they get washed off my head with each wave AND I think there must be a short in the wire that connects the two earpieces; when I go completely underwater, the sound stops--no static, no cutting in or out--just stops. Starts up again when I surface and acts normal.

SO, Grey Ghost Underwater phones? Kellyco will charge $160 plus $75 labor PLUS shipping to Mexico which won't be cheap.

My question: If I had the right epoxy, could I change the stock ones for GG myself?

They were not loud enough for me. Right now I have them for my ctx and I have the same problem. It sounds like a mile away. It's harder to hear changes in the threshold as it is with this machine.

I would look into what mods you could do yourself or see if there isn't someone that could set you up.

Hh gl -Joe

I would suggest the GG Amphibians before the GGUW's

Very easy to do yourself... just cut the old yellows off.. take the endcap off...pull the heyco strain relief off... cut the little white two pin connector as close as possible off..... drill out the old endcap... cut off the garrett fitting.. strip the wires..think red and black...slip the heyco and the rubber gourmet off the old yellows and onto the GGA's.... slip the wire thru the endcap.... solder the white two pin onto the red and blacks... (TEST by putting the two pin connector back on the male on the board NOW) ............then.pull back thru, tighten the heyco .. and fill in the area where the two pin connector and GGA's wiring connects with epoxy... put all back together.. Sounds like a lot but very easy...

GG mod

Well, THAT'S not going to happen!!

So I'll contact Joe and see if I can buy a pair from him already modified. I think I might get my courage up to open up my machine but to do the actual re-wiring--no way.

Thanks for the comments; you guys always come through.
Cay

Unfortunately I have closed shop till Jan 2016, but I would buy them direct from Detector Pro...

Well, THAT'S not going to happen!!

So I'll contact Joe and see if I can buy a pair from him already modified. I think I might get my courage up to open up my machine but to do the actual re-wiring--no way.

Thanks for the comments; you guys always come through.
Cay

You can do it!:yes:

Joe is the man when it comes to mods. Hes done so many he can do them in his sleep. No one else has produced so many valuable vedios. The GGA will give you tge volume you are looking for. Another option is a muff upgrade.

personally, I do not the GGA,,,,,,I tried them and they leaked and failed in like 3 months,,,,,the one good thing though, is the are loud,,,I do not like the way the stock yellow HP fit, but I get by,,,,I like the tones better and they are completely waterproof,,,,,only problem I have had with them is the connection went bad at the control box,,,,,the way the pull and move around with the tall man shaft is too tight cause the cord is not long enough,,,,,,I zip tied them to the control pod so when they are pulling, they are not pulling at the connection,,,,,my FAVORITE HP are the old blues,,,,lots of cord, comfortable fit and same tones as the yellow basically,,,,,,,I have heard the underwater GG are too quiet and the GGA even after I epoxied them inside around the speakers, still failed,,,,I know they have made improvements but this was just last year when I had the problem,,,,,GL HH

Tim..... i didnt have a lot of luck with the first few pairs i had. The pair i have now work fine.... loud and great separation. Im not sure they are all created equal tone wise. The new ones seem to have been sealed better after getting away from the glues covers, but id still be hesitant to go very deep with them. Honestly, if i were going to dive or do very much snorkeling......the blues would be my choice too.

Oh, no, Joe, say it ain't so!
Are you sure you don't have a modded pair just lying around your shop you could drop in the mail to me?

personally, I do not the GGA,,,,,,I tried them and they leaked and failed in like 3 months,,,,,the one good thing though, is the are loud,,,I do not like the way the stock yellow HP fit, but I get by,,,,I like the tones better and they are completely waterproof,,,,,only problem I have had with them is the connection went bad at the control box,,,,,the way the pull and move around with the tall man shaft is too tight cause the cord is not long enough,,,,,,I zip tied them to the control pod so when they are pulling, they are not pulling at the connection,,,,,my FAVORITE HP are the old blues,,,,lots of cord, comfortable fit and same tones as the yellow basically,,,,,,,I have heard the underwater GG are too quiet and the GGA even after I epoxied them inside around the speakers, still failed,,,,I know they have made improvements but this was just last year when I had the problem,,,,,GL HH

FWIW my Excal stock phones never would stay adjusted. CTX pair does. May be all the excel ones were defective for a long run? I got used to the new yellows. Not the best. But better than the stock excel I had. Maybe made in Pakistan instead of China now? Who knows?

Are you sure you don't have a modded pair just lying around your shop you could drop in the mail to me?

I need to make a backup set for myself.. for some reason I get lazy once hunting season starts and that is all I want to do..Very Sorry..

Thanks Pilikia...
Joe, I don't say anything that isn't true. Thanks for the mod! Still loving it!!

Dude... You gotta hit Joe up when it's snowing...
Wait a few months November/December is an excellent time to start bugging Joe😄

Don't have to apologize. I just hope to be your first customer when you do set up shop again!

Happy (and safe) hunting to all.
Cay

Back
Top Bottom