Non-working Discovery 1100?

MRhoades

I am new to your form but was hoping to ask the members here for some help.  :grin:

I just bought a Discovery 1100 MD from Radio Shack. I has been working really great then I started having problems with the audio. I finaly traced the poblem to a flaky speaker that works part of the time. I replaced it with one from mr trusty electronics warehouse.

However, in my rush to assemle it, I let the front panel ribbon cable get caught between the front panel and the case stand off (where the front panel screw connects). I then stuck the front panel screw right through the flexible ribbon cable.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

So...does any members have a non-functioning Discovery 1100 that want to sell me for repair parts?

If so please send me an email: [email protected]

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE*****
Well I contacted Bounty Hunter and purchased a new front panel (flexible PCB). I soldered the new flexible PCB to the main circuit board and viola! it works again.

So...if any member wish to find out how to disassemble their BD discovery 1100, 2200 or 3300 drop me an e-mail. You have to carefully peel bck the front panel label at both sides to remove a scew and then the front panel (which also has the main circuit board attached to it) will come right out.

I am an electronics engineer that has been doing electronics for nearly 18 years...I must make the comment that although the main circuit board design appears to be of very good quality, I cannot say that the unit was assembled with adequate quality control. The whole reason I managed to break the unit in the first palce was tracking down a loos of audio output after using the M.D. for about three weeks. I eventualy traced the audio failure to a defective speaker. I also resoldered about a half dozen poorly soldered wire connections...three of these were to the detector coil. Hopefully I have not reduced the unit's accuaracy by repairing the poor solder joints.

I have used the M.D. sense I repaired it and it appears to function as good as it did when I first tested the unit out of the box. In an "all metal" mode I found an aluminum can at over 8 1/2 ".

At any rate, I am enjoying my Discovery 1100 very much!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

I havn't taken my 3300 apart YET but I used to work at an electronics company and I have seen my share of bad soldering. I got a clock radio a few weeks ago and it only worked about 2 days I picked it up and heard a noise. I took it apart and 2 resistors and a capacitor fell out. I ended up having to resolder almost 1/2 the connections.

A U.K. dealer bought a large consignment some years back and the speakers didn't work on any of them. Turned out the wires just hadn't been soldered to the speakers.
Does suggest that quality control needs sorting out.

So the label needs to be peeled back ? My freind lost the audio on his unit, and something is shaking around in there lose.
I tried prying the front section off the housing [3300], but it seemed apparent that something unseen was holding it in.

Hi friends. ;)
I need advice on how to disassemble the BH discovery 1100, where can I find the screws? Can someone please advise me or send me a photo? I didn't want to start a new thread here, so I put it here, maybe it doesn't matter.
Thank you so much for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20211104_154817.jpg
    IMG_20211104_154817.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 359
Hi friends. ;)
I need advice on how to disassemble the BH discovery 1100, where can I find the screws? Can someone please advise me or send me a photo? I didn't want to start a new thread here, so I put it here, maybe it doesn't matter.
Thank you so much for any advice.

One of the posts above mention taking the sticker off the face completely, there should be a screw under it. I would take a heat gun to it for a minute or so to help loosen the glue. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom