Question about Deus and silver

Mr. C

Hello all,

Ground finally thawed and was able to get out with my brand spankin new deus with the 9 inch coil (still running version 3.2 and waiting for my MI-6 to ship).

Two hunts at a abandoned school yard.

First trip was running deus fast. Managed 2 wheat pennies in one hole, a nickel, and a ton of tin, iron and can slaw.

Second trip I plugged in calabash's relic program with full tones. I really like the chatter and let me tell ya, this place is loaded with trash. Every swing is getting 5-10 tones. I managed 4 wheat pennies, two beer cans, less tin, and one old button with no distinguished marks.

Here is my question. I can clearly pick out the sound of a wheat penny. is silver/clad gonna sound much different? Perhaps its all been picked out, but i would think i would get something.

i guess i am questioning whether I am listening for the right sounds for silver

Thanks in advance

Hello all,

Ground finally thawed and was able to get out with my brand spankin new deus with the 9 inch coil (still running version 3.2 and waiting for my MI-6 to ship).

Two hunts at a abandoned school yard.

First trip was running deus fast. Managed 2 wheat pennies in one hole, a nickel, and a ton of tin, iron and can slaw.

Second trip I plugged in calabash's relic program with full tones. I really like the chatter and let me tell ya, this place is loaded with trash. Every swing is getting 5-10 tones. I managed 4 wheat pennies, two beer cans, less tin, and one old button with no distinguished marks.

Here is my question. I can clearly pick out the sound of a wheat penny. is silver/clad gonna sound much different? Perhaps its all been picked out, but i would think i would get something.

i guess i am questioning whether I am listening for the right sounds for silver

Thanks in advance

Alright,
What will silver sound like??
It will depend on a few things.

For super heavy mask it could read a very low midttone,,with TID even reading below disc level,,,this here I'm referring to,,probably left until a Deus user has more time under their belt.

Next, if silver is not too deep,,it will read correct VDI/TID with tone that is matched (assigned) to the tone you have programmed to the actual vdi displayed.

If silver is deeper,,,it will respond tone wise to whatever ever tone you have assigned to the 90s plus TID reading.
User might see 98 for example in the window,,,this is not a true vdi reading,,just call it a reference.

Deeper silver very likely to give just a smidge of horseshoe shading,,indicating a weaker signal (deeper target.
Now,,these kinds of singals,,,can be anything nonferrous besides silver,,,could be copper,,a nickel,,even a deep pull tab,,even deep can slaw.
Can also occassionally be a deep bent nail,,fence steeple.

All frequencies used with Deus are capable of hitting deep silver and copper,,but 12khz based on my experiences is usually the deepest on nickels.

User needs to remember a few things when looking for deep silver coins.

Depending on ground minerals,,medium mineralized ground needs a good gB,,not run at 90.

User if they depend on 12 and especially 18khz freqs,,Deus is more liables to hit deeper on smaller nonferrous things like smaller can slaw, etc,,and if deep enough,,,can throw these junk targets into the higher TID range with higher tone(if assigned to this region) to boot.

Running 8khz this tendency here not so likely to happen as much.

Users of Deus should remember how truthful the Deus is at providing vdi/TID depends on a few things,,,like ground mineral levels,,size and conductivity of target,,,frequency as it relates to target conductivity,,reactivity setting,,,higher reacivity settings like 3 plus using version 3.2 will cause Deus to drive shallower targets (nonferrous) into the high side tone wise. Silencer setting,,I recommend learning Deus with silencer always set at -1,, to get the deeper stuff.

Using version 3.2,, deep copper coins and silver,,will have a smoother lighter sounding tone,,not full fledged like mid depth copper and silver.

Audio report I highly recommend at level 5 or 6 here to give a user best chance to hear deeper targets.

Horseshoe shading will give clues along with the tone mentioned above.

Coins mixed with iron,,can report both textbook and can have slightly broken tone,,even some static.

Some folks don't believe or realize how deep the Deus can strike coins,,one of the reasons why is due to the tone and TID provided.

Using notch appropriately can help a person dissect sites with modern trash,,along with correct reactivity/freq/silencer setting,,,and appropriate coil sweep speed.

Lifting Deus coil can expose some bigger items like mediums sized can slaw,,and cans, etc.

Using mutil tone with Deus,,,my recommmendation use 3 tone,,,keep things simple,,,4 and 5 tones is way too many.

Full tones can be used in trashy sites,,,some notch appropriately placed can help,,,nickels here though can be missed.

Couple little tricks/tips here when hunting trashy sites.
Horseshoe meter,,,does it agree with tone strength provided???
Is it strong tone,,with a lot of horseshoe shaded,,,this would indicate better chance of true vdi on target reported.

On targets where horseshoe indicates mid depth and slightly deeper in trashy sites,,,how good and consistent is the tone,,,what happens to signal as you walk around it,,TID too,,how steady.
Any iron tone being reported trying to roll in real quick??

You see your real job in trashy sites,,is to determine how truthful Deus is being to you.

If you think it is lying to you,,good target to dig if mid depths.

If you think Deus is telling the truth,,but the vdi reported doesn't match most coin ID,,pass on it.

Now user trying to mange to find gold jewelry,,,you are SOL here,,,just like you would be using any other detector,,,except,,Deus is capable of alerting on smaller gold coins and jewelry deeper than a lot of detectors out there.

Users of Deus can pull deep coins without hearing tones on a lot of shallow and mid depths junk targets running high notch,,,I actually recommend this to new users of Deus.
Users need to familiarize themselves using the expert tab under notch to apply.
For example,,user can select 12khz and a notch setting of 0-72,, and have a quieterer hunt,,yet can still hit some deeper finds,,even deep nickels.

Not to insult anyone's intelligence here.
Good Deus user,,needs to develop a regiment for checking targets.
Like first is size,,is target too big to be coin??? If yes move one.

Is tone provided strength wise congruent to horse shoe shading.
How smooth is tone,,,how does the meter respond when sweeping and walking COMPLETELY around target,,,does target have tendency to rise and stay pretty steady.
Deus user needs to be ablel to also recognize mid conductive targets,,some of these very good finds.
Deus user can change reactivity up or down to check a target to see affects.
Deus user can change freq to see affects,,just remember higher freqs give better unmasking capabilities,,,for example if you find a target using 18khz,,and when you switch to 8 kHz and it disappears completely good chance of heavily masked target,,,even switching to 12 kHz from 18khz can indicate heavily mask target,,,this is especially good to do if you hear iron using iron tone or full tones while running low disc like 0.

Last edited:
That's a ton to sort out. Gonna have to print that and keep it handy as I learn the machine.

Thanks

That's a ton to sort out. Gonna have to print that and keep it handy as I learn the machine.

Thanks

You are welcome.

Just remember no question about Deus is silly or stupid.
It is a unique detector.

Besides,,,other folks are buyers the Deus,,so they too can read here and learn and also share their experiences and expertise.

You are welcome.

Just remember no question about Deus is silly or stupid.
It is a unique detector.

Besides,,,other folks are buyers the Deus,,so they too can read here and learn and also share their experiences and expertise.

is notch, and discrimination the same thing? if you notch 0-72 are you creating a situation that will by close proximity mask the good higher toned targets?

As always, thanks again TNsharpshooter, you are always so helpful!

is notch, and discrimination the same thing? if you notch 0-72 are you creating a situation that will by close proximity mask the good higher toned targets?

As always, thanks again TNsharpshooter, you are always so helpful!

This question about disc and notch gets asked quite a bit.
Using both both cause similar affects.
Are they the same??
Hard to tell,,depending on the detector.

Bottom line is,,,anytime you use one or the other or both,,,uaing can cause some good targets to be missed.

But on the other hand,,depending on the site,,,using appropriate levels can help a person weed out some junk targets,,,so more targets of interest for a detectorists can be detected.

There is no perfect world here unfortunately.

Targets that could be mixed,,,heavier masked targets,,,colocated good targets with other nonferrous junk items.

And the mighty Deus using disc or notch,,,,remember the way it IDs targets,,,for example you can notch a nickel or disc a nickel,,but if nickel is deeper,,it will still sound off.

So notch can be used for example to get rid of more shallow junk targets/clad,,,and then strike the deeper items.

Users of Deus,,with some practice and experience,,,depending on their soil minerals,,users will be able to use settings of freqs,,reactivity, etc to set their Deus up,,and make better use of notch and disc settings.

Last edited:
get you a few silver dimes bury one at 5 inchs and another at nine. Get some silver quarters and do the same and for kicks a couple of silver halfs and do the same. That's a good starting point to see how the machine reacts to deep silver. You can disc up to 2.5 in 3.2 ver and it will cut a little noise out and not hurt depth or anything. These are test with out masking , so silver will sound different in a heavy mask as tnss said. I have a merc at 4 inchs in my garden with 3 nails around it and it picks it out with my relic hot program. The deus hits coins hard (round objects) it loves. I could see where if someone practices coin shooting with it they would be dangerous. shhhh don't tell the mine lab guys I said that lol.

Running the deus with my setup , silver below iron nails ,with no other non ferrous target under coil, make really short back and forth sweeps no more than 2 to 2.5 inches from side to side and start lifting coil as you do so. Usually before I lose I'd it will move from 50 or 60 numbers to the 80's. The farther you get from the iron the better the separation and tid is. If you stay directly over the target like you pinpointed it. If you see the tid numbers increasing you better dig!! Even if it doesn't get in the 80's because a deeper target you will lose the tid number before it reaches 80's.

Forgot to add im still using 3.2 and the only stock program that i am sure works with this method is the relic program, seems like all others failed.

Running the deus with my setup , silver below iron nails ,with no other non ferrous target under coil, make really short back and forth sweeps no more than 2 to 2.5 inches from side to side and start lifting coil as you do so. Usually before I lose I'd it will move from 50 or 60 numbers to the 80's. The farther you get from the iron the better the separation and tid is. If you stay directly over the target like you pinpointed it. If you see the tid numbers increasing you better dig!! Even if it doesn't get in the 80's because a deeper target you will lose the tid number before it reaches 80's.

Ill try this tomorrow, thanks

Back
Top Bottom